WAG It has been longer then I thought...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have been retired/ out of the competitive gymnastics world for almost a decade (yikes...).

Back when I retired I don't remember half the things I see being discussed on CB daily. So can somebody please give me a high-level overview of what gymnastics has become over the last decade in terms of levels/ progressions/ etc.

Some specific questions I have (Guarantee there will be more to come):

Compulsory v.s. Optional? When do you become an optional gymnast?
Hopes, Excel, JO (Junior Open?) - What are these and how are they different from 'competitive'
Level 10 v.s. Elite? - What is the difference?
Canada v.s. the USA - how different are the progressions between the two countries.
Average routines for level 4? 6? 7?

The reason I ask about the average routine for a level 4 gymnast was because I competed level 4, training level 5 when I retired. My routines/ skills as follows:
Vault: front-handspring. I was capable of doing a front handspring full twist, as well as a very sloppy tsuke (something I more-so trained for 'fun' during open gyms...). I was a strong vaulter
Bars: Kip Tuck on, jump to HB, Kip, Back-hip circle, Straddle under-swing dismount with a 1/2 twist
Floor: Ro-Bh-Bt & Ro-Bh-Bh.
Beam: BWO-BWO, Cartwheel, Gainer Dismount (off the side of the beam)

However now I feel like the levels are vastly different. So, what "level" would the above skill set ^ be? I am wondering strictly out of personal curiosity - no other reason.

Thank you in advance.

To further my post: If people are wondering about my banners - I coach cheerleading, but came here to look at drills tips and tricks for tumbling. I also have my little niece who just started 'kinder gym' hence the proud relative tag.
I just don't want my credibility questioned.
Thank you so kindly for understanding :)

I don't know about Canada, but in the USA. compulsories are levels 1-5, optionals levels 6-7.
Many states don't compete levels 1 and 2 though, and the first mandatory level is L4 (gymnast must be at least 7 years old).
After scoring out of L4 and L5 (minimum score 32 AA), you can move to level 7 (or level 6 but it is not mandatory level so you don't have to score out of it).
for levels 4-7, you need to be 7 years old at least. For L8 minimum age is 8 years, for L9 = 9 years and L10 = 10 years. But it is very rare to almost nonexistent to see gymnasts this young at these higher (8-10) levels. This is the USAG JO (Junior Olympic) stream.
To get an idea about current requirements for each level, search videos on youtube (make sure the videos are from 2014 or newer - the levels changed in fall 2013)
Xcel is another USAG stream, designed as less intense competitive program. Levels bronze, silver, gold, platinum and diamond.

Hopes are basically elite stream for young gymnasts (age categories 10-11 and 12-13).

Not sure about the exact differences between L10 and Elite, other than elite routines are much harder and judges much more strict :)

I don't know for the other provinces but in Québec, we have the regional circuit (CR1, CR2 and CR3). Than the provincial circuit (P4 to P8). These levels are kind of like the us' for the difficulty. There's no compulsories even for the lower levels.

But, Canada is complicated!

For the national circuit:
  • We all have adopted the US Junior Olympic program for level 9 and 10 with some modifications to make the transition easier.
  • There is the high performance program (novice 11-13 years old, junior 12-15 years old, than senior). That's the elite path.
  • The aspire program (aspire 1 and 2) is for younger gymnasts (9-11 years old) who aim to reach the higher levels.
Yeah, complicated, even for coaches who've been coaching for almost 15 years (me :p)

I don't know for the other provinces but in Québec, we have the regional circuit (CR1, CR2 and CR3). Than the provincial circuit (P4 to P8). These levels are kind of like the us' for the difficulty. There's no compulsories even for the lower levels.

But, Canada is complicated!

For the national circuit:
  • We all have adopted the US Junior Olympic program for level 9 and 10 with some modifications to make the transition easier.
  • There is the high performance program (novice 11-13 years old, junior 12-15 years old, than senior). That's the elite path.
  • The aspire program (aspire 1 and 2) is for younger gymnasts (9-11 years old) who aim to reach the higher levels.
Yeah, complicated, even for coaches who've been coaching for almost 15 years (me :p)

Okay so Canada doesn't sound like it has changed all that much. I remember never having compulsory routines - glad to see that hasn't changed.
I remember Pre-Competitive 1,2,3 (ages 6,7,8 respectively) then moving on to level 4 (invitational) or level 5 (provincial). And moved through the levels to level 10. I never knew what happened after lv.10 - but also didn't have a reason to know!!

Thanks so much for the responses.

Girls can't compete before the year they turn 8 here. So for this season, the youngest are born in 2009.

In 2013, USA Gymnastics JO (Junior Olympic) Competitive Program underwent a "great Level Shift"
1. They combined Levels 1 and 2 into a new Level 1.
2. Each of the other compulsory levels shifted down 1 number (3 went to 2; 4 went to 3; 5 went to 4; and 6 went to 5). The first REQUIRED level used to be Level 5... so now it is Level 4.
3. They added a new optional Level 6, which can be competed or skipped. There were slight changes to Level 7 and Level 8.
4. So now, there are 5 compulsory levels and 5 optional levels. Some parts of Canada are also using this set-up.

A year later, Xcel was Nationalized. Prior to that, it was a regional program and before that there were a lot of different versions of the type of program (some were called Prep-Op, Prep-Opt, VAOP). Xcel is a 5 division (like levels, but technically called divisions) all optional program. Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Diamond are the 5 divisions.
1. Each division has a wide variety of allowable skills, so for example, some Xcel Gold routines are roughly the equivalent of Level 4 and others are roughly the equivalent of Level 6/7.
2. The first required division (if not transitioning from JO) is Silver.
3. It was designed to be a lower hours, less expensive, or more inclusive program so that ANYone that wanted to compete could. Some teams use it as intended. Some use it as a rec team (for those in rec classes who want to see what competition is like). Some use it as a "lesser" program for those they don't think are "good enough" or are "too old" for JO. Some use it for gymnasts that want to be able to do other activities. Some use it for those who are stuck in compulsories. Some use it as their only program so all gymnasts get optional routines from the start. Some use it as a way to bypass compulsories... particularly common in Region 8 that had a strong program prior to Nationalization.

Elite is Olympic level. Level 10 CAN have routines as hard as Elite, but do not have to.

Vault: front-handspring. (Level 4 and Level 5 HAVE to do this vault. Level 6 and Level 7 and Xcel Gold CAN do it for full start value.)
I was capable of doing a front handspring full twist (This can be competed in Level 6 and Level 7 and Xcel Gold and Platinum for full start value.)
, as well as a very sloppy tsuk (This can't be competed until Level 8 and Xcel Diamond)
https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/J.O. Code of Points/appndx03_level6_8vaultvalues_0916.pdf
Bars: Kip Tuck on, jump to HB, Kip, Back-hip circle, Straddle under-swing dismount with a 1/2 twist (Similar to Level 4. Can be competed in Xcel Silver and Xcel Gold.)
Floor: Ro-Bh-Bt (Level 5 along with FT and FHS stepout - FHS ... Also can be competed in Xcel Silver and up)
Ro-Bh-Bh (Level 4 along with FHS... Can be competed in Xcel Silver and up).
Beam: BWO-BWO (Can be competed in Level 6, but only 1 acro skill is required... and can be competed in Level 7 as long as there is an additional acro skill with flight ... also can be competed in Xcel Gold and up)
Cartwheel (Required in Level 4, Can be competed in Level 6... Can be competed in Xcel Bronze and up)
Gainer Dismount off the side of the beam (Can be competed in Level 6 and Level 7 and Level 8 and Xcel Silver and up)
Here is a Level 6-8 Cheat Sheet:
https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/J.O. Code of Points/appndx08_L68cheat_1221.pdf

Level 10 is different from Elite in that once you qualify elite you can no longer compete JO and the elite routines/skills are much harder than those required for level 10.

Level 10 is different from Elite in that once you qualify elite you can no longer compete JO and the elite routines/skills are much harder than those required for level 10.
You can compete in "Level 10 / Open" meets even if you are Elite... Just don't see a lot of that, especially not from International Elites / National Team members.

Okay so Canada doesn't sound like it has changed all that much. I remember never having compulsory routines - glad to see that hasn't changed.
I remember Pre-Competitive 1,2,3 (ages 6,7,8 respectively) then moving on to level 4 (invitational) or level 5 (provincial). And moved through the levels to level 10. I never knew what happened after lv.10 - but also didn't have a reason to know!!

Thanks so much for the responses.

I am pretty sure every province other than Quebec has adopted the USAG JO system with compulsory routines for 1-5 and then Optionals for level 6-10, with high performance being separate from this as Elite is in the USA.
Many provinces still have their own interclub sort of programs as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back