Parents Introduction and Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mcterry0102

Proud Parent
Hi! I wanted to introduce myself as I have been reading for a while. My 7 year old son will begin competing L4 in 2 weeks! I am very new to this and am hoping to learn from you all. I am a figure skating coach, so some things are similar but not most things! His coaches told me he would be competing 4 - 1 which I think is with bonuses, but he doesn’t have all of the bonuses, does that matter? Also, his birthday is in February so he will compete as an 8 year old?
On a somewhat unrelated note there is a high probability that we will be moving across the country in the not so distant future. I am hoping it’s not til after the season is over, but has anyone moved mid-season? Did you miss competitions? We will be moving to Fort Worth, Texas. I have called some of the gyms down there but are there any gyms you would recommend? We plan to try them out, but if we move mid season we won’t have much time to try out gyms. We will likely be living in Keller if that helps. I hear traffic is bad there, so it’s hard for me to know exactly how far places are. One more question, what are average hours for level 4 boys? I know we are WAY on the low end but I was kind of shocked at the hours of the gyms I called in Texas! Thanks for any information you might have.

I cant help with any of your questions- Im a Canadian mom of a male gymnast and our mens system is different then yours.
I just wanted to say Welcome! Enjoy the ride - MAG is alot of fun, and a real neat community!

Welcome to CB and toMen's gymnastics! I love seeing new little boys getting started. I am the owner of a 2nd year L10 boy. It is quite a fun sport!!

Not sure about Texas, but I can answer some other questions.

I think my ds did about 6-8 hours a week at L4.

Level 4-1 is with the bonuses. Some gyms will compete boys without all of them, some gyms require all of them. It varies so much. Yes, he will be competitive age 8 for this season.

Welcome and ask as many questions as you want. We have all been there trying to figure things out!!

Welcome to Chalk Bucket and the fun journey of boys gymnastics! I too have a16yo (he will
Compete 17yo) level 10 boy. A few things, currently age is determined by a cut off date in May, somyes your dome will be consisted 8yo for the season. My boy did 4-6 hrs at level 4. The gym we are at now, the 4s do 6 hours. As ska said, some gyms require all bonuses, many don’t. At this level just encourage him to have fun, and do his best. Level 4 is about the experience of competing. I am not familiar with Texas gyms, also be aware that if you move mud-season he may not get to compete with the new gym until next season. Really depends on the gym.

Hi! I wanted to introduce myself as I have been reading for a while. My 7 year old son will begin competing L4 in 2 weeks! I am very new to this and am hoping to learn from you all. I am a figure skating coach, so some things are similar but not most things! His coaches told me he would be competing 4 - 1 which I think is with bonuses, but he doesn’t have all of the bonuses, does that matter? Also, his birthday is in February so he will compete as an 8 year old?
On a somewhat unrelated note there is a high probability that we will be moving across the country in the not so distant future. I am hoping it’s not til after the season is over, but has anyone moved mid-season? Did you miss competitions? We will be moving to Fort Worth, Texas. I have called some of the gyms down there but are there any gyms you would recommend? We plan to try them out, but if we move mid season we won’t have much time to try out gyms. We will likely be living in Keller if that helps. I hear traffic is bad there, so it’s hard for me to know exactly how far places are. One more question, what are average hours for level 4 boys? I know we are WAY on the low end but I was kind of shocked at the hours of the gyms I called in Texas! Thanks for any information you might have.
I don't know how close Keller is to WOGA Frisco but they have a great program, so does Eagle gymnastics also in Frisco as well as Texas Dreams. We are in the Houston area but these are the teams I recognize that do well at meets.

I can’t help at all on TX gyms, but chiming in on hours. My son was a level 4 last year and they did 9 hours, which might be a bit on the higher end? I know they did a lot of conditioning. He did do bonuses last year. They didn’t have to have all of them ready before the start of the season, but at least a few, and they added to them as the season went. By the end of the season, I think he was still the only one who had the press handstand on floor and the only one who did the bonuses on mushroom and it took him until the last regular season meet to do the second one. He’s likely doing division 2 this year (so no bonuses) although he is training them. He’s struggling a bit on the ones for HB and rings, so his coaches have decided D2 for now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back