Parents Ist gym injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well, I guess I was fooling myself, believing my daughter to be the one who would remain unscathed during her dance with gymnastics:(

Rayna landed the round off portion of her beam dismount on one big toe yesterday, then proceeded to set off the toe and still throw her backhandspring to complete the dismount.

The impact of this was enough to not only dislocate the toe, but also break the bone into 3 pieces. I have to applaud her for seeing it through so thoroughly!

We had pleasant nurses and a great (though very young) ER doctor who took care of her. Her eyes welled up with tears during the metatarsal block, but she wouldn't cave and cry. Sadly, the freezing didn't take and she had to have the toe corrected without the effects of freezing. She ground her teeth, sqeezed my thumbs to tingly numbness, and got through it with measured breathing.

The doctor and nurse said she's the most disciplined patient they've ever treated, adults included! I'm *so* proud of her, and more sad for her pain and misfortune.

She broke down and cried last night about her predicament. She'll have to miss her first qualifier as it's only 5 weeks away, and she'll likely be out of commission for the next 4 weeks. She will however be *queen of the bars* as her coach said:)

We'll know more about her healing time on Friday when she has her follow up at the orthopeadic clinic.

Wish her a speedy recovery, and a big dose of patience.

Canadian Gym Mom

That really stinks - I am so sorry. Sending the get well fairy and the bone healing fairy her way.

It sounds like you have quite the trooper. Tell her we are thinking of her and to think of her killer bars !!

Oh poor, poor Rayna, she is one tough cookie to go through that level of pain. It must have been very scary for both of you, I am glad you were treated well at the hospital.

I'll keep everything crossed for her, she won't lose skills in 5 weeks, and with the great coaching she has she'll bounce back quickly.

Does Rayna only need to get the qualifying score at one meet or at two?

Sending good karma her way from Quebec!:)

What a tough girl you have! It must stink for her to miss out:( But, as her coach said she will be the queen of bars:) Sending the get well fairy up to Canada:wizard::eek:uch:

Hi Wendy,

I'm not entirely sure. I had a lot of hospital time with her coach (wonderful woman, refused to leave until she saw x-rays and knew Rayna was ok) She told me that Provincials will be done differently this year. There will be an *Ontario Cup* meet, and only the top 32 participants from that meet will go to Provincials.

I'm not sure what that means as far as qualifying scores go. Maybe they qualify for that meet? Funny, you've got me thinking now, lol, at the time I was stressed and worried, not really looking forward.

We did talk worst case scenarios (surgery) and I asked if she'd lose her season over that, to which she responded, no, she'd just be out of *real* training for 2.5 months.

So, while this qualifier is out, she will be super ready for the Mid-January meet.

Thanks for the karma. My real job is to keep her focussed on what can be done rather than what has been lost. She's feeling so discouraged.

Heidi

Oh poor, poor Rayna, she is one tough cookie to go through that level of pain. It must have been very scary for both of you, I am glad you were treated well at the hospital.

I'll keep everything crossed for her, she won't lose skills in 5 weeks, and with the great coaching she has she'll bounce back quickly.

Does Rayna only need to get the qualifying score at one meet or at two?

Sending good karma her way from Quebec!:)

So sorry to hear about your dd's injury.I broke my big toe years back by dropping a tv on it and hurt like crazy .I had no idea how much you really use your big toe until that happened .Sound like your dd is a lot more tougher then I was.Sending quick healing to your dd!

Oh, I'm so sorry for your DD. Of course she is discouraged, poor thing! I'll bet she'll be feeling more 'up' soon, though. It's tough the first couple of days after an injury like that w/ the ER visit & all. It's all a bit traumatic, and she is feeling the emotional effects of that, I'm sure. With some rest, and then once she's back in the gym at least conditioning & being around her friends, I am sure she will feel better. Good luck to her (and to you!)! :eek:

Rayna is certainly one tough girl. So sorry to hear about the injury. Had a girl at our gym do just about the same thing practicing a ro-bt dismount on beam. Yes, she became a bar queen too!!!

Sending the "heal quickly" fairy your way.

I'm so sorry to hear about her injury :( I hope she heals really fast.

Ouch, what a brave little girl. I hope that she heals really fast and that she can be positive in looking forward to what she will be able to do when she is all healed up. It is so hard for them.

Hugs to both of you. Lots of healing vibes going off to Canada right now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back