WAG Jaegers, tkatchevs and geingers...OH MY

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MinnieGymMom

Proud Parent
So my daughter, level 9 is starting to put release moves on the single bar with a coaches spot. She consistently catches her geingers and is begining to start those with out spot. She's working on thatcher drills and starting jaegers with a spot. It seems like a lot to have her be working two releases at the same time.
So heres my question for gymnasts, parents and coaches; Which of these did your gymnast learn first and did she focus on one before moving on to another?
Thanks!

Mine started training giengers but never got that one (probably more of a coaching issue) , moved on to a different gym and coach and was catching Tkatchevs within a week and never really missed once she figured it out. Also had a Jaeger in her routine at one point...both those releases stayed with her through NCAA and she never revisited the gienger. She had teammates that did those successfully but it wasn't part of her repertoire.

My daughter has a geinger. Took her a while to figure it out. Had a bad fall, and some fear issues as well as mental block. Catches them consistently now and has it connected to her blind full in competition. She's not really interested in learning another release, as she really doesn't need it since she is not pursuing elite.

Mine started learning the geinger. Took awhile. Would catch it but with no consisnancy.
Coach didn’t like how it looked so switched her to the jaeger. Started catching that in a week and was pretty consistent until she fractured her ankle. So we are in the come back stage now.
She will concentrate on the jaeger since she doesn’t really need another

Mine Started with tkachev and worked it for almost a year. She could catch it with a spot, but it never came together without the spot. Switched to the jeager, and was catching it fairly quickly but it wasn’t super consistent for about a year. Never tried the gienger I don’t think.

mine started with tkachev. caught once and never could catch again that summer... switched to jaeger and never caught.. switched back to tkachev and started to catch more consistently with spot but ran out of time to really work on it before season started.. hoping to finally get a single bar release this next summer... admittedly, she isn't a natural bar swinger so it's been tough going for her.

Tkatchev and Jaeger require a specific tap. I’ll usually drill them and when it’s summer, I’ll play with each briefly before choosing the direction to go with a specific kid. Other factors go into it. I may just teach a single bar release to show colleges and not really plan on competing it. A Jaeger requires a blind usually and if a kid is struggling with that, that means two skills to work on for example.

Is your daughter training elite? If she is successful and consistent with her geinger, I wonder why they are having her learn a second release? My daughter started with geingers which didn't look good, she may have done some thatchev drills too even earlier. After, coach decided the geingers weren't good, was switched to Jaegers which were successful. I think they looked better from the start. That is what she competes now.

I usually work two , that way you are covering bases. Currently the jeager is the most efficient release in JO. Because a front element is also required in a bar routine. This may change with the next code

Can someone post a pronunciation guide for all three of these release moves. In my head it is like this:
JING-er, YAY-ger, CHAH-kev, but I am not sure that that is right. And I hear them said different ways.

I thought it was hard G for Geinger, Yay-ger, and T-ka-chev. But I'm not an expert.

Can someone post a pronunciation guide for all three of these release moves. In my head it is like this:
JING-er, YAY-ger, CHAH-kev, but I am not sure that that is right. And I hear them said different ways.

So I looked it up myself. The way you say the names in German and Russian are:

GING-uhr

YAY-ger

KatCHOOF

Not sure that folks same them that way in Americanized English.

Alex started with a geinger and had that for a long time. Competed it a few times But sadly hit her face 10 times doing that skills...so thankfully it was finally pulled. She was poorly trained on it.
Then she learned her jager. Then shaposh and pak I think together. Then she started working Rays caught one but not working anymore.
Now she is doing her shoot half. They are getting rid of the pak because her pirouette suck and she loses .3 on each one.
So eventually she will do her shaposh and shoot half and jager. Then its only one pirouette rather then 2.
She is having issues with the shoot half as she is use to flipping on the pak.

Alex started with a geinger and had that for a long time. Competed it a few times But sadly hit her face 10 times doing that skills...so thankfully it was finally pulled. She was poorly trained on it.
Then she learned her jager. Then shaposh and pak I think together. Then she started working Rays caught one but not working anymore.
Now she is doing her shoot half. They are getting rid of the pak because her pirouette suck and she loses .3 on each one.
So eventually she will do her shaposh and shoot half and jager. Then its only one pirouette rather then 2.
She is having issues with the shoot half as she is use to flipping on the pak.
Just curious why she's working 3 release/bar changes since you only need 2 for L10 and NCAA :) She could get away with just the Shaposh and the Jaeger no? Start on the low bar, shaposh to high bar, there is no need for the shoot half.

Just curious why she's working 3 release/bar changes since you only need 2 for L10 and NCAA :) She could get away with just the Shaposh and the Jaeger no? Start on the low bar, shaposh to high bar, there is no need for the shoot half.
Two bar changes are required (need to go from low to high and high to low). Of the 3 releases, could have a 10 routine without the shaposh or without the Jaeger, but need the shoot over.

Actually the L10 requirements talk about flight, not bar changes (L9 is 2 bar changes)

Min. of 1 C-Flight
2nd diff. flight,min. B
Min. of C element w/ LA turn (not in mt/dmt)
Dmt - Min. of C

But I guess there are compositional deductions if you don't have 2 bar changes.

For NCAA it is a sepcial requirement:
3.1 UNEVEN BAR SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS (.20 each taken off Start Value).
One element may fulfill more than one Special Requirement, unless specified
a. Minimum of two (2) bar changes.
b. Two (2) flight elements, minimum of two (2) different C’s OR a D and B (not to include dismount).
c. One element with longitudinal axis (LA) turn, minimum of “C” (not to include dismount).
Note: The JO Compositional requirement of “2 changes of direction” DOES NOT APPLY to NCAA
d. “C” dismount. If the following modification occurs: “C” dismount immediately preceded by same two A or B elements = .10 deduction (not .20).

For JO level 10 it is a compositional deduction of a flat 0.2

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back