WAG It happened in 2012!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Nicci, I know how you feel about the backward steps. It does seem to happen much more often in this crazy sport! I had a very off week last week--just felt really tired and slightly "lost" during both days of class and my wrist was bothering me. But luckily there is always another week to move forward and make things better :] My gym is probably going to have our adult meet in November this year so I have a lot of work to do! Planning on at least competing bars and vault...possibly beam and maybe floor but that one isn't likely.

Yup I know the feeling Nicci.

I semi-consistant (3 out of 5 type of thing) made my highbar kip for a while. Then all of the sudden I lost it completely couldn't even make one for weeks. At least 3-4 weeks.
I finally got it back just this past week. It was super frusturating.

Vault also seems to get me. I can make beautiful vaults one day and not be concerned at all. And then the next I have trouble even making it over and won't do it without a spot etc...

So it's not just you!!

Well, fortunately today I was able to vault! Which went pretty well- SIGH OF RELIEF! But yesterday, bars was pretty good, today, nope, not happening. Beam finally did just shy of reg height beam with 8 incher underneath, stuck two of my cartwheels, happy with that. And floor, well I still haven't run it to my music again, but I've done a bizillion dry runs. Two hours tomorrow and a private, heres to all going well!

I'm new here so i thought i should add my goals for this year :) I just started gymnastics so right now my goals are to learn how to do a back handspring and learn basic skills on bars :)

Goals are good to have! Just remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint! And those are some pretty good goals to work on!
So today, I was at practice, just goofing around(it was great, and I needed a fun day!) then I decided it was time to get serious and work on bars. Ok, so my transition to high bar, great! Tap swings, great! lvl 5 dismount, Great! Then, off I go. Peeled right off the bar on the back swing, caught my foot on the low bar, and instead of falling flat on my stomach in a GOOD position, which is what I was aiming for, I ended up having my feet go back and landing on my face. So then I got a sore nose. THEN, because I can't stand leaving it at that, I went again. And peeled again! This time I Landed on my butt, and threw my arm out behind me. Yup, hyperextended it, and it's still sore. Then, off to another practice (yes, I have two practices on Fridays when I don't work). Had to redeem myself on bars. Low bar routine, stellar. Time to go to the high bar. Guess whos foot slips? Yup, So then I tore up the back of my leg from slipping/ falling off the bar. Then I have to go back to having a big fat matt underneath me so I can reconvince my brain that is really ISNT a scary thing to do! so that went well. And I vaulted. Bailed twice, was made to do 20 handstand pushups. It's good motivation to not bail! So we shall see. Floor, I ran twice today with music and had corrections made, but it went well. Now the only thing I'm bummed about. I am signed up for nationals, and though I signed up for ladies novice, I am in the group with kids. Super. Hopefully they will fix that!

Wow, Nicci. Rough day. Do you have dowel grips? If you're peeling that much I'd recommend them, they really do help with that!!

But in other news, you're gym sounds very awesome for adults! Wish there was a gym around here like that!

Practice went well for me, I made 2/3 low bar kips (yes, still tapping the floor on my glide ugh) and 4/5 highbar kips. Plus I did a few freehips that looked pretty good, just can't shoot my feet back up to the block.
On beam I stuck 5 cartwheels in a row and improved my handstands. I worked a little on back walkovers, but they hurt my back so much I can't do to many.
Floor went well, tumbling was always my strength, just gotta get past the fear. My coach says I have to start flipping Round-Off Back handspring back tucks next week. Not exactly looking forward to it, even though I know I could do it. It's a mental issue.
Vault, ehh. It's getting a lot better but I simply cannot figure out how to block off the vault. It's like a have a great pre flight, straight body, heel drive and then I just sink into the vault. I've done drill after drill on the ground for blocking and can do them fine, but in the middle of a vault. Nope.

Yeah, it was just an off day for bars. I do have dowel grips, but these are a new pair, so I think between that and the inexperience of going to the high bar (IE thinking I need to jump when I REALLY dont lol!). My last pair are incredibly broken in, and these ones are breaking in nicely, I have the tensports, they're awesome!

Gymnastics is so mental it's not even funny. One thing I have noticed when I vault, and when I tend to have a better block, if you actually mentally slow yourself down for a second and look at your hands when they hit the table and think, PUSH. I have found for me anyway, that that helps a lot.

I tried out a gym in WA this week. I've definitely been spoiled by my gym in Houston but you know, it was fun and that's all that I need. I'm out of shape after my 6 months off but was pleasantly surprised that I haven't lost any skills (to my knowledge). Bars is what I'm most concerned about skill wise and we only had a short amount of time there so I'll see if I can test the waters more next time. I did beam for the 3rd time ever and made 2 out of 4 cartwheels on the low beam. That was encouraging. I was huffing and puffing the whole time I was there and was sore the rest of the week. IT WAS GREAT! :)

I only have 2 goals:
1) Don't get any time off injuries!!! I can't stand month(s) off!
2) Get all my routines together for next season! Which would include getting my flick lay on beam, <--- love those!!!

I did my meet. And even though the only thing I didn't completely mess up was my floor, I completed everything I worked for. And it was only my third meet ever, with it being my first REAL meet (one fun meet and one laid back adult meet). Good experience and I can't wait to start uptraining!

So I went to adult class last night, and just had a blast. I worked more BHS over the barrel and I'm just about clearing it now(it's great how quickly stuff starts to come back....I haven't really worked BHS since my knee surgery two years ago!) and back tucks over the barrel into the resi pit. Tons of fun. Sometimes the time AFTER a meet is more fun, because there is no concern about getting all your stuff in order for a meet!

I competed at AAU summer nationals. I had a pretty solid day. No falls although start values were less than 10 on vault, bars and floor which I will be working on over the summer. I can do the upgrades but having the routine endurance and consistency is not always there. I also have a few other goal skills that I would like to compete. So over the summer my main goals are

Clean up my straddle back and put it back into my routine.
Finally get comfortable with handspring fulls and 1 1/2s on vault.
Add bhs to my beam routine.
Have two double salto passes in my pocket so I don't ever get hit with that deduction again!

If I didn't know that you were planning that in your routine, I never would have known that it got left out! You just kept going!

I would love to add a FHS and FT into my floor routine, I think it's pretty doable for possibly winter time!

Sounds like you guys had a great time at your meets! I've been having issues with my right wrist and hand for about the last month and someone just figured out last week that I most likely have tennis elbow. I guess the tendon on the outside of the elbow goes all the way down your arm and into your hand. So I now have a brace for my elbow and I'm going to be working on lots of strength for all the muscles around the elbow--no bars vault or floor stuff that involves being on my hands for a little while. I'm a little bit frustrated but I've decided to look at it as an opportunity to do extra conditioning and maybe work on some things I normally avoid (like beam!;)). Hopefully I'll find enough to do at practice tonight.

Tonight was not a good night. I love gymnastics and I feel like I've been fighting my body for so long, but I'm so tired of being injured and hurting all the time. I hate that I can't run because my hips always hurt. I hate that my ankle is so damaged that I can't dance properly anymore. Gymnastics really is an addiction and I think it's hard to recognize and admit when it's starting to do more harm than good. So I think I need to at least take a break for a while because it's ridiculous for a 21 year old to feel like their body is falling apart.

I think the best thing I could have done for myself was the 6 months I took off. All of my nagging injuries have gone away and I didn't even have to use my tiger paws at practice. I know it's hard to take time off but it may be worth it for you.

Ok so, I had tons of fun tonight, always an important one. Discovered I can do 3/4 of a skin the cat. Stood up 2 out of 3 front tucks, like stood up straight up and down, like your supposed to (I have always landed in a squat and had to stand up out of that). And I can still do my pullover, even 3.5 weeks later lol

Ok, so here I am again. This week I attempted a tucked fly away for the first time. All I have to do is finish pulling it. One of my old coaches from team saw me and she was like, Just get over it and flip! Can't wait to try them again, I think they will be wicked fun once I get over the fear of it!

hi! i am new to this mb! you guys are really inspiring. i took a class on friday for the first time in 2 years. the one i took 2 years ago was the first in 10 years! i am unbelievably sore but i know the best thing to do is get back in there and not wait another 2 years. i would like to get my spilts and my kip.

there were 2 guys in their 40s or 50s doing high bar the whole time during the class, giants and some full twisting and front i think. it was just beautiful to watch! they weren't muscled or high speed, just rhythmic and mesmerizing! i would love to do giants again, my goal for 2013!

I didn't even realize that I did that much bars tonight but my hands are sore. Must be the heat because I didn't want to dismount into the open foam so I did my flyaway fulls onto a mat!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back