Parents Is it worth it?....opinions needed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Isn't hockey a little bit better because they don't "retire" when they're twenty? Don't they have more time?

My hubby just turned 50 last week, he still plays hockey every Thursday night at 9pm!!! Like most winter sports hockey is expensive until you reach your adult size, after that the equipment lasts for years. In our house we buy, living in Quebec this is, snowshoes, downhill ski's, cross country ski's, ice skates, sleds, snow suits and helmets yearly for our kids. For summer we have bikes, roller blades, sail boat, kayaks, swimming pools stuff and life jackets. We go through a ton of sunscreen too.

I grew up in the UK where we never did any sports, but gymnastics of course. Living here is unbelievable equipment wise. My kids also have to have clothes for extremely cold weather -40 and extremely hot/humid weather +30.

I am sure it is way cheaper to live in a place where it is 20 degrees all year round!!!:p

My son doesn't play hockey though, just never had a thing for team sports, he is the cheap one in the family. Though he is a gamer, loves to go to tournaments and fan-expo conventions and those things add up too. Is his interest any less important than the girls gym? Not to him, so we try to keep things balanced for him too, it is not his fault that he didn't find a sport that he loves. He has many things that he loves just as much.

The price of gas continues to rise, it is really painful to see that I spent $900 on gas last month and I didn't go anywhere, well except gymnastics and to school! That sounds like a mortgage payment.:eek:

Gymnastics is essentially a children's sport, it is one of the few that kids will not continue to do into adulthood, it is hard on the body and few adults could stand the stress that it puts on a body. Did you do a handstand or jump on the beam lately. I took a few swings on the bars the other day, the back hip circle is now down right scary and a kip is designed for people who haven't had 3 kids!!!!

So, that being said gymnastics is an oddity, the personal skills learned will last a child a lifetime, but they will not use the gymnastics skills in the same way. Is it worth it? Only time will tell.

Last edited:
For my oldest It is def worth it for the time!! she has grown soo much and I think Gymnastics has helped her comfidence and also now that she is on team she has a feeling of beloinging!! and I think that is worth it alone!!
my youngest it is well worth it cause she was doing these things at home and well now she has a place to do it a lot more safer with coaches teaching it correctly!! she gets out the energy she needs to!!
yes its not cheap but There are soo many benefits that I see each day in my kids!!

also they have been with this sport for 7 years now and never do they want ot quit! (not that id have a problem with it if they thought it through)
its great to see them commit to something and love it!!!
I get a lot of people say wow they have been with this that long and are amazed and compliment them for sticking to something!!

Right now the hockey isn't too bad b/c he is only 6 - of course we did just get an email for evaluations for a more intense travel league - I couldn't hit that delete button fast enough, lol. Maybe in another year or two if he still wants to play I'd let him try out - but not yet. It's bad enough that when I was filling out the direct deposit form at work I was thinking 'wouldn't it be easier to just have it deposited straight into my dd's gym account'.

Sounds like you hit the right button! LOL When I started DD2 in dance. We thought, this is SO nice. One night a week.. she can be with a group and still do something she enjoys. Then her Teacher about competition she was very serious. 'it is a big comittment' oh boy here it comes I think 3 days a week. Weeken after weekend in Minneapolis for dance. But she says... 'practice is 2 nights a week and there are 2 compeitions.....' I almost laughed! That is NOTHING compared to gymnastics!

I thought dd1's 4 days a week gym schedule was bad, but now dd2 has softball 2 nights a week and traveling basketball 2 nights a week. All I can say is thank God for Sundays! Of course after church there is usually a birthday party or something. $ for $ I feel that gymnastics is well worth the money. Dd1 has gained so much confidence and poise. She has no trouble speaking in front of an audience and health wise, she couldn't be in better shape. We have at least another year before we go to five days a week gym.

I love summer schedule because we only have one activity an evening, since practice is daytime. Thank goodness we live in a small town. Nothing is more than 10 minutes away. I couldn't do it if we had to travel. Many times both girls need to be somewhere at the same time. It's just me, so I am blessed to have a good friend who has a daughter at the gym, and sees that she gets there after school.

I haven't yet decided if it is all worth it. LOL. We live 5 miles from DDs gym, but have a gas hoggin' Kia Sedona, LOL. Her tuition is worth it when you compare hour per hour and she LOVES being at the gym and is a different kid when there, so for now, it is worth it. Not sure a leotard and warm up should cost what they do, do they HAVE to be so fancy? I can see it for optionals, but for compulsories? Geez. I try not to add it up in my head so I don't have to realize what it really costs per month. LOL.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back