WAG Is it unusual to be weakest at tumbling? (Longish)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LindyHopper

Proud Parent
I am going to preface this with a couple things:
1) coaches are content with her progress, and are thrilled with her work ethic
2) I trust the coaches and am not worried, merely curious.

Short Stack is tiny--10.5 years old and can still wear a 6X. She is also the type of gymnasts who takes a long time to get skills, but the form is usually pretty good when she finally does.

She was training L3, when Head coach said he wanted to move her to L4 at the beginning of last season. She didn't even have her ROBHS at this point. I expressed concerns, because I knew it was ROBHSBHS in L4. He told me she'd have it by her first meet, and she did. It was anemic and ugly, but she had it.

So throughout last year, as her teammates up trained, she kept plugging away at that ROBHSBHS.

This year (L5) seems to be the same. She got the ROBHSBT without a spot 3 weeks ago, just before her first meet. Again, it was somewhat anemic looking.

She seems to lack power. Not strength, but power. (Vault isn't her best either)

One of the coaches was talking to my husband at pick up last week, and she said how well Short Stack is doing. That once the tumbling clicks, everything will just come together.

Again, coaches don't seem worried, so I'm not. I'm just wondering if it is unusual. Could it be her size? Could it be that she is still playing catch up?

I guess it's because tumbling seems to come so easily to everyone else--it's like she's backward from the rest of the team. Bars and beam are where she's been rocking it lately.

From someone who has a peanut also, it definitely is not the size. It could be strength or learning how to use that strength. My dd figured out how to use hers mid lvl 4 season, wow what a difference. Made a huge difference to her vault also.
It sounds like she is doing great! I wouldn't worry. She will get it.

My DD stunk at floor until her second year at L7. Now it's her best event. You should see the videos from her first year at L5 (what's now L4)! She became a more dynamic tumbler once she started growing -- she will have a 1.5 back twist and a FLO in her L8 routine this coming season. I am anxiously awaiting the same transformation for DS, who is heading into L9 this year and is finally showing some subtle hints of picking up a little on FX.

IMO bars and beam are what matter most to coaches - especially bars, but beam too. Kids who can tumble are a dime a dozen - just look at how many kids can tumble well in other sports like cheerleading and even dance - but a kid who has the technique and mental toughness to do that stuff on the beam (w/o crying regularly), or one who can swing on those bars like they are on a mission - that's what experience has taught me gym coaches love to coach. If your daughter is progressing well on bars and beam, be happy - those are the biggest obstacles to advancement in this sport. Don't worry about the other 2 - like the coaches said, they will catch up.

my skinny peanut isn't the strongest on tumbling or vault either. Beam is her strongest, and bars are a close 2nd. The coaches have personalized her conditioning to help her along but don't seem concerned at all that those 2 are taking time to catch up. When she does have growth spurts, I see a definite change. This sport is so individualized, huh?

I think size can definitely be a factor in vault. Not so much with floor. I've seen some tiny girls have some very powerful tumbling, but those same tiny girls struggle on vault until they hit a certain point where they can get enough spring off that board.

My dd is very small for her age (about 85 lbs and 4'9" at age 14). I think it was around 65 lbs where she could finally make that springboard move more and her vault significantly improved. She is NOT a strong tumbler, but I don't think that has anything to do with her size.

My L3 is similar--tiny and quite strong (all from conditioning) but not powerful, best on bars and beam, slow to pick up tumbling and vaulting. I think duyetanh is right that they need to learn to use their strength, especially if they are "slow twitch" kids. My daughter's coach also attributes her issues with tumbling and vaulting to a fear of flying through the air, which I can definitely see but is funny since she has no problem flying around the bars.

Also agree on size being an issue with vaulting. The fewer springs in the board, the better my daughter vaults.

It's not so much size, but stature, IMO. I'm willing to bet $$ that my almost 11 year old is shorter than most peanuts mentioned here, if not all. BUT she's no peanut. Bc also willing to bet she outweighs most too. She struggled on vault as a shorty 7 year old, but now she has a yurchenko. Bars is still a bit of a challenge, but she rocks the beam and floor.

ETA: DD is almost 48 inches and around 65 lbs.

It's not so much size, but stature, IMO. I'm willing to bet $$ that my almost 11 year old is shorter than most peanuts mentioned here, if not all. BUT she's no peanut. Bc also willing to bet she outweighs most too. She struggled on vault as a shorty 7 year old, but now she has a yurchenko. Bars is still a bit of a challenge, but she rocks the beam and floor.

ETA: DD is almost 48 inches and around 65 lbs.
Sounds like a Macadamia to me

I tend to agree on a few things- that 65lbs is true theory for vault- once they break 60 regardless of size they seem to be able to really vault well. I also second the opinion that bars- and beam- are vital to many coaches to be ahead on- and they figure there are so many options with tumbling that will come. I'd be super proud of her accomplishments on bars and beam and let the coach's lead the way on floor. I do see the same trend in our gym, with a few exceptions- but generally great bar workers are not just as great tumblers and vice-versa- with the exception of the all-around above- average girls which are few and far between at this age!

Build and fast versus slow twitch matter for tumbling/vault. Compact, explosive gymnasts can be great vaulters even if they are small. My flexy ectomorphs -- uh, not so much! If you have an ectomorph, things should get better at around that 65 lb. threshold, but it is still going to take time, a lot of determination, and technique. I expect DS to land twisting DB dismounts from rings and high bar in competition before he tries his first DB on the floor at practice. He's literally years away from an iron cross on rings, but may compete a piked yamawaki this season.

No, I don't think so. I have a tiny kid who barely hits 50 pounds and she's a powerful tumbler. I feel like tumbling has more to do with speed and fast twitch muscles. So power is different than just being strong. Maybe? I tend to agree with those who said tumbling is a dime a dozen though...see all the kids tumbling in cheer and dance but that doesn't necessarily translate into being great on bars etc. also agree that vaulting favors the bigger kids. It's hard to get that body shape just right to go over the table when they are small. And some kids do better with the yurchenko than the handspring vault too.

I love this thread. I have a peanut who is 50" and 55 lbs at 10.5 years old. She's working a full on floor and can flip a Tsuk into the pit. She runs like the wind into her tumbling and vault to generate power - I think this will help her when she finally gets big enough to really activate the springs on the floor and vault board. She rocks beam and is pretty decent on bars (though tends to muscle bars rather than swing - it's a work in progress). I tell her that whereas puberty is a hindrance for many girls, it will really help her...she's looking forward to it :p

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back