WAG It's that time of year, anyone know the NCAA contact information?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Midwestmommy

Proud Parent
To add to the ninth graders already verbally committed to Division 1 schools, more and more are being added who have yet to set foot in a sophomore high school math, science or language class. From earlier threads, it appears most coaches, parents and athletes alike think this is a bad idea. But they keep doing it because schools feel like they have to recruit this young to get top athletes. Recruiting rules are basically a joke, why have them when they are not working at all as itended?

Does anyone know the names of people at the NCAA-or elsewhere--to send letters to on either side of this topic? I know, I know, everyone says it doesn't make sense but it's not likely to change. But supposedly in this country we can push for our voices to be heard.

What I dislike the most about this is the silent trickle down effect on hundreds and hundres of little kids in terms of hours, injuries, pressure to get to Level 10 in 7th or 8th grade or you are "over the hill." And it makes the whole academic program piece of the Div 1 experience seem like kind of a joke, when that should probably be an important part of any college decision.

Dr. Hitt from UCF, he doesn't have a dog in this fight, as UCF doesn't have WAG/MAG, but he is very aggresive towards keeping recruiting on a level playing field. Though, many of these members are probably busy with the autonomy fight going on between the P5 and G5 FBS football.

I have often thought that it would make more sense to recruit gymnasts that were hitting level 10 as Sophomores and up because their bodies would be healthier (ideally) because they have taken less pounding getting to that point.

My understanding is that her school is K-12 and it is a somewhat common practice in small, private schools.

I agree with all of it. My dd has just started thinking about the college recruiting process. She is entering 9th grade this year. We were pleased to find out last week that her current #1 choice for college will not even look at gymnasts until summer after their Freshman year as she is working on L9/10 skills now. She was afraid that they would already be doing verbal commitments. She isn't looking at the top teams, but even the teams that don't generally make it to Regionals seem pretty competitive in terms of what they are looking for.

Reactions: NYG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back