Is anyone else bothered that Nastia wore pink?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The entire team wore pink at prelims.. I was suprised Shawn did not.
It might be as simple as each girls wore the one that felt most comfortable to them. personally I think the pink is prettier and more visible.

I just think we you look back at Mary Lou winning her gold medal, you always know that the vault she was doing on the video was at the Olympics because of her stars and stripes leo.

Isn't it her signature color or favorite color or something? All the gym equip with her name on it is pink. Maybe it helped her feel more confident? I always feel better in colors I like.

I think she looked beautiful in it. I don't like pink, but it suits her for sure. I actually wish that Shawn would have worn blue if she was trying to portray USA or a different color. I don't think she looks particularly good in red (that shade), but maybe it is her fave color?

I thought she looked beautiful! She absolutely glowed! She would have represented the U.S. in the most positive light whether she wore pink, or purple with green polka dots! It's not the color of the leo that mattered but the drive, determination, and the excellence in the performance of the athlete! Go U.S.A.!

It looked good on her but I was just confused as to how one of the Olympic leos was pink at all. Doesn't particularly bother me, just seems like an interesting choice. I like the one Shawn wore, but red looks good on her. At least no flesh colored inserts that obviously don't match some people's skin tone this time around.

I am a total pink fan so i think it wasa fine. I do understand that some would like to see the USA colors but i dont think that pink makes her any less proud of where she is from. I agree she may just have felt more comfortable in it. When so much of this sport is mentally tough also i say go pink have have a great time. Shawn looks good in any color I think. I am proud of both of them.:eek:

The first thing my daughter said when she saw the highlights this morning was I LOVE Nastia's outfit! (She is 4 and pink is her favorite color). She told me that we have to find a pink leo just like Nastia's. It will probably be a hit with a lot of the younger gymnasts for sure! I personally would have liked to see them all wearing more patriotic colors but it doesnt bother me that she wore pink. If she felt more comfortable in it - than good!

Nah, it doesn't bug me. Look at the German beach volleyball team-their uniforms are pink. When asked why they didn't wear German colors, they said pink looks better on them and makes them play better!

I think it would have been nice if she had worn something more patriotic, but it's really a moot point now. As far as wearing whichever made her most comfortable, it looked to me like the pink and red leos were the same style just different colors.

I donno I know pink may be her color, but at the Olympics even when it's an Individual medal you're still representing your country not just yourself. On the other hand, this is the USA where we value individuality and freedom of expression so if pink makes her happy, so be it!

As you can tell my feelings are mixed LOL

~Katy

I don't really care what color Nastia was wearing because she won AA gold!!! She could have been wearing china's team suit and I still wouldn't care. That might have been kinda weird though. Because they might have gotten confused and played the Chinese national anthem.But Pink is Nastia's style! My mom was like Nastia should get 5 extra points for the leotard! She looks so girly and cute and everyone else is all rugged. But she still won!haha.

I liked it!!! I thought she would have worn white though. But the hot pink was majorly cool. Everyone at gym had pink leos on today lol- coincidence or what?

No, it looked nice on her. The Canadian gymnasts rarely wear red and white either, it is kind of limiting, plus so many other countries have red, white and blue in their flags, It can hardly be called American. France, UK and the US are jst 3 off the top of my head, they'd all end up looking the same.

Nastia loves pink, so why not, it was all about being an individual.

Don't get me wrong, I like pink as much as the next person. My thought is this:

When you see a video of Mary Lou doing a vault and she is wearing the flag leotard.... you say " that is at the Olympics when she won the gold medal".

When you see video of Nastia doing a floor routine in her pink leotard, you won't know where it is since she has worn pink in many competitions and it wont give instant recognition to the gold/olympics.

I like the recognition Mary Lou's leo gave her. I am not anti-pink.

How about the "gold" bow in Shawn's hair...

I know I am being picky, but where was the red, white and blue?

I don't see pink on the American flag!

Did anyone notice the gold bow in Shawn's hair?? Maybe I am reading into it a bit, but some can say that that was a very presumptuous (sp?) thing to do - gold bow= gold medal???;)

Some can say the same thing about wearing a gold bow when there was no gold in her leo (just red) and no gold in the "red, white and blue".

Usually in the individual all arounds, the athletes wear whatever they want--that is why it is called Individual all-around. Pink is Nastia's signature color so when you identify the All-around champion you generally think first names, not particularly countries they are from. In the team competition it is the team that is more prominent and focused on.

Not trying to be a smart@ss or anything...Just a thought...

Last edited:
I think the gold bow was to go with the sequins on the front of the leo. I couldn't really tell what color they were but I don't think it was presumptuous at all. I thought she looked nice. Now if she'd worn one of those huge flashy Christmas wreath bows.....

The entire team wore pink at prelims.. I was suprised Shawn did not.
It might be as simple as each girls wore the one that felt most comfortable to them. personally I think the pink is prettier and more visible.

That was podium training where they all wore pink. Teams often wear random colored leos for training.

No, I don't have a problem with it, but then I'm not from the Us so don't have the whole patriotism thing going. I think Nastia looked great in pink. The colour suits her better than red (I think). I was also really pleased that she won. She had an awesome competition.:):bars:

Did anyone notice the gold bow in Shawn's hair?? Maybe I am reading into it a bit, but some can say that that was a very presumptuous (sp?) thing to do - gold bow= gold medal???;)

Some can say the same thing about wearing a gold bow when there was no gold in her leo (just red) and no gold in the "red, white and blue".

Usually in the individual all arounds, the athletes wear whatever they want--that is why it is called Individual all-around. Pink is Nastia's signature color so when you identify the All-around champion you generally think first names, not particularly countries they are from. In the team competition it is the team that is more prominent and focused on.

Not trying to be a smart@ss or anything...Just a thought...

at the olympic trials she pointed to a white ribbon in her hair and said to someone "tell carol i wore the ribbon she gave me" maybe this was under the same circumstances maybe carol (i can't swear by that name) is a family friend or family member that couldn't be there but gave her a ribbon to wear - kinda like something borrowed something blue - just a thought - i have no idea why i even remember seeing that other than the fact my dd has watched the olympic trials on tivo about 400 times!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back