Off Topic Invisible Children

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gracefulone

I can't believe I haven't posted on this before. This cause is extremely important to me. This group raises money to help children affected by the civil war in Uganda. Children have been kidnapped and forced to kill and kidnap other children, and have watched their parents die. Here's a blurb I wrote about it for a college application. The attachment goes into a lot more depth, and is a full-length essay I wrote.

Invisible Children Club is a student-run organization. Last year, our school raised over $25,000 in just a few months to aid impoverished children in war-torn Northern Uganda. Being a part of it helped me realize how lucky I really am, and that my 'bad' day would be a dream come true in the eyes of my Ugandan counterparts. I can go to school, use computers, and see my family every day, without having to live in constant fear of murders and kidnappings. I sincerely believe it has changed my life. It has provoked me to pursue a career path where I could actually do something big, bigger than just me. Every single day, I think about how privileged I am. These kids are always in my thoughts and I am so glad I am able to partake in the movement for peace.

Anyway, I've joined a new group of supporters linked through word of mouth and the world wide web, and it's taken me even further.

One of our 'assignments' for Club this week was to show our schools for schools page to at least 2 people. I thought, why just 2? So here it is: https://s4s.invisiblechildren.com/school/waukesha-north-high-school
Our sister school is Layibi, a secondary school destroyed by the war. We're in the midst of a competition to send someone to Africa for hands-on experience. We're doing a book drive, a walkathon, miracle minute, music night, and so much more.

For more information, see Invisible Children - Invisible Children
There's a history of the war, and how you can get involved.

Attachments

• ShowDocs.pdf
    8.6 KB · Views: 96
Sounds like a great organization to be involved in, gracefulone! Your super involvement in all these cool things (in addition to being a really good student and sports including gym) never ceases to amaze me!

Awesomeness! See I thought I was the only one involved in these sort of things. I got involved from the diving coach at my pool. He was wearing the shirt one day and I asked him about it. It's an awesome thing to be a part of. :)

Awesomeness! See I thought I was the only one involved in these sort of things. I got involved from the diving coach at my pool. He was wearing the shirt one day and I asked him about it. It's an awesome thing to be a part of. :)

It's cool to hear how different people found out about it. I saw a story on Oprah done by Lisa Ling.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back