Parents Involvement in other sports

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey parents! Just wondering about involvement in other sports----how many of you have girls who are competing gymnasts and are involved in any other sports? Also, do any of your girls take dance and gymnastics?

As long as the season's don't conflict, sure!

Both girls have played softball (summer season). Back when dd2 was a compulsory (fall season), she played basketball (winter season). Nobody's been in dance class for a while, but dd1 does color guard during marching band season. Both kids play piano and play in the school bands. Yes, we are single-handedly responsible for a big chunk of the global warming problem because or all the driving. :D

Other ativities seemed more managable back when the girls were in compulsory levels. It's tougher for optionals because of the longer gymnastics practices. It also seems tougher for older girls. High school meant more homework, more desire for a social life, and more commitment required from those other activities.

Skiing, downhill and cross country, and snowboarding at least one day a week. Skating too. But, no other sport competitively, there is just not enough time in the day.

No dance, though they both would benefit from it...:eek:

My Cate is only involved in dance this year, although in past years she has done cheerleading and played softball in the summer. Softball wasn't a problem time wise, we train during the day in the summer, but she didn't like the cool weather in the spring, and the hot temps in the summer.

Her dance company is also at the gym, which makes it easy for us. The instructor is careful to place her class on a gym off day, and she has been dancing for 4 years. She does ballet and has just moved up to pointe. She loves the gracefulness of dance, and I think it helps her in her floor and beam. She is very excited because she will have a solo in this springs show. Also because it is at the gym, her coaches are willing to let her participate in special dance things during class, and these only happen during the off season.

during the year my girls are also in Dance and Girlscouts! and till they made preteam they were in WEd night church too!! now they have practice those nights

summer along with Gymnastics *all year round for us* they also do soccer tho that is only on sundays and may do acamp through the school system!!

I am thinking about a dance class for Lily, but I am not sure when I can shoehorn it into her schedule. Between gym and school and my other children's activities, there is no free time! I am hoping that they provide dance this summer at the gym as they have said they will. The thing about dance around here (not sure how it is in other areas) is that you often have to pay for costumes and a recital and then photos (it gets pricey) and it's hard to find a dance studio that does just ballet. If I sign her up for dance, it will probably be through Virginia Ballet Theater's summer program because they have a ballet only (no recital) program with class times on Saturdays. I think taking dance would be great for any gymnast.

Meg

our team girls have dance class built into their practice schedule. I think it is important for floor and beam

My DD runs track - this will be her 4th year - short season only from March to May; she also did cheerleading this year for middle school. Schedules have been a challenge. She really likes cheerleading.:confused: She takes 1 hr of ballet a week at gym as part of her 20 hr schedule.

How do you guys have the time???

My DD is at gymnastics from 3:45 - 7:15 on Mondays and from 3:45 - 6:15 on Wednesdays. Then, she goes to Wed. night church. Every other day, she doesn't get home from school until 4 pm (I have to pick her up on gym days) and is in bed by 8. That's all she does. I'm afraid anything else would be way too much.

I think it is OK until about level 8 and then I think the training becomes intesne enough the gymnast needs to choose.

DD is in Girl Scouts only because I am the leader and meetings are planned around her practice schedule. This summer she will get ballet class at the gym, and I think that she will also have swim lessons as summer is the only time that she can take them.

Barb

My dd stays pretty busy mon,tues&thurs gym 6-8:30 Wed girlscouts6:30-8 fri night is free she either spending the night at a friends house or her grandparents since I work on sat,so sat she has all day to play unless there is a meet or g.s event sunday morning is horse back riding lessons then the rest of the day is ours .which there is usually something going on the weekands meet or girlscouts,b-day parties etc.I would love to get her in a ballet class this summer (shes not real graceful).

How do you guys have the time???

My DD is at gymnastics from 3:45 - 7:15 on Mondays and from 3:45 - 6:15 on Wednesdays. Then, she goes to Wed. night church. Every other day, she doesn't get home from school until 4 pm (I have to pick her up on gym days) and is in bed by 8. That's all she does. I'm afraid anything else would be way too much.

Personally, I think we're insane. Something you'll learn about gymnasts, though, give them a day with no practice, and they very quickly find another activity to fill it and then beg for permission to participate. The intense drive that compels a girl to optional levels isn't limited to just the sport. It turns up everywhere.

Our nightmare of a schedule looks like this: Gym MTThF 4-8, then home for dinner, homework, bedtime (9:30 for dd2, usually 10:30 for dd1, but remember, my kids are in middle and high school). Piano on Sunday afternoon, church in the morning. Church Weds night--confirmation for dd2, bell chior for dd1. Band/Guard for dd1 is early morning (6:40 am during the season). Jazz band and math bee for dd2 are right after school (3-3:45, then her dad picks her up for gym). When we're playing a sport, like softball, there's a lot of leaving practice early during the month of May. In June, gym moves to day practices and softball is at night. Any downtime? Well, Weds after school, Saturday, Sunday after about 2:00 pm. Probably not enough.

When my dd1 retires at the end of the season, she probably isn't going to know what to do with herself. We've already talked to the gym owner about a job!

Personally, I think we're insane. Something you'll learn about gymnasts, though, give them a day with no practice, and they very quickly find another activity to fill it and then beg for permission to participate. The intense drive that compels a girl to optional levels isn't limited to just the sport. It turns up everywhere.

This is funny because when my DD has down time, she's usually on the trampoline (weather permitting) or downstairs in her "gymnastics room" where she has a bar, beam and mats. Of course, she does the usual girl/kid things like coloring, art projects and playing with her brothers but she's never mentioned wanting to do anything besides gymnastics.

My dd runs track and field for her school in the spring, with summer practices through another coach, and she dives in the summer on the days she isn't doing track and field. She was also on the diving team this winter but didn't make it to many practices due to gymnastics. But, her favorite sport besides gymnastics is shopping!

my dd is a purple belt in karate and was doing girlscouts and cheerleading before we moved.

my DD does girlscouts and hula right now. she will be stopping hula over summer (teacher does it out of her home) and she will probably be doing jazz/ballet class on saturdays until hula starts again (i love how it is just for fun, relaxed environment). she will also do swim lessons for 2 weeks in the summer because she is afraid of the water and is slowly warming up to it. :D

i refuse to do anything else in the evenings, especially since team will be 3 days a week and currently with 2, that is plenty. we are a family and the whole family can't revolve around her. LOL. as much as she would love that, who wouldn't. :D plus, we need a little family time with her papi, since he works a lot.

she already knows that she can't do everything. we couldn't afford any more than we do anyways. gymnastics is so expensive. she wants to ice skate, too. impossible. she has to pick one major thing and for now, it is gymnastics.

i also think that kids need some kind of down time, to learn to relax and not be busy all the time. i know i get stressed from the constant go go go and need that down time. my kids seem to as well.

School work is #1 - grades have to be kept up. With 4 kids in the family they each get to chose 1 extra-curricular activity. That still gives time for family activities.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back