WAG Is there a deduction if a level 4 or 5 vaulter doesn't do an arm circle?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jhueste

Proud Parent
My daughter's coach keeps telling my daughter that's it like .3 deduction not having an arm circle when she vaults. So, when she does an arm circle, it messes her up and she ends up not vaulting or it's slower.

We've heard there isn't an deduction, but her coach keeps insisting that there is. And is there any documentation that can prove it either way?

Thanks!!

In USAG gym rules documents there is no proof of a deduction. If your DD is not in USAG let me know, ill find it.
usagym.org/docs/Women/xcel/2013VaultValues.pdf
go to vault ~ chapter 1 ~ values and deductions
Hope that helps!

Thanks for the information, that helped a ton! Yes, she is in USAG. I just want to add that we aren't trying to disrespect her coach, just trying to find out the facts since we have heard conflicting opinions.

I could never find anything about an arm circle being required, but our coach was pretty insistent on it in bronze last year too. It was frustrating for us at first, but when she got the hang of it she REALLY got the hang of it and her vaults were so so much better. I really think it makes for a better vault all around once they master it. My dd went from an 8.875ish at the beginning of the season (with either no arm circle or a not very good one) to a 9.925 at the end of the year at regionals! Once it clicked, it REALLY clicked and made a huge difference in her vaults! HTH!

Some kids can be so stubborn about the arm circle/swing that I wouldn't put it past a coach to claim it's a deduction. All kids have trouble learning the circle/swing if it wasn't taught from the beginning, but I would not want it delayed any longer.

Mine does the swing, not the circle. It works for her, and what a difference if she didn't have it. But yeah, she couldn't do the circle to save her soul, and at level 2 her 9+ vault dropped a whole point when she tried to get that circle in there...coaches tried and tried. They gave up, let her do her thing, and she went back to winning vault (which incidently is the only thing she ever won at that level). Tried all summer to get it in there for level 3...nope. Let it go. Bottom line, apparently some girls can't pull this off very well (I guess), and my girl is one of them. But she does swing those arms violently. And man it helps.

I can't really imagine vaulting without an arm circle! I had a coach in rec who really stressed the importance of it so that probably has something to do with it. Now I'm having trouble with doing just an arm swing into my front tuck not a full arm circle! :rolleyes:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back