International Travels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi!
I am Matisen O'Brien and I was a gymnast at Berks Gymnastics in Reading PA and I am now a senior on the gymnastics team at Ursinus College in Collegeville PA. I am applying for a scholarship from the Watson Foundation to study the differences in the gymnastics culture in other countries to compare it to the USA. Ideally I would like to shadow or even help coach at gyms across Europe (English speaking) so I am looking for any information to help to see if this study could be plausible. If anyone has any international contacts that could help with any information it would be appreciated if it was sent my way!
Thanks,
Matisen

That sounds like a great project, and i’d be really interested about the outcome. There are however a few things you should think about...
Most gyms are in their native language, a lot of the coaches dont know english gymnastics terminology (exceptions are of course there, but most in europe wont be english). Also from country to country coaching qualifications differ. In the USA there is no coaching module, here iT is even needed to assist coaching.

Good luck in your journey, and keep us posted!

Hi!
I am Matisen O'Brien and I was a gymnast at Berks Gymnastics in Reading PA and I am now a senior on the gymnastics team at Ursinus College in Collegeville PA. I am applying for a scholarship from the Watson Foundation to study the differences in the gymnastics culture in other countries to compare it to the USA. Ideally I would like to shadow or even help coach at gyms across Europe (English speaking) so I am looking for any information to help to see if this study could be plausible. If anyone has any international contacts that could help with any information it would be appreciated if it was sent my way!
Thanks,
Matisen
The Watson Fellowship is an amazing opportunity! I’d be careful with the coaching aspect of your proposal. It might come too close to being employed, which you know isn’t allowed. You’re very brave to try and become a fellow. Not everyone would be willing to leave the US for a full year! Best of luck to you!

The Watson Fellowship is an amazing opportunity! I’d be careful with the coaching aspect of your proposal. It might come too close to being employed, which you know isn’t allowed. You’re very brave to try and become a fellow. Not everyone would be willing to leave the US for a full year! Best of luck to you!
Thank you for the good tip and I appreciate the support!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back