WAG Is this allowed?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

However this does say in the column “Mobility score needed to advance to next level” that you can skip it OR need a 32 in Level 6 to move up so not sure how else to interpret that.

I can’t imagine it’s an issue often encountered though so probably doesn’t matter!

It’s says “or a 32-00 at Level 5 or 6.”
I think we’re looking at two different things. You’re looking at the “prerequisite score” column which does say that, but when you look in the other column about what to score to move up from 6, it contradicts that. So I interpret that as saying if you do compete 6, you have to score out. Maybe it’s an error, but it is what it says and probably where the confusion lies. I’m just a mom though so I have no real intel on it.

I think we’re looking at two different things. You’re looking at the “prerequisite score” column which does say that, but when you look in the other column about what to score to move up from 6, it contradicts that. So I interpret that as saying if you do compete 6, you have to score out. Maybe it’s an error, but it is what it says and probably where the confusion lies. I’m just a mom though so I have no real intel on it.
You’re interpreting it incorrectly. If she competes in a level 6 state meet, she may not drop back to level 5. But, before the declaration date, she can freely compete 5 or 6 during the season, and go back and forth. If she’s competed level 6 state, then she can only go to 7 if she scored a 32.00 AA. Otherwise, if she scored it in level 5 and didn’t do a level 6 state meet, she can go to level 7, even if she competed a level 5 meet, then 3 level 6 meets, then 2 level 5 meets and then level 5 state meet (or just skipped either state meet) as long as she scored a 32.00 at level 5. And in this case, she would have any way because she couldn’t have competed as a level 6 unless she already had a 32.00 at level 5.

You’re interpreting it incorrectly. If she competes in a level 6 state meet, she may not drop back to level 5. But, before the declaration date, she can freely compete 5 or 6 during the season, and go back and forth. If she’s competed level 6 state, then she can only go to 7 if she scored a 32.00 AA. Otherwise, if she scored it in level 5 and didn’t do a level 6 state meet, she can go to level 7, even if she competed a level 5 meet, then 3 level 6 meets, then 2 level 5 meets and then level 5 state meet (or just skipped either state meet) as long as she scored a 32.00 at level 5. And in this case, she would have any way because she couldn’t have competed as a level 6 unless she already had a 32.00 at level 5.
Ugh my brain is mush now! Lol.

What is REALLY confusing in that chart is that Scoring a 32 at level 5 or OLD level 4 allows a gymnast to move to level 6, lol ... Old Level 4 is like current Level 3! :Do_O;):cool:

What is REALLY confusing in that chart is that Scoring a 32 at level 5 or OLD level 4 allows a gymnast to move to level 6, lol ... Old Level 4 is like current Level 3! :Do_O;):cool:
I was thinking it was the other way around. Old level 4 was like current level 5. I thought I remembered it making it appear people were “repeating “ levels the year of the change because of that.

It is odd that’s even on there though. That was what quite a while ago to just not be trying to move up from old levels.

I was thinking it was the other way around. Old level 4 was like current level 5. I thought I remembered it making it appear people were “repeating “ levels the year of the change because of that.

It is odd that’s even on there though. That was what quite a while ago to just not be trying to move up from old levels.
The repeating is true. To go from old level 4 to new level 4 while moving up a level, old level 4 must have been equal to new level 3. If it was the other way around, you would have gotten kids skipping levels (old 4 moving up to new 6)

You’re right, I couldn’t believe that was there. But I think they mean a 32.00 at Level 4 prior to 08/2018. Definitely not “old level 4,” because it wasn’t even a required level back then.

You’re right, I couldn’t believe that was there. But I think they mean a 32.00 at Level 4 prior to 08/2018. Definitely not “old level 4,” because it wasn’t even a required level back then.
I would agree ... EXCEPT that it has actually been there since the levels switched. Every year, I have expected them to correct it.
According to that one little mistake, my YG COULD compete Level 6 this coming season (or either of her last 2 seasons that she has competed Platinum because she scored out of OLD level 4 the year before the change).

Wow, I didn’t mean to get so many of y’all upset.

Yes, I do know her personally, and I guess I should have checked USAG rules before asking my question. I didn’t realize that you could go back and forth between those two levels.

She did a full season of 5 last year and then did meets as a 6, but didn’t compete state.

Next time I guess I will do my research first so that I don’t get my head bitten off.

I completely understand that and respect it. And for those who have fears and blocks or injuries I get it also. But when this is not the case, and the girl is healthy and fine, no outside factors like moving to new gym, divorce, injury, bullying, etc, yes it can be a bit of a head scratcher. And having conversed with the OP before on things, I am pretty sure she wouldn’t be criticizing anyone (nor am I), it’s just puzzling. But of course, everyone has their own reasons why they do what they do.:)

Thank you. I appreciate you for backing me up.

Yes, my own daughter has repeated because of a gym move and injury.

I wasn’t questioning the level repeat, just didn’t know that you could go back down a level. She isn’t injured, and hasn’t been. Like I said, I know this girl, but thought I’d ask here instead of having an awkward conversation with her mom about why she went back to 5 instead of just doing 6 again.

I wasn’t meaning to stir things up.

Thanks. I looked it up at USAG, and I guess mobility is allowed between levels 5 and 6, but I guess it surprised me that they would WANT to go back to level 5 for this fall season when they did 5/6 last season.

Every gym has their own way of doing things, I guess.
It was mostly your statement about every gym having their own way of doing things that made me really think that this was not your gym or a girl that you knew personally. It just hit close to home with my own dd so I was responding from that point of view.

It was mostly your statement about every gym having their own way of doing things that made me really think that this was not your gym or a girl that you knew personally. It just hit close to home with my own dd so I was responding from that point of view.

I’m sorry if it caused offense. I do know this girl, I just figured that this forum was a good place to ask the question since I thought someone would know the answer right away.

I don’t have anything against repeating as long as it is done for the right reasons (not ready for whatever reason to move up- it’s such an individual thing). I was honestly just curious if it was allowed for someone to go back a level. She’s not even repeating since she had already done meets at the next level and she did as well at 6 as she did at 5. Really, I guess it surprised me mostly because there is still so much time before optional season starts. That’s all there was to it. Honest curiosity. I wasn’t being judgemental, but it’s hard to read tone when it’s just in a forum like this.

I’m sorry if it caused offense. I do know this girl, I just figured that this forum was a good place to ask the question since I thought someone would know the answer right away.

I don’t have anything against repeating as long as it is done for the right reasons (not ready for whatever reason to move up- it’s such an individual thing). I was honestly just curious if it was allowed for someone to go back a level. She’s not even repeating since she had already done meets at the next level and she did as well at 6 as she did at 5. Really, I guess it surprised me mostly because there is still so much time before optional season starts. That’s all there was to it. Honest curiosity. I wasn’t being judgemental, but it’s hard to read tone when it’s just in a forum like this.
I completely agree with you. It is definitely hard to read tone so I hope that you didn't think that I was being rude. My response was only because I feel like some people could be saying the same about my dd without actually knowing her.

Maybe they needed to take the stress off the girl so they decided to make the decision early. I know that my dd was relieved when the gym agreed to submit the info for her to see if she could do a different level.

What the OP is referring to is a move from 6 down to 5? Correct me if I’m wrong.
This is the one exception where there is no requirement to petition down a level, so irregardless of declaration date, or whether or not a state meet was competed, or what AA was achieved as a level 6, there is “freedom of movement” between levels 5 and 6. A level 6 can compete 5 the next season. This is in the Rules and Policies, pg.79.

Now that it's clear as mud between level 5/6... :) How about level 4/5? Is it possible to compete some level 5 meets but then drop back to level 4 if it's before the state declaration date? Even if you score a 32 at 5?

Now that it's clear as mud between level 5/6... :) How about level 4/5? Is it possible to compete some level 5 meets but then drop back to level 4 if it's before the state declaration date? Even if you score a 32 at 5?
Yes. As long as the gymnast doesn’t compete level 5 after the drop back date.

At these lower levels who cares. Each gymnast is going through their own journey and at the end of the day it doesn’t affect your gymnast. Besides at the most a medal if that gymnast drops from 6 to 5 and scores better than yours. But honestly what does it matter at the end of the day. There is so much scrutiny going on without the actual understanding of to op. How does it matter to an individual gymnast. It’s insane. Our gymnasts compete 3 times a year. Over all their training and hard work. Three times a year. And only to get that national recognition. We don’t bother spending money to go to a completion unless there is a title to get to because the medals are just medals. It’s the hard work and determination to become a national gymnast out of the hundreds. Not to compete every three months for the sake of a medal that only the minority the gyms in the country compete at. Spend the time uptraining those skills not spending the time in the gym just to continuously do routines.

At these lower levels who cares. Each gymnast is going through their own journey and at the end of the day it doesn’t affect your gymnast. Besides at the most a medal if that gymnast drops from 6 to 5 and scores better than yours. But honestly what does it matter at the end of the day. There is so much scrutiny going on without the actual understanding of to op. How does it matter to an individual gymnast. It’s insane. Our gymnasts compete 3 times a year. Over all their training and hard work. Three times a year. And only to get that national recognition. We don’t bother spending money to go to a completion unless there is a title to get to because the medals are just medals. It’s the hard work and determination to become a national gymnast out of the hundreds. Not to compete every three months for the sake of a medal that only the minority the gyms in the country compete at. Spend the time uptraining those skills not spending the time in the gym just to continuously do routines.

Maybe some parents were honestly just curious. It's nice knowing that dropping back is allowed if a gymnast is struggling or for other unforeseen events. I had no idea.

I understand a medal is just a medal, but to some gymnasts that will never become nationally recognized for one reason or another, sometimes the medal means the world to them and is something they're proud of because it represents their hard work. It's like any other sport, sure it takes hard work and determination but sometimes a win (or a medal) can help make those long practices just a little bit easier.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back