Off Topic It's getting to be that time of year. What do you like to make for "comfort food"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Deanna

Moderator/Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Although Im not big on the cold. Luckily in Arkansas it doesn't get below freezing for long. But, Im one of those that stays cold the whole winter and I don't thaw out until late spring, early summer. (and then I bake when its in the triple digits for the better part of 2 months..lol)

We have had a bit of a cool snap the past couple weeks. It will be cool for a couple days, then warm back up for a couple days...cool for a couple days, then warm back up for a couple days..(rinse and repeat..lol)

So, the onset of the cooler temps have me craving the comfort foods of winter.

Today I am making up a big ol' mess of pinto beans (cooked with a ham hock of course..lol), which we will have ham and cornbread with tonight. This works great as left overs. What doesn't get ate in a couple days I will portion out and freeze.

Tomorrow I'm going to make a double batch of Italian Wedding soup. I make my meat balls with ground turkey. I use a chicken stock/base. I have seen it done with a tomato or beef base. We prefer the chicken. The kids actually love this soup. And it's a way to get veggies in my son. (Kadee would live off of veggies and fruit alone if I let her..lol). I will give one of the batches to my elderly neighbors, as they love it, and it makes me feel good to give them something they like. This will be portioned out and frozen also after a couple days.

So, what are some of the things you like to cook in the winter for "comfort food"?

We don't get much in the way of cold weather here in Florida. It goes back and forth between warm and cool for a couple of months, with very few actual "cold" days. Every year I look forward to the first really chilly day so I can make chili, it's just way too hot any other time of year.

I guess it is cold here for about 6 months of the year, so we act the same all year around. We BBQ a lot, even when it is -30c. Comfort food would be a bar a chocolate!!! :D

Agreed Bog. Although I'm in Western Canada. The only month it actually feels like summer is July. Its amazing it hasn't snowed yet, its so unusual.
In the winter I love ice cream and slurpees. Slurpees are my favourite winter food (it is more of a drink though).. Am i the only one who does this?

I don't know if it can really be classified as 'comfort food' but my main go to is hot chocolate! hawaiigymnast I don't know how you eat cold foods in winter, I'm always freezing and the last thing I want is a cold drink!

This time of year I need apple cider, hot or cold. I'm from Michigan originally and apples taste like fall.

In the cold weather I do love soups and stews. Deanna, I may take your idea and make a pot of pinto beans on Sunday. My mom makes the best beans so I can only hope to get close.

I love to eat casseroles, particularly ones cooked in the slow cooker so the meat just falls apart! mmmm
Also love my roast dinners, and of course something hot for pudding, like spiced apple crumble and custard!
I like things like soup and risotto for lunches too.

I really like drinking chai latte at home, but at the gym it has to be hot chocolate!

I make soup constantly in the colder months. Variations on taco soup are a favorite, butternut squash, chicken noodle, chicken corn soup/chicken corn chowder, pretty much just throwing together what I have in the kitchen. But beans and lots of veggies are favorite additions. I'll portion out enough for a few days and then freeze the rest for a weeknight when things are just too crazy to cook anything fresh. When I buy chicken I usually get a whole bird so I can use the bones to make fresh broth and keep some in the fridge and some in the freezer for whenever I want soup. I'll also spice it up by having soup with a salad, sandwich, or some type of homemade bread/roll/biscuit.
On a rare occasion I'll treat myself to broccoli cheese soup or homemade mac and cheese, I love cheese so I need to keep myself from overdoing it too much! But a couple times in the winter won't hurt ;).
I also love pierogies with vegetables and sometimes fresh lamb sausage from my parents sheep and whatever I can throw together in the crockpot- pulled pork, BBQ chicken, chili. And baking with pumpkin and apples is absolutely essential this time of year. Fall foods are some of my favorites.

winter foods has to have mac and cheese with ham mixed in
I also do beef stew very yummy
anything pasta - lasagna, stuffed shells, manicotti
I crave roast pork dinner in the winter too.
Anything in the crock pot I love in the winter - the house just smells so good with what ever is simmering. God I'm thinking pot roast right now would be good for the weekend.

My favorite is tomato soup with grilled cheese - its soo good after being out in below freezing temps for hours shoveling.

Hot chocolate with marshmellow is a favorite too

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back