is this a safe teaching method?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

twinklytoes9468

Coach
Proud Parent
To teach a young child who has never fallen back into bridge before, to go off and try it by herself on normal floor mats on a solid floor ?

My DD who is nearly 6 was asked to do this by a new coach.She only does gymnastics recreationally and for 2 X 1.5 hours per week.
I was horrified and ran from the viewing area to stop her but by the time i got there she had 'safely landed' so I just crept back!.I am wondering if i should mention it to the HC who was off today- the next child might not be so lucky.
Also I am concerned about the length of time she spent doing them and kickover til she could barely hold her bridge and yet was still expected to carry on falling back into bridge.her wrists are really hurting now.
I have a very good relationship with the club and i don't want to cause anyone trouble,or be seen as interfering, but on the other hand safety of the children has to be paramount.

Well technically it is not the safest way to teach the skill. As coaches we should use better coaching methods like spotting, using softer mats and creating drills.

But in reality this is how most kids learn to do it. They watch the older kids do it and just try it when they think the coach is not looking or try it at home in the lounge room.

safe??

I agree that it doesn't sound too safe. certainly with what you've provided. But, there may be more to it than what you've seen. Your dd may have done a lot of bridge work prior to this, or shown strength/ in her bridge/standup, or when the coach spotted, the coach may have had his/her hand there but realised that he/she was actually doing nothing. Is this a possibility? (i.e. does your coach have a better handle on your child's ability?) In saying that, first time I would at least suggest a crash mat - but again, this can be harder to land.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back