Off Topic Is anyone here good with technology?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

W

wizzie

We just got a new modem. The wifi works on all other devices. When I go on my sister's laptop and type in the password, it says it is connected but it does not load the Internet. I have to go to advanced settings to re-enter the password. But it shortens the password up! The password should be 16 dots (the password is hidden) long, but when I go to advanced settings, it is only 8 dots long. I have retyped it in about 3 times now, and tried the Internet, but it still doesn't work because the password keeps being shortened. This is an Acer Aspire One. I just ran a scan on it to check if there are any viruses on it and it said there weren't any. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Have you tried making the password visible so you can check What you are typing ? That Might help.

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Oh I feel your pain. I have been going through this kind of madness with hubby's Acer powerbook. It drove me absolutely insane. I literally wasted days of my life trying to fix the problem. In the end I bought a new router and it fixed the issue. If you google the issue you will see that you are not alone.

You do have regular access to the internet for the other computers, right?

Which OS? Wiki for the AspireOne shows it could be WinXP SP3, Vista, Win7 or even a version on Linux.

Check to make sure you are selecting the correct encryption type.

I think you need to "talk" to the modem and play with the configuration settings. Primarily how many users are allowed which might be why that other laptop can connect to your wireless network yet isn't being given access to the internet.

Http://192.168.1.1 is the standard address given to a gateway

if you type this in your browser bar, it should direct you to the modem's settings (and may or may not have a password to access these settings)

if you can run the dos applet CMD(32).exe, Command Prompt, you can type in ping google.com and see if can send and recieve packets to google. if you type in ipconfig, this will show you all your settings (which can also be done under properties Network&Sharing Center/Ethernet/Properties under ControlPanel)

Unfortunately, I have forgotten my IM+ login (and name) and I think my AIM needs to have it's password reset as well. I can still be reached on Gmail talk though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, I'm not really following you. What is the reasoning for typing that into the browser? You lost me after that.

We read on the paper that came with our modem that it has to be configured with WPA2, but ours was set up as WPA2-PSK, with the data encryption as AES. So we looked up how to get it configured and did that, but then when we go back and type in the password, it still doesn't work! Then we go to check to see if the password stayed, and it changed BOTH the password back to 8 characters, and the WPA2 back to WPA2-PSK. It is very frustrating!

Oh I feel your pain. I have been going through this kind of madness with hubby's Acer powerbook. It drove me absolutely insane. I literally wasted days of my life trying to fix the problem. In the end I bought a new router and it fixed the issue. If you google the issue you will see that you are not alone.

I feel it would be a waste, because we just got a new router because our old one wasn't working! Now we can't get the new one working. It seems technology is winning this war. :/

You do all that stuff to check internet connectivity.

Make sure you save your settings after changing them.

Bare in mind all of this can be very tricky. Find someone to set it all up for you. There is bound to be someone in your gym who does IT for a living and might be conned into it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back