WAG Is It Vestibular??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Moxiegrl83

Proud Parent
I have an 8 yr old gymnast who is training Level 5, with the potential to go Level 7 this spring. All of a sudden, she's fluctuating between being terrified of back handsprings and back walkovers on beam, and the next day she's fine. Today she decided she couldn't do a standing back handspring on the floor. (she did end up doing them on the floor before she left practice but was beside herself when she thought she lost them). One day she's fine, the next day scared. Can it be vestibular in a 8 yr old??

I think as the tricks get harder, it seems to happen with gymnasts that some days they have the tricks and some days they dont. I am no coach (thank God!), but to me it does not sound vestibular. It sounds fear related. And it also sounds completely normal.

I totally agree with Coach P. Try to remove as much stress as you can. For instance, don't talk to her about potentially moving to Level 7. If she brings it up down play it as much as possible and tell her it is no big deal if she waits to do Level 7 next year (or whenever). Tell her she's got plenty of time.

Too early to jump to the vestibular explanation - probably stress over moving those skills to the beam and maybe the pressure to also prep for L7. With vestibular issues the kid really feels lost in space, feels like they are going to hit things when they are miles away from them, often they actually see stars/black out a bit, thing spin funny - of course it takes a while for the kid to figure out all that's happening - in the beginning DD just thought she was "scared" to connect her BHSs on beam....but in retrospect with learning about it she can describe the specific sensations - give your little one time and let her know its SUPER NORMAL to have times when things aren't coming/going quite right - especially if trying to make big moves like she is. No stress, no pressure, tell her in 6 months it will be a lot different and have fun!

My daughter is experiencing the exact same thing on beam. It started in March when she started working the bhs on beam. The bwo left soon after. From March to June she did basically nothing on beam because she was scared. A gym change on June 1 ( not related to this) has led to a new coach who started her on low beam with mats all the way up just working on bwo. A slow progression over the last month has led to her doing the bwo again. No progress has been started yet on the bhs. If she's not ready for L7 in January because of the bhs, I guess that's just what will happen. At least she's relaxed now and having fun at gym again. Not vestibular as all other back tumbling was going well. It's probably along the same lines with your daughter.

Little update. Before we left for vacation, she wouldn't go backwards at all, on any event. The HC told the other coaches to just back off, let her have some space, and then we left a couple days later. On vacation, gymnastics wasn't really brought up. She did show her great grandpa some gymnastics when he asked, and at 97 he was pretty impressed with press handstands. :)

The first week back, she got her fly away and started tumbling with someone "standing there". After practice last night, the HC came up and said she did 3 backhand springs on the low beam, and that's all she would let her do. She said DD looked really confused when she told her to stop after 3, but she wanted to end it while she was ahead.

This was our first experience with fear, and CB advice is spot on. We didn't focus on it, her coaches didn't make her feel bad, and she is learning how to work through problems. Gym has always been easy for her, and talking with the Level 9 and 10 parents, this won't be her last fear. The smile on her face when I picked up, and she said "mom watch!" and did a standing BHS was worth it. :)

I love to do this occasionally......'don't do them sweetie, if you are not 100% sure, then don't.....I don't want anything to happen'
DD ' GOSH mom, I can do them fine!, just not today!'
Me ' I know you can, but just don't do them, please..... It was not a _____ kind of day, what's the rush????'
DD ' okay mom'
Coach, ' no, don't do them today.....I think you should do ----- instead, besides, there is no rush'
DD ' please, I'm ready......'
Cocah, ' well, OK, but start on the floor....'
DD ' can I please just do them regular???'
This can take anywhere from 24 to a zillion hours later.....

My daughter is experiencing the exact same thing on beam. It started in March when she started working the bhs on beam. The bwo left soon after. From March to June she did basically nothing on beam because she was scared. A gym change on June 1 ( not related to this) has led to a new coach who started her on low beam with mats all the way up just working on bwo. A slow progression over the last month has led to her doing the bwo again. No progress has been started yet on the bhs. If she's not ready for L7 in January because of the bhs, I guess that's just what will happen. At least she's relaxed now and having fun at gym again. Not vestibular as all other back tumbling was going well. It's probably along the same lines with your daughter.

vestibular is NOT "all other back tumbling". SMH

Little update. Before we left for vacation, she wouldn't go backwards at all, on any event. The HC told the other coaches to just back off, let her have some space, and then we left a couple days later. On vacation, gymnastics wasn't really brought up. She did show her great grandpa some gymnastics when he asked, and at 97 he was pretty impressed with press handstands. :)

The first week back, she got her fly away and started tumbling with someone "standing there". After practice last night, the HC came up and said she did 3 backhand springs on the low beam, and that's all she would let her do. She said DD looked really confused when she told her to stop after 3, but she wanted to end it while she was ahead.

This was our first experience with fear, and CB advice is spot on. We didn't focus on it, her coaches didn't make her feel bad, and she is learning how to work through problems. Gym has always been easy for her, and talking with the Level 9 and 10 parents, this won't be her last fear. The smile on her face when I picked up, and she said "mom watch!" and did a standing BHS was worth it. :)

it's vestibular.

Lol, my dd sometimes falls while walking. It is vestibular too.....

(Please don't take offense to my sass.....)

it's vestibular.

I've read through all the vestibular threads, and my first thought, as you can see by the title, was vestibular issues....but Coachp said it sounds like a little stress and anxiety. Is there a way to tell the difference? She's never been pushed to pick up skills faster, and her gym is definitely not a high pressure environment.

I've read through all the vestibular threads, and my first thought, as you can see by the title, was vestibular issues....but Coachp said it sounds like a little stress and anxiety. Is there a way to tell the difference? She's never been pushed to pick up skills faster, and her gym is definitely not a high pressure environment.

Coachp and i see this issue differently. but were not in disagreement. i believe that all "motion" problems emanate from the vestibular structures and neuropathway systems of the human anatomy. i believe this because of my education that supports this.

i 100% agree with CoachP that this condition can and will be exacerbated if a coach does not back off and start from the beginning.

Coachp and i see this issue differently. but were not in disagreement. i believe that all "motion" problems emanate from the vestibular structures and neuropathway systems of the human anatomy. i believe this because of my education that supports this.

i 100% agree with CoachP that this condition can and will be exacerbated if a coach does not back off and start from the beginning.
==
I don't disagree that fear issues arise from vestibular problems, however when a child has a pattern of fear issues arising around stressful situations,, Example, "her fear issues came back during meet season, or just prior to meet season" or "lots of pressure to get over the issue" etc.. This is a clear indication that what was once introduced as a vestibular issue has now created doubt in the mind and anxiety/stress are now the trigger. If all vestibular issues didn't involve stress or anxiety then it wouldn't matter how we deal with them, right? But they do and how we handle the mind is the cure. However; this is all moot, because regardless of what anyone believes (100 percent vestibular or started as vestibular and is now mental) the treatment is the exact same, Back off, remove stress and time.

Back off, remove stress and time is exactly what is helping my DD....after 18 months of pushing through the issues without that helping. Now after no pressure for 9 months (to the point where I'm sure her coaches were pulling their hair out...) in 2 weeks of trying things again she's back able to do all her L7 stuff including BHS BHS on low beam (not sure if that one's even a good idea at this point) and RO BT off beam (she was able to do BT on beam but not off before), a new Level 8 double salto back tumbling pass to add to her L8 front pass, and a bunch of other L8 stuff.

Her attitude and self esteem may never recover - but that part is in her hands and up to her to either fix or retire.

I'm super grateful for CB helping me as a parent to understand that the same kid who can do all the above in just a few weeks (after a few months of getting back in condition, of course) and at 4'9" can tumble over her 6' tall coach's shoulders on the new pass wasn't "making it up" or "letting fear defeat her" for the last 2 years...or just being an obnoxious emotional tween!

Now I can do my parenting job of feeding her, helping her stay healthy and get to practices, and encouraging her to work hard and speak up if things don't feel right. She can do her job of focusing on her own hard work, learning to advocate, etc.

The coaches are doing their jobs of being patient but building her basics back up, encouraging her to do what she is ready to do and creatively working around what she's not (no one seems to be pushing her to do her full again...) and allowing her body to finish growing and her brain to mature without telling her she's "done as a gymnast" if she can't be level 10 at age 14...

So whether the vestibular component was/is the initial issue (like my DD) or its an injury/stress reaction becomes less important in the end if the coaches and parents can help the child work through it....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back