WAG It happened in 2012!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm fortunate that I have a couple of structured classes a week. I also go to open gym as well and find sometimes I get more out of open gyms than I do adult class! But because of this my floor is really lacking for tumbling

I have not been on cb lately. But, gymnastics is going well. To answer the last question, I am fortunate enough to work out with my gym's team.

Over the summer I managed to upgrade my front thru to roundoff back pike, to a layout. Also sometimes can land run, punch front pike, front tuck. I did a few layout 1/2 to floor with a 4" mat.

I added back handspring and cartwheel back pike dismount to my beam routine. Front walkover is still spotty.

Bars and vault are still in training phase of upgrades, but by January I hope to have my routines set on those events for my first AAU meet of the year.

In other news I slipped off high beam on a full turn and got my first beam bite in a long time...that skill will always torment me~!

I was just wondering how you guys train? Do you take private lessons or are your adult classes structured enough to teach you all this? All the gyms around me have adult classes that are more like run around and do what you want without help, so we dont learn anything and it's really frustrating!

I have the same problem. When I started there was no structured class, then last year they had a structured class which was great, but they are not running it this year. I learned so much with the structured class, getting regular coaching.

Our class is kind of open gym kind of structured. We have a structured warm-up, and our coach will work with us on specific skills we are working on, primarily tumbling skills though.

This week I also got a rip. Joy. I deal with them by not doing anything, except covering them if I am going to be using the hand, and using 100% shea butter or some chap stick to keep it soft. I find if I don't mess with it and I leave the skin over it, it doesn't start to hurt. But I have a super good immune system so I don't worry too much about it getting infected!

Beam went really well this week! I was doing my leaps REALLY well. I have changed which foot I have in front for my tuck jump and it's made a HUGE difference. My cartwheel was OK and my english handstand was much better! I finally started actually going for it again.

~Katy

so lucky! We dont even have a coach... the coach works with the team girls while we get some guy who never did gymnastics and doesnt know how to spot (so he just doesnt spot anything). Basically we warm up by just doing handstands then the rest of class is doing front handsprings on tumbletrack or anything else if you already know how to do it. We never are taught or learn anything new so i'm thinking of just giving up on gymnastics rather than paying every week for nothing

Tkdgirl, talk to the head coach or gym owner and let them know that you are not getting your moneys worth. Adults are much more likely to get injured and need a coach who can spot. Having someone just stand there while y'all do basics that you already know on TT is a waste of your time and there's.

You need a coach who can spot adults. We have a good coach who will help with specific skills if you ask him.

Welp, where I ripped last week ended up wearing down and bleeding after like 10 swings tonight. BOO. BUT on the plus side I did bars last and practice was over anyways, AND I started doing my flysprings on the rod floor! I can DO them if I do them onto a mat on the rod floor, so why I am so inconsistent once I take that mat away is beyond me. But my coach said it's the first half, I am piking, so I think it's mental issue where I don't really GO for it like I can.

~Katy

GikiGirl: are you doing the winter nationals again?
I have been training the power tumbling much more than the artistic. I would love a new floor routine this season but I don't if that's going to happen.
Really looking forward to Sunday's practice...I've been on vacation for the last week!

Katy are u going? Gina and I will both hopefully be attending. Summer nationals was a ton of fun this year too, hope you get to go!

This week I didn't rip(YAY!) continues to work on my FHS to get on regular floor and my front tuck as well. Really want those in my floor routine. Cartwheel on beam feels like it's getting better. I had it button consistently when I competed it this past summer. And I am going to take a tumbling class as well, since as I mentioned, my tumbling is lacking. Might go to open gym on Sunday. We will see

This week, gym went well.
On floor I got my front tuck onto an 8-incher, so you think it would be easier on the floor since I have it 'up' onto something haha, we'll see. I plan on trying a few at open gym on Sunday. Haven't worked round-off handspring tucks in a while, haven't had a coach to spot me. Back ext. rolls still give me a heck of a time. But they are getting better.

Bars, I'm working on doing a glide kip after my free-hip, not working so well....haha. I'm super close to my fly-away just need to get the courage to do it myself, everyone says I can. I have my baby giant, but with bent legs, hopefully I can get it a little cleaner soon!!

Beam, Back walkovers still KILL my back!!!! But when I do, do them they are getting a lot more consistent on low beam! I've decided to work round-offs as well as they don't hurt my back.

Vault is vault. haha. I don't have an amazing vault but I don't have an awful vault. I think it's my block off the vault, I come in well and then I just sink onto the vault a bit.

Overall, it's going pretty well. No injuries, no rips lately!

As of now, there are three of us planning on going to winter nationals with a potential fourth!!!
I've been leading Sunday's practice like a class with all of us doing warm ups together on floor. I'm relearning to set properly for my layouts on floor. I actually think I set better when I twist lol.

I stood up front handsprings again...with a sprained toe lol. Tried to stand up front tucks into the res pit, didn't work, but I didn't land as much on my tush as I have when I tried last time, so I guess that's a step in the right direction. Three more practices to go this week! Oh and lots of conditioning for kips. Sigh...feel as though I have been stuck at the same spot for EVER. Just keep trucking I guess.

Katy I hope you guys make it! I have started working half ons, SO super fun! I'm just doing them on the TT right now landing into the pit, but I find them far less intimidating then a regular FHS vault. Although those are fun too lol. Been kind of taking it easy this week because I overdid myself a little bit working out last week with my toe, and it has been bothering me a fair amount. How have things been for everyone else? I feel as if this board is practically shut down now!

interesting couple weeks at the gym...I was reminded that phones are a tool to improve my gymnastics and what happens when I let myself get distracted by a new man texting...pealing on a straddle back and slamming into the low bar with the back of my knees...oh wait, it gets better...then the momentum flips me forward on to my back. Of course the girls are around whom are also working straddle back so I say, see that wasn't that bad" and I had to get up and do another one lol. It took about a week for the giant strawberries on the backs of my knees to heal!
My form is improving! First time in over a year that I did fulls on floor. Also saw that my bhs step out on beam is so ugly that it is now a bhs two foot...much cleaner!
Still need to get my act together and finish cutting my floor music...season starts soon!!!!

Been to the gym a couple of times in the past few weeks. Still horrendously busy studying. Wrist heaps better! Sunday night I did lots of handstands, some cartwheels, a few round-offs on the tumble-track, and lot of BHC on the bar. Wrist was okay! It is not 100% yet, but SOOOOO much better! It felt fantastic to be back in the gym again, even being unfit and rusty as I am.

I've been having a real hard time getting back into the swing of things since I moved. I'm going to try the other gym near me tonight and see if I like it any better.

The last couple of weeks I have been really focusing on my front tucks and front handsprings. Haven't done much with bars and I'm contemplating not doing them at all because they're such a challenge for me but we will see. I was doing well on beam for awhile then developed a brain block on my cartwheel so I've had to go back to basics and low beam with mat for now on that. I can finally do a good strong round off on floor again though! Haven't been able to in about a year , since I tore my meniscus again last year. Still working on back tuck over the barrel and trying now to learn to use my abs to get over and not the barrel. Learning to listen to jy body when I practice and I think that is having a huge difference

I can finally do a good strong round off on floor again though! Haven't been able to in about a year , since I tore my meniscus again last year.

Me too, since I hurt my wrist last year. Finally last night I did some round-offs on floor. They weren't great but a couple weren't too bad. My wrist was fine, so I was very happy!

I don't think I've learned a darn thing in 2012! I did find a great tool though. It's an app called coach's eye. It's basically a video recorder, but you can slow it down frame by frame and they have tools so you can annotate right on the video to show where you have bad form. It's pretty cool.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back