Parents Is there a certain body type less prone to injuries?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

RTT2

Proud Parent
I didn't want to derail the Pain vs. Injury thread, but I've frequently seen people post things along the line of "certain body types can't hold up to the hours and intensity of the sport", so (and this is probably a silly question) is there a body type that does hold up well to the intensity and the hours? Is it possible to say girls who are (fill in the blank with more flexible, stronger, leaner, shorter, or whatever) are less prone to injuries, or is it just impossible to predict given all the different factors with coaching/training/stretching etc.?

I think when you get towards any of the extremes injuries get more likely, if an athlete is too strong where their frame can barely support the muscle they built than they can get injured due to the force their own body generates (see Samie Sosa sneezing and tearing a pec for example), at the same time muscle is like a coat of armor around them so if they don't have enough muscle to protect themselves the joints will take more of the burden. Height and weight all play factors when it comes to how much force they are generating and putting on their bodies, a heavier body moving faster has more force than a smaller one, but those powerful bodies can do amazing things (see Simone). Obviously there are dozens of other factors involved as well (training, rest, nutrition, genetics, proper coaching, proper gear, weather, etc.)

Yes, there is. Those who are naturally strong, but also relatively flexible (not too flexible), not double jointed, good foot arches, mesomorphs (build muscle easily), steady growers and slow growers (not those having those giant over night growth spurts).

But having this body type does not prevent injuries, nor does having a body type that is traditionally prone to injuries mean they will have any issues. A lot comes down to the coach/gym/gymnast - reasonable training hours (not to few or too many), good physical preparation, even loading on the body, following safe drills, requiring specific prerequisites before throwing skills, safe equipment, behaviour and focus in training, effort in strength and flex training, coaches who watch their gymnasts closely and see when fatigue or small mistakes and slipping in etc.

Yes, there is. Those who are naturally strong, but also relatively flexible (not too flexible), not double jointed, good foot arches, mesomorphs (build muscle easily), steady growers and slow growers (not those having those giant over night growth spurts).

But having this body type does not prevent injuries, nor does having a body type that is traditionally prone to injuries mean they will have any issues. A lot comes down to the coach/gym/gymnast - reasonable training hours (not to few or too many), good physical preparation, even loading on the body, following safe drills, requiring specific prerequisites before throwing skills, safe equipment, behaviour and focus in training, effort in strength and flex training, coaches who watch their gymnasts closely and see when fatigue or small mistakes and slipping in etc.

Thanks, great info!

I'm just a parent and no expert, but my daughter fits most of these characteristics and she is the only one on her team that has been injury free so far. She's 11 and training level 8 (and some uptraining for 9) and has been competing since she was a 6 year old level 2. At 11 1/2, she is 4'11 and 90lbs and strong and muscular. She's not the most flexible on her team, but has great leaps and jumps. She is not double jointed or flat footed and has always had an awesome toe point. I would not say she is a slow grower, but she has been pretty steady and is definitely growing. She has started puberty and put on about 3 inches this year and has not had any trouble losing skills or having to relearn anything so far. I am completely knocking on wood right now and I know it might be total luck, but not only has she never had an injury (other than bruises/beam burns/etc), but she is the only one that doesn't wear tiger paws or tape or anything because she hasn't had wrist pain or knee pain or anything. I do think she has good training with no crazy hours and lots of drills and preparation. But her teammates still experience all the usual injuries and conditions associated with gymnastics, so I don't know. Probably just very lucky! :)

Purely my observation as a parent, but I think that some people are just genetically more prone to injury. My DD was very lucky with injuries until her junior and senior year of high school (I think years of training just caught up), but she had teammates that moved from one injury to another. It was frequently different injuries - wrist, back, ankle, etc. It's hard to argue it's just overuse or poor training techniques when it's just a few girls on a large team with injuries. Clearly things like training methods, body weight, a little luck, et al play into the equation, but I also think there is a genetic component similar to aging - some may have stronger bones, more flexible muscles (if that's even a thing).

I'm just a parent and no expert, but my daughter fits most of these characteristics and she is the only one on her team that has been injury free so far. She's 11 and training level 8 (and some uptraining for 9) and has been competing since she was a 6 year old level 2. At 11 1/2, she is 4'11 and 90lbs and strong and muscular. She's not the most flexible on her team, but has great leaps and jumps. She is not double jointed or flat footed and has always had an awesome toe point. I would not say she is a slow grower, but she has been pretty steady and is definitely growing. She has started puberty and put on about 3 inches this year and has not had any trouble losing skills or having to relearn anything so far. I am completely knocking on wood right now and I know it might be total luck, but not only has she never had an injury (other than bruises/beam burns/etc), but she is the only one that doesn't wear tiger paws or tape or anything because she hasn't had wrist pain or knee pain or anything. I do think she has good training with no crazy hours and lots of drills and preparation. But her teammates still experience all the usual injuries and conditions associated with gymnastics, so I don't know. Probably just very lucky! :)

It does sound like she has a great body type for the sport. But it is quite common for kids to be injury free up to the age of 11. The purberty years are the ones to really look out for, 12-13 are the worst. Even slow growing kids can go through major growth spurts at this age, and this is where the niggly pains and need for all that sports tape tend to happen. The bones and muscles can grow at different rates, and the introduction of new hormones can make a gymnast more easily distracted as well.

I am not saying this to try and scare or worry anyone, just an awareness thing. Keep a close eye on her over he next few years, and be quick to have injuries evaluated. In my experience I have found that injuries treated early, very rarely cause long term problems. The problems tend to come from gymnasts saying "it hurts a bit, but is probably nothing", until they have a much more serious issue on their hands.

At what level or age do injuries typically begin to happen? If a gymnast is injury prone, when would you expect that to begin?

If a child is injury prone it can show up at any age. But most commonly when they start to go through their puberty growth spurt. When this happens will vary greatly from child to child.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back