WAG Is a cast off to stand dismount on bars considered one skill or two?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Peanutbuttercup

Proud Parent
I fear we are one skill short in our Xcel Bronze bar routine based on scores in our last two meets. Can anyone definitively tell me if a cast off to stand dismount is considered one skill or two (cast + dismount)? I believe I have seen it iterpreted differently by different judges.

Thanks in advance!

You should be able to do pullover, cast back hip circle, cast off to stand though. You would need a circling element anyway? I'm trying to figure out what routine they would be doing that could even meet the other requirements.

She is doing a Pullover, Front Hip Circle, Cast Off Dismount. I think just adding an extra cast before the cast off dismount should get her the required skills, yes?

Also, let me add - she has a very powerful back hip circle, but has a hand difference - her right hand isn't fully formed. I think for safety's sake the coaches switched it to a front hip circle, but this means she no longer has a cast in her routine. I am trying to figure out to politely tell them she is missing an element! ;)

She is doing a Pullover, Front Hip Circle, Cast Off Dismount. I think just adding an extra cast before the cast off dismount should get her the required skills, yes?
Yes, adding a cast between the front hip and dismount would do it. And the original routine only starts from 9.0, it's missing the first(4 A value parts) and second(cast) special requirements.

Reactions: sce
Yes, adding a cast between the front hip and dismount would do it. And the original routine only starts from 9.0, it's missing the first(4 A value parts) and second(cast) special requirements.

Interestingly enough, she has scored over a 9.0 on it 4 times out of 5. Doesn't that seem crazy? Judging by her scores and the deductions I am noting I believe they are somehow starting her at a 9.5.

I think judges are still struggling to make sense of the (often changing) Xcel rules. It sounds like adding a cast for pullover + front hip + cast + cast-away is the safe way to go. It sounds like they are giving her credit where they maybe shouldn't be.

I think judges are still struggling to make sense of the (often changing) Xcel rules. It sounds like adding a cast for pullover + front hip + cast + cast-away is the safe way to go. It sounds like they are giving her credit where they maybe shouldn't be.

Yep, hopefully we have gotten to a point now where the rules won't change every month and we all can learn a consistent set of rules. I know a lot of judges are thrown off by the total value parts as a special requirement for bronze/silver/gold. They automatically go to missing an A takes 0.1 off(like JO optionals), when if you are missing one you lose the whole requirement, 0.5 off.

Hmm. Thats a tough one. Did they flash her start value (they should but sometimes it's a small thing) or write it on the scorecard? Could you just say you noticed something that said a 9.5 start value at the meet and ask them to look into it? Kind of awkward.

Yes, they flashed a start value which prompted me to ask an old coach who is also a judge. She agrees with what you guys are saying... So I emailed the coaches this, but haven't gotten a response yet. I'm hoping they don't think I'm the worst...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back