Ireland gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
On a few different occasions on vacations, my daughter has had a private lesson, or practiced with a team, while away.
We will be in Ireland for 2.5 weeks this summer. I don't know that she's willing to do it (as it scares her to practice with strangers, but always is glad she did it... and this summer is a big deal because she's about to move up to optionals, so she might just want the practice), but before I even ask her, I wanted to see if I could even find somewhere she could go.

I've started searching via google, and google maps. I've come across a couple of websites that talk about junior display team, senior display team.

What I'm wondering, if any of you are at all familiar with the USAG levels, what should I look for at a gym to see if they have competitive teams equivalent to level 6/7 optionals?
I'd really be looking for some time to work skills - ROBHSBT, FT, BWO on beam, and bars.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure about Ireland, but Northern Ireland is part of the UK, here she would be a level 5/4, depending how competitive the club is.

Ireland is a fair size, any clue on where you and Esme will be going ?

Not sure about Ireland, but Northern Ireland is part of the UK, here she would be a level 5/4, depending how competitive the club is.

Ireland is a fair size, any clue on where you and Esme will be going ?
ESME! LOL!

We will actually be in Northern Ireland for two days, but immediately upon arriving, after travelling.
then over to Sligo (western Ireland) for one night.
5 days in East Clare
2 nights in Kerry
2 nights in waterford or kilkenny (still to be determined)
then 3 nights in dublin.

I'd love for somewhere in East Clare, as that would be right in the middle of the whole trip, and also when we are in one place and not scurrying about touristing so much.

I did send a note to Ennis Gymnastics Club to see if they allow visiting gymnasts. I tried my best not to sound too stupid.

I don't know that she'd definitely want to do it. When we went to Hawaii a couple years ago, she was very excited to do a private (it was more for fun, and I really do like getting outside coaches, maybe a new pointer or two). Last spring break, we were in New Orleans, and a very nice gym offered her to practice with their team girls (which I thought was very cool). She gets nervous, and worked up (thinking she's going to embarrass herself, etc). But she finally went in, and had a good time. She liked how the coach critiqued her just like the rest of the team.

Now, a year older, and especially now when she's really trying to master her skills before summer, rather than in september (the kip last year was a nail-biter!), she just might want to work on it while we're away.

I know when she's older, she will think it was really cool to practice in these different places, it's just a matter of how much anxiety it causes. Little Desdemona is not always the easiest 'tween...

p.s. I do know that Ireland isn't UK, but I figured someone over here might have more info than me ;)

tbh, we don't really "do" privates here, so it would be just joining in with a session.
That's very good to know!!!
Thank you!

Honestly, I'd be happy with her just being able to be in a gym for an hour to condition a little, work on the beam a little, do some tumbling, and feel good. But only if she WANTS to.

Now I'm wondering if maybe there is an open gym night somewhere...

Open gyms are VERY rare in the UK I have never heard of any gyms doing open gyms around here
The only gyms I have heard of in Ireland and northern Ireland are renmore which is a good standered gym and I think they have gymnasts in the Irish squad and salto which is a very very good gym who produced gymnasts such as India mcpeak and Casey-jo bell (YouTube them if you don't know them) which is in Northern Ireland:) sorry can't be much more help than that don't know much about Ireland

Thank you.
I just mapped out Renmore. We would be going through Galway on a sunday.
I emailed a gym in Dublin, they said that they have strict coach/gymnast ratios and can't fit her.
I emailed another gym in Ennis that would be the perfect geographical choice. I'll see what they say.

This would be fun and exciting for her, but it just might not work out...

I'm sure you've already looked at it, but Gymnastics Ireland has a fantastic website that they keep very well updated. I wonder if you just e-mail them they might have some ideas for you? Or could perhaps even tell you if it is even a possibility and point you in the right direction.
Levels in Ireland range from 1-9, so I would imagine your daughter would be in a somewhat comparable numerical level, give or take.
If you look at the results pages you can get a sense of what clubs offer a competitive style program as opposed to those that are more rec/acro/performance based. Not sure where exactly you will be, but Nadia has a good program in Mayo.
Have a blast in Ireland! My family went when I was a teenager and did the western part, it was fantastic!

Thank you @coachmolly !
I have seen the website. Because of various time constraints, I didn't want to get someone too important get involved. - LOL!
I didn't want to be like "Oh thank you, but that won't work for us. Neither will that. Or that", you know?
I've emailed a couple more this morning that fit with our geographic schedule.
I'm cool with a gym that is rec based, as long as they have bars, a beam, and a floor. She wouldn't need so much "coaching', she could even do well with just open gym time.
I'll see what happens.
I just think it would be so cool for her to say she practiced in Ireland :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back