Introduction-Advice needed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mommeeluv

Proud Parent
Hello,

My daughter has been asked to join the team after her first rec class. Can you guys please tell me what to look forward to? I'm new in the gymnastics world and would love some advice and comments on what to expect.

Every gym is different.
Different practice hour requirements (low hours to crazy high hours, at every level this is true).
Different parent requirements (booster club or not, volunteer hours or not or buyout option or not, fundraising requirement or not, etc).
Different costs (practice time, meet fees, coaches fees, competition leotard and warmups, USAG membership or USAIGC membership, possibly required practice leotard or gymbag, team yearly membership fee or not) that may be paid in installments or individually, depending on the gym.

The best thing to do is ask at your gym about costs and hours, etc.

Congrats to your DD and good luck.

I would make a list of questions to ask here at the outset--Mostly about costs, hours, expectations of parents and gymnasts. Then see if you can meet with the coaches to ask those questions now. I feel like as time goes on there are less opportunities to really ask all of these questions and you start just sort of going with the flow. Also if you see some gym moms of team girls hanging around you may be able to ask them some general what are things like here questions. I know I have answered a lot of questions for some preteam moms and I asked a lot of questions of the team moms when we were on preteam. Plus it will give you an idea of the team culture at the gym...generally speaking if the parents seem normal and open to a few questions that's a good overall sign.

Thank you guys for getting back to me. I guess I will start by asking questions at the gym. I didn't want to feel like a pest by asking too many questions but If you're saying it's best to do it now I will. I found out the monthly fees in their handbook so I know what I'm looking at price wise. Her first practice for team will be tomorrow, so I hope everything goes well with her. Mugglemom did your child take rec classes first before joining preteam? I just wonder if my DD will like the team as much as rec classes. She loves the sport a lot! I just want to make sure she is still having fun.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back