Parents Is there a parent support group?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

OrchidZ

Proud Parent
Is there a forum, place, or support group somewhere for parents of athletes who are struggling with the aftermath of mentally or physically abusive coaching?

@OrchidZ I think most of us parents here have had children struggle in one form or another. I am a parent who has struggled with making decisions pertaining to gymnastics. I still do to this day. I will listen to anyone's feelings and offer my 2 cents as I am sure many others will.

I mean, this entire website is basically a parent support group. I received great empathy and help when my DD was leaving an absuive gym situation, and throughout her journey. I know that I’m always here for someone else going through similar. I don’t believe there is a specific sub-group though.

I agree this is a supportive group here in the parent forum overall. But if OP is perhaps looking for something more specific and private, could they start a social group on the site? Not sure how that works.

I agree this is a supportive group here in the parent forum overall. But if OP is perhaps looking for something more specific and private, could they start a social group on the site? Not sure how that works.
I think anyone can start a social group, and keep it as private as they like. That’s not a bad idea!

I think it's a great idea just because some people might prefer the added layer of privacy a social group provides. If I were to describe some of our experiences at our past gym, I feel like anyone from our state would easily identify the gym.

I think it's a great idea just because some people might prefer the added layer of privacy a social group provides. If I were to describe some of our experiences at our past gym, I feel like anyone from our state would easily identify the gym.
You know what, you’re right. So I created one. It’s called gym survivors.

I have renamed it to be more clear. It’s now called Support for Survivors of Abuse in Gymnastics. It is for the parents of abused gymnasts and adult survivors of past abuse in gymnastics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back