Is this clear cut?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Scores are only a small part of the equation. For an example in my town there are 3 gyms. Two are actually decent gyms ao so they get compared a lot. Gym A beats Gym B in almost any competition in the complusary levels. Gym B beats Gym A in optionals. Gym A starts working routines in the summer even though competion season dosesn't start until Jan. This gym also holds back a lot of their level 4 and 5 gymnasts. At meets their repeating gymnasts look very polished and have good skills. Gym B spends more time on skill development and doesn't start working on routines until the end of the fall. They also have very few repeaters. Once optionals hit Gym A has lost most of their girls and good scores for them are in the 34s and 35s. Gym B still has large upper level teams and great skills and they socre higher in the 36-37 range. Score don't always accurately give you a clear picture of the gyms philosophy and goals.

While trying to compare the gyms that are near me this is the only information I could find that the 2 closest places competed against each other at. It's not level 9 or 10 so does it even mean anything?​

Cali,​

If you want more information about how successful a gym is in placing its girls in college, you should check out collegegymfans:​

If you go to "recruitables" and look at Illinois, you will get an idea of which gyms get their girls to college. Go back a few years to get a complete picture.​

Caveat #1: this may not be what you are looking for at this stage. It is my understanding that your daughter is transitioning from cheer to gym and may not want to go straight to a hyper-competitive gym.​

Caveat #2: the sheer number of level 9s and 10s, and girls who get into college, is not necessarily an indicator of the quality of a gym, but the correlation is strong enough that it is worth considering. There are small gyms that have good coaches.​

Caveat #3: As you have implied, being good at coaching Levels 9 & 10 doesn't necessarily mean that you are good at coaching compulsory, and vice-versa. For example, I wouldn't recommend my dd's old coach for compulsory, but he is great for coaching elites since he was a former world champion himself.​

Good luck with your gym search!​

I know in my daughters gym scores really varied from last year to this year. Last year daughters group was 1st year level 4's and they were 6-7 years old they scored pretty low but there were also older girls who were a few older girls who were between 9 and 11 also first year level 4's they scored not at the top but at the middle. This past year daughter repeated 4 along with one of the younger girls and did very well and placed in alot of meets. The older girls moved up to level5 did extremely well and placed at the top of most meets. The coaches were the same I think the only thing that changed was it was their 2nd year competeing and the practice hours increased, they also got older. So I would say scores are only a part of it, I think you want to have scores somewhere in the middle. I also noticed that the girls who score really high at our gym keep scoring high as they move up so I think alot of it is just natural talent, some kids are just better than others.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back