Is pre team worth it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

You have gotten some good advice so far. Like others have said, it depends on the gym as to how you make it onto team. At our gym you must come through the pre-team program or transfer from another club where you've competed. That is not the case at all gyms. My gym has multiple levels of pre-team and you can come in at the lowest levels or at the final level prior to joining team. I agree with others that the benefit of pre-team is learning proper form and conditioning - which is not focused on in rec classes. Five is young but if she really enjoys it and you think team may be a serious option in the future, I would do it. My gym charges $138 for 3 hours/wk of jr pre-team and $179 for 6hrs/wk on pre-team. 3 hours a week in our rec program would be $158 - so moving to pre-team is a better deal financially.

Preteam was worth it for my son. He moved there as an almost 5 year old, right out of the preschool gym. It was a longer class, the boys were on the older side, and overall more "serious"/better focused than the boys in the rec classes. He was able to move through L1 to L4 in that class in less than a year. Another thing that helped is there was very little change in the coaches versus the rec classes, and less changes in the boys in the class. There are 9 boys on the L4 team this year. The oldest 2 boys came from rec classes, the others all out of preteam.

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it. I did find out that the cost is $140.00 a month, but for 2 two hour sessions a week. So I guess 16 hours a month for $140.00 is more reasonable than what they had originally quoted me. I'm still undecided on what to do. Try outs isn't until the end of this month so I guess I'll let her try out and see what the coaches say. They may say she's not even ready, who knows. DD has been in gymnastics since age 2 1/2 and she really enjoys it, she asks to go more all the time. As far as her competing in the future, I'm not sure what she will decide. She always tells me that she wants to win trophies so I'm assuming she'll end up wanting to compete. Only time will tell though. Thanks again for all your comments and advice. :)

I think its a good experience for them. My daughter goes 3 1/2 hours a week for $104. She is also 5 and will have her 3rd meet shortly, and does good under pressure. But very shy and really won't talk to the adults. This has opened her up a bit. I've seen a big change (for the good) in her.

If you/your daughter ever intend to go on team, pre-team is a must (at least around here). In our gym you almost always have to go through pre-team before comepetition. Only one girl skipped pre-team, and it hasn't been an advantage for her. So preteam = good :)

Though at 5, you could do a few more years in rec.

I think pre-team can be worth it. Our gym has 3 levels of pre-team, most kids spend at least 2 years on pre-team but all move up to level 4. I coach the pre-school pre-team and I run that much differently then any of the rec classes I teach. Our program is hand picked preschool kids and they practice 2.5 hrs a week- I think the price is $100 a month. My goal is to have them have certain skills before moving up to the next level. My focus is to make it fun and have them work with out realizing it. Strength and flexibility are huge but they have fun doing it. They are young and part of my job is helping them work harder while still loving what they do. We work on listening, working at a station by yourself, being a good team mate etc. I get them ready for the next level where the expectations are more. We do lots and lots of handstands and pullovers but also have lots of pit time doing flips and tucks or hanging from the pit bar. That stuff is fun and a good end after working hard.

My youngest did one year of pre-team and needed it. She is a 6yo lvl 4 and pre-team really gave her the discipline she needed as well as strength. Skill wise she could have walked in as a lvl 4 and pulled it off ok, but the year spent before perfecting lvl 4 routines was well worth it. She is having a very solid lvl 4 year with scores in the 9's.

My oldest did gymnastics for a few months and came to the gym we are at now and started as a lvl 4. She had no real skills, just a knack for it. She is one of the top 3 on her team.

So really, it just depends on your kid, the type of program the gym is running and what you might want. If I had let my youngest do all 3 years of pre-team I'm sure there could have been some benefit but it wasn't a detriment in either of my girls case.

When it comes to time in a gym i think it depends on the kid. 3 hours might be too much for some 5 yr olds. Others it wouldnt be. Pre team is a good expirence. If some day she wants to team i would have her do preteam. As far as the cost goes, ouch! My dd does 10 hrs a week. We pay 130 a month.

I think its amusing when people post about certain programs being a "money maker"- the gym is a business and in order to stay open it must make a profit.
:p
Check out other preteam programs in the area- if the price is comperable I'm sure its a fair price. I coach preteam and we spend all our time on form, shaping, conditioning, technique-etc. so if you can do it and your DD wants to do it, and you want her on a team track, you should. It s totally different from a rec class- the purpose is to have them ready for Level 4 by the end of the year.

Usually, its the more experienced coaches that coach preteam.

Its not the end of the world and her gymnastics future will not be in shambles if you dont, but you should if you have the opportunity.

Well based on all these posts I can only conclude that "pre team" is a huge money maker, not the case where we are at all.

Lots and lots of girls never do pre team, or step in the gym until they are school age. Lots of kids do pre team for years and never get to team, we hear from them often here.

If you can afford it, if she loves it, then by all means do it, but don't feel that she will not succeed if she doesn't do pre team.

I was paying $200 for 3 hours a week/12 hours a month for my daughter to practice with our Level 4 team. It was not worth it to me because our recreational, preteam and Level 4 coaches were picked off the street with very little to no gymnastics experience. I have an 10 year old higher level gymnast and she cannot believe that some of the preteam and Level 4 coaches don't give corrections (I guess because they do not know). It seemed like a glorified gymboree sans the singing and crafts. I had her stop because it was too much money for what I was getting. You should evaluate why you are wondering if the additional fees and hours may not be worth it. What would you like to get out of those extra fees and hours? It would all depend on what your goals are. But if can afford it, you like the gym, your little girl is having fun, there is something to be said with any extra activity. What I do not think is worth it at the pre-team level and even Level 4 is paying extra for meet fees, coaches fees, private lessons, paying for the expensive competition leos and warm up suits. I also know many gymnasts who started at an older age and surpassed many who begun gymnastics as a toddler. So, preteam is not a necessary step to succeeding later in gymnastics.

It was for my DD she was bored in rec classes and acted silly a lot- once she was moved to Pre-team she really progressed and focused- she liked the challenge.

It was for my DD she was bored in rec classes and acted silly a lot- once she was moved to Pre-team she really progressed and focused- she liked the challenge.

Same for my DD. She didn't really "get" gymnastics in rec, she loved the climbing and jumping, but they never really got to see the team girls. Once she went to pre-team she got to see the older ones and it gave her some goals and focussed her on what she wanted to achieve. Without the massive commitment and hours of team which can scare some off- she liked the longer sessions, then it was her asking when she could add extra days. I know some kids which have tried the longer sessions and don't like it.

If she would like to be on a team someday, it's worth it.

At our gym, it's the main route to team. And the groups are for pretty young kids. It's not impossible to move from rec to team if you are older. You can join the Xcel team, which has good coaches, and if you do well there, they will move you to the Level 4 team. Or you can stay in XCEL. The lowest Xcel level works on skills comparable to Level3. The preteam kids skip level 4 and go to level 5 if they make it through the program. On a per hour basis preteam, team and XCEl teams are less expensive than the Rec classes Of course you are attending more hours. I love that everyone in the gym once they master some basic gymnastics moves can go compete in a meet if they want to, and be part of a team. Team participation is very encouraged for all who can meet the basic requirements. Preteam is definitely worth it for my 5 year old. She had outgrown her preschool classes when she was 4. My other kid is 8 and just transferred recently from XCel to Level 4. They both love the gym. Hope that helps

When it comes to time in a gym i think it depends on the kid. 3 hours might be too much for some 5 yr olds. Others it wouldnt be. Pre team is a good expirence. If some day she wants to team i would have her do preteam. As far as the cost goes, ouch! My dd does 10 hrs a week. We pay 130 a month.

Wow, what a bargain!!!! We pay $215/month for 11 hours a week.

I know prices vary. When we started DD out we found a local gym that only charged $40.00 a month for a one hour class once a week. That was great, but that place is more of a dance studio and doesn't focus a lot on gymnastics. It was great when she was 2. Then we tried a gym in the next town over, it was cheaper than the gym we are at now but both DH and I hated it. We live in Florida and they had no A/C. The gym part smelled so bad and there was never the same coach. We seen a lot of kids goofing off and one of the kids in DD's class got kicked in the face and knocked down by a older gymnast because she wandered off. The coaches seemed to be H.S. kids and really didn't care if the kids were doing things right or not. The gym we are at now is really nice, it's clean and has a open area so parents can see what their kids are doing at all times. The coaches are the same every week and they really take the time to work with the kids showing them proper form. I'd rather pay more money and know my child is getting safe and quality training at a state of the art gym.

I would definitely recommend pre-team if your family decides that competitive gymnastics is right for your lifestyle.

My dd just started competing level 4 this past September after having almost a year of pre-team. The difference between the girls who had gone through the developmental pre-team program and those who came in from rec was (painfully) apparent. She was on a team of 14, 6 of which were second year competitors who had NOT done pre-team (those who did moved on to level 5), 5 went through pre-team and 3 came from prep-opt. Although all had the skills, the ones with the required technique to out perform at competitions were a couple second year competitors and the pre-team girls. The countless repetitions, endless conditioning for strength and flexibility, and the gradual step increase in hours to those of team girls was hugely beneficial.

The rate you were quoted seems very reasonable. At our gym some of the advanced pre-team girls have the option of adding a 3rd practice for a small fee. The Pre-team coach is also the coach for the level 4's, and does not coach rec. She is, by far, the most particular coach for body form and finishing touches. The pre-team girls do NOT do floor routines to music. The do skills & drills perfect each individual move from eye focus to lunges. It is expected that girls who have gone through her program will be body aware and know how to SAFELY perform the basics that are instrumental for everything that is to come.

I definitely would not want a coach who does not have years of experience in the sport coaching pre-team, but if you have that available, and the commitment of time and money works, go for it!

I definitely would not want a coach who does not have years of experience in the sport coaching pre-team, but if you have that available, and the commitment of time and money works, go for it!

I only had 6m of experience when I started coaching my group of pre-team girls last year. I started with a new group this fall and it is one of the biggest groups the gym has seen in years. One year, with an experienced coach they could only get 2 girls to commit, I have 18. I have also moved up 3 since I got them in the fall. I get compliments from the next level up coach who has been coaching for 16 years. Of the move ups, all my girls had their pull over, down on their splits, could stretch correctly and had the ability to listen and learn. Children I have moved from rec classes to that pre-team also do well. I have one of the strongest pre-team the gym has seen in years AND my girls have fun.

So while I agree exp is helpful it isn't the end all be all in getting good coaching. I do what I do well because I love it and I connect with the kids. I have taken the time to learn what my girls need and learn how to teach them correctly.

I respect your commitment and success with your gymmies! I was speaking for my own preference. I was a gymnast back in my day -which is why I tried everything to get my girls to consider a less intense sport- and I also coached for a few years while in college. It has been my experience that the foundations are where correct body form- hollow/arch- how to bridge with open shoulders, etc- are imperative to learn, because otherwise it can lead to basically having to go back to the very basics to teach advanced gymnasts how to do a tap swing or safe bhs.
I am pleased you have had success. Curious if you had a gymnast background prior to your 6 months of coaching? I consider being a gymnast as experience in the sport.
I have always erred on the side of caution with my kiddos. Before I settled on this gym I had visited several in the area, spoke with parents, found out about coach turnover and experience as well as history of injuries. People though I was nuts- but I have seen what inexperienced coaching can result in. I am not saying that is the rule- and accidents always occur, but I wanted to stack the deck in my children's favor. I mean no insult to anyone- just my preference.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back