Is there an "Intro to USAG" book or something?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know next to nothing about the sport in general, to be honest. I usually just ask DD was a skill is called, or whatever, but I figure I should try to learn a little bit about... stuff.

So is there some sort of manual maybe, or a "Gymnastics for Dumb Parents" book? At this point, I don't even know what I don't know (if that makes any sense). We just switched gyms, and I really don't know any of the other parents yet (or can tell what parent is attached to which kid, so I ask the 'right' ones).

You're link isn't working for some reason, but I think I might have that one, maybe. Is there anything like, this is how scoring works, and that kind of stuff too?

LOL! I wish there was a "Gymnastics for Dumb Parents" book. I would definitely buy a copy! I just asked the HC if she could do an "Optionals Primer" for those of us with daughters who are moving up to optionals next year. I know that they get their own routines, and I know we need to buy music and pay for a choregorapher, and I know there are "A" skills and "B" skills... but that's about the extent of my knowledge. I don't know how much the music and choreography cost... not even a general ball-park idea, and I don't know if she'll need to have this done early in the summer or late in the summer or not until fall. I don't know if she gets to pick her own music or if the coach makes the decision. I don't know what "A" skills and "B" skills are, or how many of each she needs. I suppose, ultimately, all I'm really needed for is to write a check for the proper amount at the proper time, but it would be nice to not be TOTALLY in the dark about these things!

I know we have a couple of authors that frequent this site... want to approach the "for Dummies" book people about a "USAG for Dummies" book?

LOL! I wish there was a "Gymnastics for Dumb Parents" book. I would definitely buy a copy! I just asked the HC if she could do an "Optionals Primer" for those of us with daughters who are moving up to optionals next year. I know that they get their own routines, and I know we need to buy music and pay for a choregorapher, and I know there are "A" skills and "B" skills... but that's about the extent of my knowledge. I don't know how much the music and choreography cost... not even a general ball-park idea, and I don't know if she'll need to have this done early in the summer or late in the summer or not until fall. I don't know if she gets to pick her own music or if the coach makes the decision. I don't know what "A" skills and "B" skills are, or how many of each she needs. I suppose, ultimately, all I'm really needed for is to write a check for the proper amount at the proper time, but it would be nice to not be TOTALLY in the dark about these things!

I know we have a couple of authors that frequent this site... want to approach the "for Dummies" book people about a "USAG for Dummies" book?

Exactly! A primer would be perfect. You just mentioned something else I forgot that I didn't know about - the 'A' and 'B' stuff - I know at larger meets (because I've looked at the results afterwards) that there will be, for example, Level 4A and BPO - WTH?! I still don't really understand (even though I know I asked here before) about all the acronyms - I admit I don't 'get' the optionals thing. I just feel like I have random stupid questions, and then other times I'm just thinking to myself, "I don't even know what's going on", lol.

Resource for new team parents? Place where you can learn about anything you want to know about in the world of gymnastics? Chalk Bucket!

I'm with Krystan. Everything that I've learned about gymnastics, I've learned through Chalk Bucket (or a link provided from a discussion on CB).

of the little that is out there, this one is the better of them all. and parents have told me this has been useful although they still don't understand it all. as the gymnastics profession goes, it is a profession in educational perpetuity. and one with no end.:)

Products

Huh. Very tempted to buy "Stressing in the Stands" (almost worth it for the title alone!) but wondering if it will still be relevant once the 2013 changes happen? Of course, DD will do level 7 before the changes happen, and level 9 and 10 aren't changing, so it would just be "new 7" and "new 8" that would be different...

Dunno, are you sure you don't want to take a crack at writing? "Dunno's Often Irreverent but Always Useful Guide to Gymnastics for Parents"

*sigh* nothing for the boys! LOL! THe best part about the boys is even the kids can't explain it! Ours just always look like they are trying to do shadow puppets iwth their fingers when they are explaining things :)

Chalk bucket is most definitely helpful- but I also highly recommend looking at the usagym.org site. My little one was able to find and print a J.O optionals requirements chart and then cross reference with the free to download the pdf FIG code of points. FIG is similar, but NOT identical to the JO code, but it is free and easy to navigate. My 8yo has created optional routines (for fun) for herself by using the chart and code. I also peruse the site from time to time and have found tons of tid bits of useful info. Just click on "women" then a new menu will be on the left of the screen. Grab a cup of tea and set aside a chunk of time- there is TONS of info- some easily understood, some very technical. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back