Parents Is this good or bad...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I would just like to know if there is a good reason why the USGA does not want six year olds competing in L5?

Hey, if your coach says she's ready, and you the parent says shes ready, and the child is willing and able....then why not? I mean heck, in China they start serious conditioning and training for many hours a day much earlier than here in the states, and well, those athletes don't seem to be the worse for it.

Maybe the USGA is just a bunch of knuckle heads who are being over causious. I say good for your coach who has found a way to get around the rules. If I had my way, they'd all start their training in the womb. Why doesn't the USGA just get with the program.

USAG must certainly realize that in order for a 7 yr old to compete L5 at 7 years old, they would most likely be training L5 at 6 years old.

Training the skills for L5 is very typical even when you are a L3. All gymnasts will need to learn their kip, bhs's, fhs's, cartwheel on beam, handstand on beam, fhs vault etc. These are some of the skills that gymnastics builds on.

OK, I want to take one more crack at this, this time without tongue in cheek. As a parent, I find that I always want my kids to excel. But, as a parent, I have a bigger responsibility to make the executive decision as to what is best for my children. When a child shows a special gift in an area, my belief is to get the best possible resources available to help that child realize their gift whatever it might be. To that end, there is also the possibility that a child might be pushed to far to fast.

This is where it gets tough as it can be very hard to discern what is to far and to fast. It can also be impossible to know what problems might arise in the future due to a decision that you might make now. As an adolescent, building self confidence through accomplishment is a great benefit, and the sport of gymnastics goes a long way to this end. It builds physical strength through conditioning. It builds coordination through repeated physical movement. It builds character, discipline and lasting relationships through the spirit of team competition.

Even as a member of a team, you must compete as an individual. While the joy of winning is always your first goal, you must also route for your team members and show good sportsmanship in success and failure - while you might win, your team might lose and when you might lose, the group as a whole might win - You will learn to face your fears and conquer them. This is a great life lesson as you will learn that the only failure is not trying.

These are the things that we should strive for our children to get out of gymnastics. While it might be easy to get caught up in the hype of pushing a young child to leave her peers behind to compete with the older athletes, much will be lost as well. The age of six just seems so young to be pushed ahead by an eager coach. It's easy to let these coaches get in your head as they are likely telling you how amazing your child is...something as parents we already know, but like to hear anyway.

I would love to see you take a deep breath and step away from the situation for a moment and seriously consider the possibility that it's too soon. If she's that talented, a year won't make a difference. Maybe there are examples of kids who traveled this route and went on to be very successful, but it is helpful to step back and consider at what cost. You're only young once. Some kids will sacrifice much just to please their parents but ultimately it is our responsibility to make the executive decision as to what is best for their well being.

USAG must certainly realize that in order for a 7 yr old to compete L5 at 7 years old, they would most likely be training L5 at 6 years old.

It might also be said that 7 is the 'minimum' age allowable. I think there is a fine line between 'training up' and being placed in a level that is not permissible due to an age restriction put in place by the governing body having jurisdiction over the sport. This is likely getting into a 'hot' topic area, so I'll drop it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even as a member of a team, you must compete as an individual. While the joy of winning is always your first goal, you must also route for your team members and show good sportsmanship in success and failure - while you might win, your team might lose and when you might lose, the group as a whole might win - You will learn to face your fears and conquer them. This is a great life lesson as you will learn that the only failure is not trying.

I loved this statement teamdad! Reading it to my DD when she gets home from school. We've been trying to explain to her HOW it is a team sport & get her to understand sometimes it's not just her individual effort, but how she needs to always support her team friends too!

In response to the trying too hard too fast...I just keep telling myself (and my DD) when surrounded by over the top parents "slow and steady wins the race". I love that we are repeating L4 and not looking forward to more hours yet as a L5.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Ingy(created a new nickname!). I think the coaches are putting a very young child in a bad situation. Training with one group, but not competing with them and then competing with another group, but not training with them. Basically, she has no real team to grow with, learn with, have some social events with. I saw this happen to a very good friend of my gymmie's at our old gym. Decided to "fast track" her from L6 to L9----yeah, huge jump. She was 2-3 years younger than the L9s she was training with and also somewhat resented as one of the little stars. Even though she trained and competed with these girls, she never felt like she had any friends and would always run over to talk and spend time with her former teammates who were training for L8. She is no longer in the sport for several reasons(stopped at age 12).

I'm finding this whole fear thing setting in at age 11 or whatever seems to be an excuse coaches use for rushing a child through the levels. You can have a child with a major fear issue at age 5, 6, 7 and on up. I would let her start her competitive career as a L4 with a team and stability. Her L5 season would not be for about a year and I'll bet she'll be ready then.

Yes, it is the 'minimum' age allowed to compete L5.

Oh, sorry. I thought team gymnastics was a competitive sport. Thanks for clearing that up:D I think that we're splitting hairs.

My dd trained up while in L4. She then had to perform the L5 skills and be evaluated by her coaching staff before she was assigned L5. I'm sure that this is pretty common.

First of all, it's great that your coaches think highly of your child to give her many opportunities.

I have found there are two types of pushing up in this sport. One is done by gyms who know what they are doing and then by those who do not. Not knowing any particular gym, I can't say if it's a good idea or a bad one. Only mom knows but mom should also trust her dd's coaches.

Kids are all very different. Some live to compete, some live for repetition, some live for new skills. Depending on the child, "skipping" to L5 and not competing for a year may be a great idea or a horrible one. One of my children skipped 2 levels in the same season. It went great, but she certainly didn't win meets by doing so. As she was motivated by skills (and still is), she loved every second of it.

As for the friends issue . . . One of the sad things about this sport is that your trainingmates won't likely be your trainingmates for long. Even if your child is lucky enough to do one level a year, they will be surrounded by friends who are held back, quit and jump levels. The GREAT gyms are filled with families who make friends of all levels over the years so that the moveups and movenots don't sting as much.

Last edited:
I guess I'm not really sure why they would have her with the other group instead of leaving her with the 4's and having her work L5 skills as well. Our gym has an extremely talented 5 year old who is only old enough to compete level 3 (I think at this point she actually has all her level 6 skills, or is real close). Anyway - she does not train with the level 5's or 6's. She trains with the level 3's and 4's - just works on different things a lot. Also, as a parent who already gives enough money to this sport - if my dd wasn't able to compete a level because of age restrictions, I sure wouldn't want to be paying the gym for that level. All that being said, to be honest, if I were at a gym where I truly believed they had my dd's best interests at heart, I would still probably go with what the coaches suggest.

My DD is 5 and training level 4 she will not be competing this year but is training and she will compete L4 next year and train level 5. The plan as I understand it for my DD is to have her skip a level when she is old enough. For DD it is all a waiting game for her to be the right age. I would trust your coaches they see things we don't. All I do is go with what they are telling me. DD is happy and developing well so I can't complain. I just hate the age 6 rule. When our season starts DD will be as prepared as the ones repeating the season. But oh well. Good luck and have fun.

OMG is it ever !! Whomever thought that strip tease music would be ok for little girls should be fired !!!!

The good news: New compulsory floor music next year. Found this out at Congress this summer. Gyms will still have the option of using the old, but I assume most will want to use the new music.
Imat3

The good news: New compulsory floor music next year. Found this out at Congress this summer. Gyms will still have the option of using the old, but I assume most will want to use the new music.
Imat3

That is awesome! Though my DD really loves the L6 music and has that as a goal right now, to make it to L6, so she can do that.

I would be thrilled if the new music is good. DD will likely have to do at least fall season as a L4 since our gym likes the girls to get 2 seasons of L4 and she won't compete her first season until spring. It would be nice to hear different music, though maybe hard for the girls to do same routine to different music? That is kind of confusing. I will be glad to never hear the L5 music again. LOL. And even more thrilled if my DD never has to use that music. :D Hopefully the new music is good.

That is awesome! Though my DD really loves the L6 music and has that as a goal right now, to make it to L6, so she can do that.

My DD as well loves the level 6 floor music. Wish me luck trying to break the news to her:p

Good luck!! I'm sure it won't be easy, but I hope that you feel in your heart that your making the best decision. I will likely be facing a similar decision next month, and since DD already knows that she might skip a level, it's going to be difficult.

She started out in L4 in the middle of the pack, but became a stronger competitor towards the end of the season. In L5 her first meet was tough and she didn't even place. It was the same day as her birthday (she turned 10) and she was very upset, but learned alot about sportsmanship and also about herself. From that experience, she learned to control her emotions and became a more mature competitor.

The next meet, she had her first AA first place finish and was very satisfied as she has worked very hard. From there she built alot of confidence and while not always first, she was always on the podium. She also emerged as the team leader and relished the affection of the other girls competing for her attention. After a two month layoff due to injury, she finished the season strong with a 2nd place finish at states in the AA and a first place finish in bars. Without having practiced in the time leading to the States, she drew on her competitive spirit and the confidence that she had built up during a good season. We were just thrilled that after all her hard work that she was able to compete. My heart was definitely overflowwing with joy at her sucess.

She is now training L6 and training up for L7. Her coach mentioned in June that they'd like to skip her up to L7 and that she should spend her summer in the gym training. She said that they would make the evaluation after the summer as they never know what kind of shape the kids are going to show up in in September. I wanted her to spend the summer just being a kid, and she did. We did fit in some gymnastics towards the end of summer though. If she does skip to L7, she won't be the oldest or the youngest either. Personally, I'd like to see her compete as a L6 this year, but I've got an uphill battle ahead of me and my wife is not on board with it. She'd rather her compete two years as a L7 if she needs to. She makes some very good points to that end so we'll see how this ends up.

Good luck and enjoy your season. I wish you much sucess:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back