Parents Is this a normal reaction?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kimmypie1

Proud Parent
My DD is new to competing on team (and we are new to the sport altogether), this is her first year at L3. Long story short she has been struggling on beam. She does great at practice but at competitions her nerves get the best of her and at her first 2 meets she fell off the beam twice AND missed her dismount twice - we are talking scoring in the 4s!! lol.

Yesterday was her third meet and she has been working SO hard at it. She nailed her routine and got the second highest score on her team. I ended up crying because I was so happy for her. Is that a normal parent reaction or am I a nut??

I can understand crying if they win state or something huge but this was tears just because she finally did it.

It's normal :)

Good for her too....what a great lesson for her not to give up and turn things around. I hope the rest of the season goes well for her.

You were proud and relieved, totally normal. I think we need to adjust our expectations on what an achievement in this sport is. Sure winning a big meet is exciting. but overcoming a fear or other difficulty is huge and they learn so much from it. Celebrate whatever victory you can, even if it's not one involving a medal.

I feel much better now, thanks. I was a bit embarrassed. My DD however was on cloud 9. It was a meet at our gym and I was working proscore system for the rest of the day and she stayed with me to help volunteer and was running on adrenaline the whole rest of the day, literally bouncing all over :)

I once cried because my son didn't strike out in a baseball game. Funny thing was that he was still out. It was his first year playing, and he'd been having such a hard time batting. I was just relieved that he hit the ball and made them throw him out instead of striking out.

I've thought about this very thing many times. My daughter's first meet of the season is in December. She will be repeating 3, last year was rough for her and she medaled only once all season and didn't make it to state. This year, she looks so strong and polished. I'm afraid that I'll be the one crying :)

Hey, I tear up sometimes even when OTHER kids get a skill that they have been working on for so long.

Yeah, I'm a big sap sometimes.

That is, me, too. When you have been with the same group of girls for a while you really start rooting for them just like they were your own, feeling sad when they have a bad event/meet and are thrilled when they finally get a skill they've been struggling with.

Totally normal. I got so happy when my kids get there personal best and my dad she is that kid who nerves get the best too , well she has come along way so I totally get it.

Way to go to your dd , one step at a time and that is a huge one she did , good for her

About the only time I don't get teary for mine or their teammates is when something REALLY good or REALLY bad doesn't happen! Somewhere out there is a video of one of DD's teammates having a very tough day on bars with me saying the s word quite audibly after the third fall. I don't restrain the tears too much, because that way it's less embarrassing for DH when he gets all misty.

Perfectly normal. I am the same way. I love to watch all of my kids do their thing. But to personally witness them overcome an obstacle for me is overwhelming. I have to say as DD gets older she gets far more embarrassed by my water works. So I try to curtail the tears until I'm alone...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back