is there a difference between an artistic floor and rhythmic floor?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

J

jes.the.gymnast

is there is any difference betweenan artistic floor and rhythmic floor?
e.g size? or the way it's sprung
also does anyone know why rhythmic floors and normally creamy colored and artist ones blue?

jup. rhythmic floors are not sprung, also I believe the surface is a less rough/ better for turns etc...

the colour is a matter of brands also. artistic floors tend to be blue because that'S what aai and spieth (common in europe) use. bänfer (german brand, but not used a lot internationally) is blue as well. Gymnova normally has a yellow/beige shade + red, janssen & fritzen is red as well (except for the olympics, where they used blue but that was because it fit better with the design and colour theme of the arena)

Well the rythmic floor at my gym isnt sprung at all...its a red coarse carpet like material with foamy mat things under it...it actually looks like the rod floor at my gym (which is also red) w/out the springs

And our artistic floor is weird too...i think its a regular spring floor covered in a beige carpet...ive always wondered why that is =/

There's a pretty big difference, actually.
Rhythmic floors are much thinner with no springs at all. It's 13 meters by 13 meters within the boundaries. 1 meter safety border.
Artistic floors are thick and plush. It's 12 meters by 12 meters within the boundaries. 1 meter safety border.
The color of the floor doesn't actually matter--blue, red, white, it's all good. It's most likely because of the big gymnastic brands manufacturing a certain color in the beginning and it just caught on. If you look online, you can find floors in green, yellow, and black.
The floors are different because of what the gymnasts need out of them. Rhythmic gymnasts don't want springs--it's harder to balance and hard to pivot. Artistic gymnasts need the spring for tumbling and power not to mention not killing their knees after a tumbling pass.
So, to sum up, artistic floors you sink into a little and they're cushiony and springy. Rhythmic ones are a little bigger, textured and thin so you can feel the wood under it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back