WAG Is a front aerial possible for me? Any tips appreciated!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't know if I have come to the right here, but I decided to try!

I know nobody can predict the future, nobody knows what a person can do and it depends on many factors. But as you all have some sort of gymnastics background, I will be happy with any subjective opinion or tip!

I did gymnastics+dance as kid, but only 3 times a week. Had a 3-year break, because we moved.
I started Aerial Silk 3 years ago and train everyday. I am 17 years old.

I would say I am pretty strong (I can climb a silk and rope legless very fast with my legs above horizontal, I can do a dozen leg lifts on stall bars, can do press handstands, have strong legs) and flexible (all splits, nice bridge, kick over,...)

I also started tumbling again a few months ago. I tumble everyday for an hour but I only tumble on "hard floor", because at the gym we only have a trampoline and a pretty hard dance floor.

So far I ca do:
Carthweel, Walkovers, Round-Off, Standing Front Handspring, Standing Back Handspring, Back+Front Handspring step out, Standing Back Tuck (but it scares me!!!), and I can do a running front tuck but I try to limit it on the hard floor, because I sometimes land with my knees lower than 90 degrees which I want to avoid.
I am close to my standing side aerial.

I am a really big fan of aerial skills, I love how they look!!!

I was thinking about starting to learn a front aerial and a back handspring layout step out for quite a while and been switching between being really motivated and then saying "I will never get it anyways".

Here are my concerns:

• A side Aerial on the tramp didn't take me that long, maybe 2 weeks, however, I have quite a hard time putting in on floor but am really close.

• For the front aerial, I still can not do one on the tramp. I have only tried a few times, but couldn't get yet. I always twist awkwardly and can not control it. But I think I might get it soon if I keep working. The thing is I do not know how hard it is putting on the floor if I have already troubles on tramp. Is it a possible goal if you are not naturally made for it?

• And the layout step out. I can do a standing layout step out on the tramp as well as a back handspring layout step out. But on the hard floor it feels so much harder and almost impossible (How do people do that on a beam????) I have only done back handspring-back handspring but I am scared to go for the layout, I am sure I won't make it yet. I am trying to get really high on the second handspring.

So to sum up everything:
    I train everyday (except Wednesday). I do warm-ups, stretch, aerial silk, tumbling and strength training.

My only goals are keeping my body in the shape it is right now for the next years, I do not have any more strength or flexibility goals, I am happy and enjoy it. But I would really like to get my standing side aerial, which I will soon. I do not know if I should give the front aerial and back handspring layout step out a try as it feel the only surface I will ever tumble on will be a hard floor or grass and I can imagine those skills being really difficult.

Any tips are appreciated!

I absolutely think you can learn a forward aerial. In fact, I know you can!

The main things involved in this skill are explosive power and flexibility. You already stated that you have good flexibility, and I'm assuming since you have the ability to do back handsprings on floor, and especially since you're close to a standing aerial on floor, then you are capable of the power it requires to do a forward aerial.
I would suggest doing lots of variations of forward acro and tumbling skills, and doing them with special attention to staying even and square with no twisting. Some examples would be forward walkovers, tik toks, handstand to front limber, handstand forward roll, walkouts (handstand to forward walkover exit), front handsprings, front handspring step-outs, front tucks, etc. Then you can start adding variations to the forward walkover, like doing it with one hand, switching your legs halfway through, doing it super fast, doing it with more jump before placing your hands down (dive walkover), etc. Focus on what you feel and what you see during all of these skills. I can give you some more specific drills too, if you like, but some require certain equipment.

As for the layout step-out, not quite as much flexibility is required as for the front aerial, but you still need a considerable amount of power. If your back handspring step-out is powerful and you have a quick chest rise at the end, the connection won't be too difficult.

I want to warn you not too do excessive amounts of these skills though! You don't want to hurt your back (front aerial) or your wrists (back handspring step-out) by overdoing them.

Go for it! I bet you can learn these skills without too much difficulty!

I absolutely think you can learn a forward aerial. In fact, I know you can!

The main things involved in this skill are explosive power and flexibility. You already stated that you have good flexibility, and I'm assuming since you have the ability to do back handsprings on floor, and especially since you're close to a standing aerial on floor, then you are capable of the power it requires to do a forward aerial.
I would suggest doing lots of variations of forward acro and tumbling skills, and doing them with special attention to staying even and square with no twisting. Some examples would be forward walkovers, tik toks, handstand to front limber, handstand forward roll, walkouts (handstand to forward walkover exit), front handsprings, front handspring step-outs, front tucks, etc. Then you can start adding variations to the forward walkover, like doing it with one hand, switching your legs halfway through, doing it super fast, doing it with more jump before placing your hands down (dive walkover), etc. Focus on what you feel and what you see during all of these skills. I can give you some more specific drills too, if you like, but some require certain equipment.

As for the layout step-out, not quite as much flexibility is required as for the front aerial, but you still need a considerable amount of power. If your back handspring step-out is powerful and you have a quick chest rise at the end, the connection won't be too difficult.

I want to warn you not too do excessive amounts of these skills though! You don't want to hurt your back (front aerial) or your wrists (back handspring step-out) by overdoing them.

Go for it! I bet you can learn these skills without too much difficulty!

OH THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Two more questions:

Do you think the layout step out would be easier coming from a cartwheel? Although I think it will be tricky, because you land twisted, I might be able to get more power?

Do you require a Back Handspring stepout Back Tuck First?
I am sure I could do it, but somehow I am a little afraid of the tucking motion, although I can do a back tuck up to 2 panel mats on floor.

Thank You!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back