WAG It happened in 2012!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Attempted my tuck fly away again tonight.....and let go too early and landed on my head. Fortunately it was into the pit. So it was a little funny but now my back is a little sore too. Aw well better luck next time lol

Thank goodness for foam! I wouldn't try half the stuff I do without it. Nicci, at least you know that you let go early...now you can fix it

Just a small update on my break...I've only been out for about a month, but my back (hurt b/c of hip problems) and hip feel so much better already! The only problem I'm still having is with my hand and wrist. It would feel completely fine until I tried to put any weight on it in a handstand, and then the pain just shoots through my hand. I originally thought it was just an overuse thing, but it doesn't seem to have gotten any better over the last month, so I may have to go get it looked at just to be safe.

I think getting it looked at at this point would be best, to rule out anything, especially if resting it hasnt helped any. Keep us posted on that!

Yeah, it was funny Katy, because since I was upside down in the pit, it took a few minutes for me to get rightside up, and one of the ladies in my class saw me go in, and came over to make sure I was alive LOL!

I'm still waiting for my wrist to heal. It continues to improve, just very very slowly. I can put weight on it now, such as a front support, and get almost vertical, so this is big progress. I can do a bunny hop and even half a handstand, but not too much. It still doesn't like the sideways motion so no cartwheel yet. I managed a circle up to front support and small cast on the bar the other day which was encouraging. It has been a long time since the injury and I wonder if it will ever heal enough for me to get back to gymnastics without reinjuring it, but I still hold out hope.

I remember a wrist exercise we had to do. It's easy to make. Get a five pound weight, a four foot piece or rope, and something round that is a foot long with an inch diameter. Tie one end of the rope to the stick and the other to the weight. Stand with your arms straight and raised to horizontal, holding the stick with both hands, just using the wrist, turn the stick until you wind the rope all the way to the top, then unwind and repeat.

Thanks for the exercise katy! I'll have to see if I can make one of those. I never actually did anything to injure my hand...it just started hurting and kept getting worse the more I did on it, so it shouldn't be anything major. I'm probably going to give it until I get back from vacation in a few weeks and then decide if it needs to be looked at, but if I knew there was something specific that happened to make it start hurting I definitely would have gone to a doctor by now.

Sunday was such a fun practice. We had 7 of us warming up together doing passes on floor! Started with leaps and jumps, then handstands, cartwheels, etc and worked up to RO BHS LO! Great workout!!

I haven't actually tried it yet, but I think I might start working on half ons. I want a Tsuk oneday, but something it seems a little less intimidating to do a roundoff onto the table then a handspring. Thoughts?

It's been pretty quiet around here the last few days guys, hope everyone's summers are going great! Went to open gym tonight, and did a little of everything but vault. Still working on my leap and jump series on beam, because I don't want them to be non existent in my next competition, and since I like the jumps and leaps in my beam routine, I'm going to keep them :) I also started working on my new beam dismount tonight, front tucks. It is really weird punching off the beam! Fortunately one of the gyms I go to has one of those fold away beams, and I just set it up going into the pit. Also did lots of front handsprings and regular front tucks tonight too going on the tt and the resi pit.

Bars, still working on that kip! And my squat on, and my FHC. My squat on I got one ball of my foot on tonight, and tapped the toes of my other foot, so that is progress, and I don't feel as though I was pulling away from the bar as much as I usually do. FHC still eludes me, so no progress there yet, but I will get it! My kip, well, I can get my chin above the bar now. I need someone to spot me so I can actually feel what it feels like, as I have never been spotted on one!

Thought I'd add in.

I decided to try round-offs on beam at open gym the other day. I ended up getting it on the raised beam without mats! They come really easily to me!
I did a few round-off handspring tucks the other day and did several very nice ones by myself into the resi pit. But then I did one where I punched, freaked out and then ended up pulling it around and landing on my stomach, luckily in the resi pit but it sort of freaked me out.

Bar is rough as usual. Ugh still can't keep my feet up on a glide. I just don't know how to gain/use those ab muscles.
I make around 8/10 highbar kips. Squat ons I make them all (Even though they freak me out) but I often fall backwards on them. My FHC are rough. I make them but man they are UGLY!

Back walkovers on beam hurt my back so bad I can't do them often. So lvl 6 should be difficult.

I am still not training (extremely busy with uni) but my wrist is gradually improving. I can actually do a few handstands on it now! Not too many, though as it feels it a little after two or three. Haven't tried a cartwheel yet as it is more sensitive with the sideways movement and weight transfer on the hand, and I don't want to upset it and set it back. Really happy about the handstand though!

Thursday I say the team girls doing straddle backs. This inspired me to play on the real bars instead of pit bar. I've been working pit bar for over a year because of my ankle. I had to relearn my real bar setting and timing for giants but it made me try a little harder! It even inspired me to make a new bar routine...I'll admit...the inspiration was because I think it's time to water my old one down a little until I get my endurance back.
I love knowing that the competitive season right around the corner!

Today I had a really good workout! I was doing really well with my flysprings on the tumble track! I was worried because I had to miss last week, I fell asleep on the couch and wasn't safe to drive to the gym so sleepy so I napped for like two hours instead! I have been making slow progress back to the flyspring after I ended up taking a month off after I had gotten it solid on the tumble track. I've been so frustrated too! So I thought for sure I'd be taking a step back at the beginning of practice but they were still as good as two weeks ago! It even got to the point where I was getting a little rebound after it :)
Then I did bars for a short while, did a pretty good front hip circle! Hurt SO BADLY though... holy wow they hurt your belly when you have a belly and don't do them exactly right. So I only did it once LOL
Beam was a blast! I got myself a 2x4 the other day and have just been waling and jumping and hopping and leaping on it every day. I guess that helped me with my balance a bit, and my tape beam I have been doing my cartwheels on. We also have a sand paper like surface on my favorite beam in the gym now :( so I gave it a chance and still hate hate hate it for turns but liked it a lot for cartwheels and handstands, despite hurting my hands on the handstands.

I guess that's my update for now. I haven'y done vault in like 2 years, maybe next week I will get to it! I was thinking of asking my coach to help me set up some drills but she was dealing with gym drama (our gym has been in the spotlight the past few days, you may see her, she's going to be on national TV tomorrow!)

~Katy

Well I WANTED to continue to work on bars for the second day today, but five minutes in and about 15 tap swings later, I had a rip. Great. So I sprayed on my liquid bandage, and went at it again. It hurt, and two more rips on my OTHER hand appear. I mean, I know I haven't done a TON of bars this summer, but C'MON, really??? So off to work more on my beam dismount, starting with drills of punching off the beam. Getting good at those, started tucking them (still going into resi pit). That and conditioning was the extent of my day today. Going to start vaulting again next week I think!

Just a little update on me: As of right now, I'm not planning on going back to gymnastics any time soon (I may decide to go back at some point in the future though). My friend was an all star cheerleader for years and had to quit after this last year because she was having problems with injuries, but the gym she goes to has a parent team that is just for fun and won't be as hard on our bodies, so we are both going to be doing that starting next month :] Maybe I'll get to be a flyer since I'm pretty small for an adult :p I'm beyond excited to get to try another thing I always wanted to do when I was younger, and we actually get to compete at a few cheer comps so that will be really fun!

Thanks nicci! I will definitely keep you guys updated! Also just wanted to say that I really appreciate everyone's support and encouragement in our small adult gymnast (+1 soon-to-be cheerleader :p) community. I love reading about everyone's progress on here!

I ripped half my hand off today!! But I had some amazing tap swings lol. Now I just have to get up the guts to start casting into the swing. Maybe next week when my hand heals I will try to do a high bar kip

I was just wondering how you guys train? Do you take private lessons or are your adult classes structured enough to teach you all this? All the gyms around me have adult classes that are more like run around and do what you want without help, so we dont learn anything and it's really frustrating!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back