Parents Izzy's Floor Music

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I agree Teamdad. I think the girls neeed to love their routines to perform well. After going through compulsories and having the hard work rewarded with optional routines they should feel as though it is a benefit not a punishment.

I can only imagine how you feel. Good luck with this. If you really want to find a choreographer I would post a new thread and you may get help. Have you talke to the coaches at the other club? They may be able to help with ideas.

My youngest is very strong minded and she sometimes just will not be convinced, but you know they'll go far with their determination

Ugh--I hope you get it worked out. I know we have a similar problem here--Beth has to keep her routine from last year and she really dislikes it. Sounds like your DD is more stubborn though :). Beth will do it, just to be able to compete--she wouldn't quit over the issue.

Let us know what the coaches say.

Thanks everyone. I have to admit that my simple male mind is no match for the complexities of the female psyche. Now which one of these knobs was I supposed to turn again?

teamdad-albums-level-5-team-2007-08-season-misc-picture2415-funny.jpg

Ugh! that's rough! I hope that Elizabeth and the coaches can find a way to work this one out. Good luck!

Oh TeamDad. This is all such upsetting news. Elizabeth is soooo talented, she needs to be able to show case her abilities in a floor routine she's proud of!!!

Have you discussed this with her coach & or the one doing all the girl's choreography? And as Bog said how about the other gym she was working out at? Could someone there "tweak it" for her?

If you are willing to go to a private choreographer, I think that might be your best option. Having someone independant of her gym would surely devise a more unique routine for her. Someone with fresh ideas & a different vision for Elizabeth & her style. That idea might re-energize her too.

Sorry that you guys are having to deal with this situation. Good luck!

Hi nwogm and gjm,

I just had a long conversation with her coach. She's great. She was Elizabeth's L4 coach and we are all very happy that they are together again. I'm trying to help them get on the same page and Elizabeth wants to compete as much as her coach wants her to have a routine she can be happy with. They are both getting a little frustrated though:(

I actually saw Elizabeth work through most of the routine after their first session. As a dad, I couldn't help but smile as even though it was late on a Saturday and the team girls had all gone home, there were several birthday parties and adult classes going on and everyone stopped to watch her. She really is a beautiful dancer.

I'm hoping for the best and will exhaust all options, but it'll still be ok even if it doesn't work out. The NYC ballet is doing their entire repertoire of classics this season and she could stay very busy performing if she decides to go that route. It's never dull around here, but sometimes I wish it was:) She's getting old enough to make her own decisions so it's really up to her to decide what she wants.

Her coach was very complimentary in that she seems to be the exception to the rule in that even though she misses alot of practice time, she is still able to compete at a high level.

Still hoping for the best possible outcome........

I'm hopping in late here but love the music choice! Hoping the choreography gets worked out and she has a wonderful season! I'm sure Elizabeth has choreographed this routine in her head many times. May it exceed anything she could have dreamed.....:)

Elizabeth must be an amazing dancer!
Good for you for supporting her in this, especially as dance is a strength for her and such an important part of her life, and floor is obviously a great showcase for dance talent. I can't wait to see what she and her choreographer create!
By the way (scared to use BTW, Bog :) ), love the picture of the knobs--ha ha--very funny!

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, the music is very exciting. I love it. In fact, I was picturing a floor routine in my mind while listening to it and it flowed really well -- with a dance segment through the slower section and all.

As for her disappointment with the choreography, I'm going to speculate her reason for feeling unhappy and her coaches for doing the routine the way they did. I say that based on what my 13yo has experienced. She is currently on her second year as a L7. She is now on the verge to move up to the next level sometime this season and yet her routine is still being tweaked (watered down) because of what's said below.

Between your daughter being a dancer and observing other optionals doing their routines for years, she probably aspire to have an overly exciting routine filled with exquisite dance moves and big gymnastics skills. However, as a new optional (or L7 in general), it's a much better idea to keep the routine simple. All you need to do is to fulfill the basic requirements. A complex routine can tire a gymnast out throughout leaving little room to catch breathes. Believe me, this will be reflected in her scores. I think it's important for her to know that.

Between your daughter being a dancer and observing other optionals doing their routines for years, she probably aspire to have an overly exciting routine filled with exquisite dance moves and big gymnastics skills. However, as a new optional (or L7 in general), it's a much better idea to keep the routine simple. All you need to do is to fulfill the basic requirements. A complex routine can tire a gymnast out throughout leaving little room to catch breathes. Believe me, this will be reflected in her scores. I think it's important for her to know that.

This is a very good point. I know our coaches keep routines at the minimum--any more and it's just more opportunities for judges to take deductions.

Hi, I didn't realize that this topic was still active. Thanks for the input. Elizabeth isn't into the big skills, it takes her a long time to feel comfortable with them and doesn't like to be pushed. In any case, it's really not about tumbling, it's more about that she feels like she picked an exciting piece of music and she wants her routine to be fun and a little funky. Right now, she thinks it's boring and isn't inspired to perform it. I spoke to her coach and since I don't have a dance background (more of a caveman) I suggested she speak to my wife who does have a background in dance/ballet. DW has called the coach 2x and she hasn't called back. I'm fine with that, but nothing has changed and the first meet is coming up. I'm not going to force Elizabeth to compete, she has to want to go. I spoke to her and she really wants to go but she's being pretty practical about it. She has other things going on and she doesn't want to go until she's happy with her routine and she feels like she has a chance to win with it. If she doesn't feel like she can win, there's no point in dragging everyone down to MD so we probably wont go.

At this point, I'm not going to get worked up about it, there's plenty of time till states and the first qualifier isn't until February. If it's not fixed by then, then the season's over which will be a darn shame. She's worked hard to get where she is and she should compete as that's what motivates her to keep working.

Fear is such a great motivational tool....apparently! :D IMHO that is.......:p[/quote]
Bog! You're beginning to sound like my DD's HC;)! LOL:p

Last edited:
TeamDad, I hope this all works out for Elizabeth. Something to remind her of, (that my DD had trouble wraping her head around last year) she's an optional now:D! This floor routine is not set in stone at any point. It's really just a jumping off point. DD's coach actually tweaked the routine after each meet depending on how it played out & if she saw a move that was causing deductions, etc. She even changed DD's whole ending the DAY before states last season! I was mad & thought it was a crazy thing to do...but DD is state floor champ now:D.

Elizabeth does need to feel a connection with her routine in order for the to own it. At least she has the music she loves & that to me is the BIGGEST thing, IMHO. If the basic routine is there(& I'm sure it is;)) it can be reworked, progress & blossom throughout the season. Optionals is a wonderful thing:D!

I think Elizabeth is underselling herself too. I can't wait for her to compete ANY routine to that music, I've seen her vids from prior levels, she's got talent, skill & poise. She's going to do well in optionals, don't let her doubt herself! The more she practices/competes the routine, maybe some new signature moves will develop. As others have said it's not about chucking the routine full of moves, it's about doing a few very WELL. I have complete faith in Elizabeth!

Are you sure you don't won't to go to MD??? I personally can't wait for her to compete optionals:D. I really think Elizabeth might be pleasantly surprised at how she does. I feel like a know your DD because she sounds a lot like mine...let's see...she's a perfectionist who won't do something unless it's done right(in her eyes);). Am I right??? That line of thinking can be a blessing & a curse at times:rolleyes:. Wonderful things can come of it. But sometimes getting there is harder than it has to be, due to such high expectations on DD's part. It's great to set the bar high & to have high aspirations, but don't let her set it so high she's derailing herself before she even starts. Good things can take time...especially in this sport!

Good luck to Elizabeth! It sounds to me like her coach is supportive & wants what's best for her too. Hope it all works out!

Hi GJM,

Unfortunately, I got a little too involved last season and I'm trying to only help when she wants to talk about something or asks me. I really enjoyed reading all your posts and especially the way your season ended (I'm a sucker for happy endings). I thought that our daughters are very similar in personality and we are now going through some of the same things (you gotta' just love the tweener years).

Personally, I think she needs to go and support her team and compete her routine so we can start the tweaking process. We have never missed a meet, except during her injury plagued L5 season, and have always been there to represent the team first.

I think there's alot on target here, for instance, when Elizabeth does school projects, she'll take a deduction for going overtime because there's always so much content she doesn't want to edit out. It's just her personality, always a perfectionist.

We've discussed the things that you mention and it keeps coming back to wanting a new routine that is more fun and a little bit funky. I 've learned through years of experience to listen to this as the end result will be worth the extra effort when dealing with perfectionists. OTOH, I know she can perform the routine that she has and make it look good and do well with it.

It's going to be a process to get to where I think the solution is, so I'm just going to be patient and try and help mediate so nobody's feeling get hurt and no damage is done with the relationships she has with her coaches.

It is indeed a marathon and not a sprint so I'm not inclined to rush into anything until we go through the entire process. She has 1hr. left to work with her coach that we have to schedule, and then it's going to be time to reevaluate and plot the next step which could involve finding another choreographer. The sooner they call us back, the sooner we can move forward.

Thanks for all of your input, it really is very helpful....and Bog, notice I refrained from overuse of the smiley icon:D

I don't have a dance background (more of a caveman) .
How do you know my kind doesn't and can't dance.

If it's not fixed by then, then the season's over which will be a darn shame. She's worked hard to get where she is and she should compete as that's what motivates her to keep working.
I hope it doesn't come to that. It's kind of silly to pass up gymnastics just because the floor choreography is not up to her expectation. If the unhappy situation is not like I speculated it to be, then maybe it makes sense to request for a new routine. That is something a few ten dollar bills (???) can fix.

Who knows all the things that are going on, not me, that's for sure:eek: I try and listen, get both sides and then see what I can do to help everyone get un-stuck.

Every year is a new adventure. I never know how it's going to turn out, but the first meet is usually a good indicator for me of what she needs to work on. I think she's talented and she definitely puts in a focused effort and makes alot of sacrifices in her personal life to make it all work so I want to do the same and I want her to get a routine that she's happy with.

If you really think it's silly, then you should try putting on a leotard and get up in front of a hundred strangers (not to even mention her peers who are always watching her), 2 of which are judges who will mark every flaw, and perform a routine that you don't have any confidence in.

When you get to L7, you pretty much have a good idea of who your competition is in your state and what you need to do to win. I respect her strength and courage to stand up for herself and I don't think it's silly. Her second meet (Brestyan's) is known to be a high level of competition and I know she wants to make a good showing. When I speak to her she isn't emotional about it, in fact, she's pretty matter of fact about the whole thing and she knows what she wants.

Heck, when you have a hard working competitive athlete with talent and a desire to win who is telling you that they would like a new routine that fits their concept of how they want to perform to the music that they selected then I think it's a good idea to listen even if they are just a kid. She spent three months selecting that music and she's not satisfied with a routine that was thrown together in a week...oh, big shocker there:D

**edit** sorry, rant off

Last edited by a moderator:
TeamDad, Thanks for your kind words. I also enjoy your posts & often think our DD's have many similar personalilty traits:D.

Now, I know Elizabeth is multi-talented, but I'm wondering... is "fun & funky" Elizabeth's favorite dance style? Does she prefer Hip-hop style to ballet? I know she has tremendous ballet talent & I just haven't seen any hip-hop style vids of her yet(I have no doubt she rocks!). My thinking here is, to some point playing to her strengths(& inner joy) are key. My DD's routine is fun & funky. She is a muscular build & flexiblity is one of her weaknesses. Therefore her & I are always in awe of flexible gymnast, like Elizabeth:p! But DD's fun routine "fits" her, it plays to her strengths & personality(fast/powerful/fun). A teammate tried to "steal" some of DD's moves, but they don't "work" for that girl or her routine, because they really don't fit that gymnast.

Just wondering if playing to Elizabeth's tremendous ballet talent is what her coach is trying to do with this routine??? I'm not saying you can't mesh the 2 styles, but it will be challenging, especially to the choreographer. It may take time & some fresh eyes, with fresh ideas & moves. My DD's routine has been tweaked by at least 3 different coaches( & some upper level gymnasts, hint--teenagers, especially cheerleaders, are good go to people for funky moves;)) since the orginal choreographer worked with DD. It's been an ongoing evolving routine.

I know I've admired Elizabeth's vids, specifically for the ballet grace & poise she brought to compulsory routines(seriously, she made them look like optional routines, because of her grace, lines & form!!!). Her talent is striking in those areas especially, VERY striking. That is what makes her stand out from the crowd to me, and to the judges IMHO. Now this is a totally outsiders point of view(from the limited vids I've seen here), but I envisioned a routine show casing her ballet grace & flexiblity. I would like to see her play up THOSE talents, because they are so uniquely wonderful(she is blessed with a gift for ballet!), JMHO. Playing to her gift of ballet will make the routine appear more effortless & natural, again JMHO. It may seem too "simple" to Elizabeth because she is just so darn good at it, so it almost seems too easy to her!!! But what is "easy" or "not special or exciting enough" to Elizabeth...others only wish they could do(1/2 as well):D. She's being too humble & doesn't realize how uniquely talented she is! I picture our DD's as Shawn & Nastia types, very different styles, but both wonderful! But I'm sure Elizabeth will find her own unique style & it will be amazing, just like her:D!!!

Yes, good things do take time(especially when perfectionist are involved!). I just hope Elizabeth isn't looking too far ahead & expecting her L7 routine to like that of an elite gymnast(I have a perfectionist & I know kind of how her mind works:p). Has she seen a L7 meet? I'm sure she's ready to rock L7 right now! I know my DD tends to jump too far ahead mentally & it really messes her up sometimes(not just in gymnastics). Her expectations for herself can be way too high & she stress herself out(waaaay too much!) trying to meet them. I constantly need to anchor her back into the present. I can't tell you how many times I've said to her "You are reading too much into this" or "You're making this much harder than it has to be". Just so she doesn't stress herself out too much & become overwhelmed. Sometimes I need to give her that "out", to relieve her own self induced pressure. So she can dial it back a bit on her own.

But it's a fine line of how much do I let her push herself (because the outcome is always impressive) vs. when do I need to pull her back( as to not let the stress get unhealthy). I can honestly say I'm always in awe of her...don't know where she came from because she's nothing like me:p,LOL! Hence my screen name...this is a journey my DD is taking me on. We are learning together & from each other. Hang in there TeamDad. Your are raising a wonderful DD, with a mind of her own...she's gonna blow us away when she's ready! I just hope she realizes how talented she is already:D!

Last edited:
TeamDad--Don't know if another view will help or not. I think Izzy has to understand that basically she is starting gymnastics all over again. Her compulsory years are over and now she begins her journey as an optional. I think she will be pleasantly surprised at how well this floor routine will score even without all the upgrades. Believe me, we've been down the road of floor routines being changed and yes it is a continual process. My gymmie and I are upset with her new floor routine because its not the music she loved and the choreographer doesn't love the music either(another coach picked the music). I think Izzy would love the routine----very dancy.

From what I've learned, L7 routines are kept fairly simple. The girls have basically 80 seconds to get 2-3 tumbling passess(2 are required, but many do 3), full turn and leap/jump in. The primary focus is to get those requirements done, done well and add a little choreo. There is no bonus in L7 and composition deductions don't come into play until L8. One thing you will learn about optionals is what you see a girl do at an early meet may not look anywhere near what she's doing at states. Optionals is more of a peak toward the end of the season.

Nobody can ever be certain a routine is a "winner." As we all know, judges can be fickle and what scores well at one meet, scores lower at another. I would encourage her to be with her team at the 1st meet, do the routine and get judge's feedback----then you may have more concrete ideas to work with. She is a gorgeous performer and it would be a such a shame to not even give this routine a try.

As an aside. Do you think its possible Izzy is forcing a decision between gym and dance? I know you said after this season, she would have to make a choice, but it almost sounds like she may be exploring that now with the thoughts of not competing unless the floor routine is redone/fixed. For a perfectionist kid(I've got one too), she may be feeling overwhelmed trying to be "perfect" in dance and gym. Just a mommy thought!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back