Welcome to our Gymnastics Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Is there a parent support group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrchidZ

Proud Parent
Former Gymnast
May 4, 2018
Country
USA
Is there a forum, place, or support group somewhere for parents of athletes who are struggling with the aftermath of mentally or physically abusive coaching?

Reactions: LJL07 and sce

John

Proud Parent
May 5, 2017
Country
USA
@OrchidZ I think most of us parents here have had children struggle in one form or another. I am a parent who has struggled with making decisions pertaining to gymnastics. I still do to this day. I will listen to anyone's feelings and offer my 2 cents as I am sure many others will.

CuriousCate

Proud Parent
Jul 12, 2016
Country
USA
sadly, it would seem from the lack of responses here, that such a group does not exist?

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
Fan
Feb 6, 2014
NoVa
Country
USA
I mean, this entire website is basically a parent support group. I received great empathy and help when my DD was leaving an absuive gym situation, and throughout her journey. I know that I’m always here for someone else going through similar. I don’t believe there is a specific sub-group though.

rjb123

Proud Parent
Aug 17, 2013
I think that the whole site is really support for parents. I am so sorry that your DD is dealing with the repercussions from an abusive situation. I am sure that all of us are happy to lend an ear and hold a (virtual) hand. Hugs!

Madden3

Proud Parent
Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
I agree this is a supportive group here in the parent forum overall. But if OP is perhaps looking for something more specific and private, could they start a social group on the site? Not sure how that works.

Reactions: CLgym

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
Fan
Feb 6, 2014
NoVa
Country
USA
I agree this is a supportive group here in the parent forum overall. But if OP is perhaps looking for something more specific and private, could they start a social group on the site? Not sure how that works.
I think anyone can start a social group, and keep it as private as they like. That’s not a bad idea!

LJL07

Proud Parent
Jan 27, 2014
Country
USA
I think it's a great idea just because some people might prefer the added layer of privacy a social group provides. If I were to describe some of our experiences at our past gym, I feel like anyone from our state would easily identify the gym.

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
Fan
Feb 6, 2014
NoVa
Country
USA
I think it's a great idea just because some people might prefer the added layer of privacy a social group provides. If I were to describe some of our experiences at our past gym, I feel like anyone from our state would easily identify the gym.
You know what, you’re right. So I created one. It’s called gym survivors.

Reactions: Aero and LJL07

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
Fan
Feb 6, 2014
NoVa
Country
USA
I have renamed it to be more clear. It’s now called Support for Survivors of Abuse in Gymnastics. It is for the parents of abused gymnasts and adult survivors of past abuse in gymnastics.

Reactions: Aero and txgymfan
Status
Not open for further replies.