Parents Is it bad

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LTmom

Proud Parent
If your DD is on a very small compulsory team with a lot of ...lesser skilled girls? I understand that means with low scoring teammates they probably won’t win team trophies but honestly DD only cares about the trophy or medal she gets to take home. So if she just goes for individual awards, does that mean the overall team weakness doesn’t matter?

I think the answer to this question depends. Do the girls have lesser skills because they are not receiving adequate training/conditioning at this gym or is it just that the natural ability isn’t there but the gym will take any girl who wants to compete onto team? If it’s the latter, I would say it doesn’t matter. If it’s the first one, then eventually your dd will start to fall behind as well, despite whatever natural ability she has right now.

If I understand your question correctly, gymnastics is both an individual sport as it is a team sport. However, it is my opinion that JO is first an individual sport. A winning team does not get the college scholarship. The individual athlete does. However, when you do college gym, it is the other way around. The team gets the recognition before the individual. While at JO though, you want to support your teammates as much as possible but there is nothing wrong if you try to shine all on your own.

I am not sure I understand your question or concern.

Team scores are compiled by individual scores.

If your daughter performs well, her score contribute to the team score. No matter what her motivation for doing well is. She doesn't opt out of the team score.

Regarding the team aspect. College being the prime example. Team score is important so not every person on the team competes or competes all events. However when they do compete an event they are expected to perform well and whatever event they compete, adds (or in the case of a bad execution of a routine, subtracts) contributes to team score.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back