WAG JO Code changes 2018-2022

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tomtnt

Proud Parent
Anyone know what code changes will be taking place? I guess they are announcing the changes at USGA congress this June?

Reactions: sce
Code supposed to be out by the 1st. Heard not many changes except the 6/7 vault, but that's a biggie. Hoping there will be more clarification for level 8 composition.

The new code is (supposed) to start shipping out on May 1st. Some people have a sneak preview already; I have heard there are few changes outside of the big L6/L7 vault shakeup.

Two small changes I know about: split leap on beam is getting upgraded to a B & tour jete ring half on floor is getting upgraded to a D.

What is the L6/7 vault change? I apparently don't pay much attention to anything.

Or maybe it's just that I have been hearing of changes to these vault levels for years and it hasn't ever happen.

The new code is (supposed) to start shipping out on May 1st. Some people have a sneak preview already; I have heard there are few changes outside of the big L6/L7 vault shakeup.

Two small changes I know about: split leap on beam is getting upgraded to a B & tour jete ring half on floor is getting upgraded to a D.
This will save me from having this convo a few times every season - "your gymnast is missing a B", "but she has this, this...", "split leap is not a B, split jump is", "oh"

Timers... ha... definitely a huge disaster waiting to happen. First we fixed bad coaching by only having one vault attempt at L8... now we will fix bad coaching with timers that don't actually replicate the timing or rhythm of the vaults that they are timing. Yah... after they compete a year of un-timed timers they will definitely be ready to flip the vault.

So are we going to be landing on our back up high for these timers?

I waver between "it will be ok, it will work itself out" and "it will be a complete cluster****".

I'm terrified to see it in action. I don't want to know how many vaults I'm going to see where the gymnast ends up in the gap between the mat and the vault. Even worse would be landing on the mat and then falling into the gap. I predict the weakest vaulters will end up doing the tsuk timer (roundoff) because it will be the easiest of the three options. I don't know if they'll all have the same start value; I am guessing yes despite the fact that they shouldn't.

So are we going to be landing on our back up high for these timers?

No, landing on the feet and the judging ends then with the exception of deductions for a step back on FHS or step forward on tsuk/yuri timer (note: I do not have all the deduction details, I just have a 1 page summary I saw). Gymnast may then roll out or a coach may touch them to stop movement/keep them from death. I believe timers to the back was the preferred option among professional members surveyed about the change (because that's how the timer should be done) but ruled out due to liability reasons.

Timers... ha... definitely a huge disaster waiting to happen. First we fixed bad coaching by only having one vault attempt at L8... now we will fix bad coaching with timers that don't actually replicate the timing or rhythm of the vaults that they are timing. Yah... after they compete a year of un-timed timers they will definitely be ready to flip the vault.
Completely agree. The reality is there are not enough coaches out there capable of prociently teaching higher level vault. Having the kids compete timers, while still being coached by someone not truly capable of teaching the timer and resulting vault correctly is not going to fix that.

I'm terrified to see it in action. I don't want to know how many vaults I'm going to see where the gymnast ends up in the gap between the mat and the vault. Even worse would be landing on the mat and then falling into the gap. I predict the weakest vaulters will end up doing the tsuk timer (roundoff) because it will be the easiest of the three options. I don't know if they'll all have the same start value; I am guessing yes despite the fact that they shouldn't.

No, landing on the feet and the judging ends then with the exception of deductions for a step back on FHS or step forward on tsuk/yuri timer (note: I do not have all the deduction details, I just have a 1 page summary I saw). Gymnast may then roll out or a coach may touch them to stop movement/keep them from death. I believe timers to the back was the preferred option among professional members surveyed about the change (because that's how the timer should be done) but ruled out due to liability reasons.
I'm not as worried about the safety of them actually competing the timer vault as I am the false sense of security it may provide to coaches/gymnast/parents. That they will think the kids are ready to compete the next step because they have done timers for a couple years. Like JB said, a bad timer will only lead to bad (unsafe) vaults. Having kids compete timers does not teach coaches how to coach the vault.

Have you seen enough details to know if missing the feet equals a zero?

Is the FHS vault still going to be allowed in 7 in addition to the timers, or will it have a lower start value? And timers are for Level 6 also?

Is the FHS vault still going to be allowed in 7 in addition to the timers, or will it have a lower start value? And timers are for Level 6 also?
The timer for the front handspring will turn into a front handspring onto the mat stack to the height of the table, as a prep for front handspring tuck etc

Hey guys, don't you do timers at practice anyway? Or do you make your gymnasts to just flip the vault without doing any timers up to the mat stack at first? How is doing timers at practice a good thing and doing timers at competition a bad thing? I don't really get why you are so upset. I think that competing a front handspring vault for 3 years is silly, considering that maybe 5% of those kids will ever end up competing actual flipping front handspring vault. The majority of the kids will end up competing tsuks and yurchenkos.

We do timers at competitions and it works great. We have never had any issues and the kids are pretty comfortable at flipping vaults when they move up and start to do real flipping vaults.

Our vault progression goes like this:

level A: Straight jump
level B: Straight jump followed by kick to handstand flat back
level C: Handstand flat back
level D: Front handspring timer up to mat stack, without the table
level E: Front handspring, tsuk or yurchenko timer over the table up to the mat stack. You can land on your feet or back/stomach. If you land on your back/stomach the start value is always higher
level F: Any vault from the FIG CoP
level G: Any vault from the FIG CoP

And our elite path has these vaults:

Optional levels in the spring:

level 2: tsuk timer up to mat stack, without the table
level 3: front handspring, tsuk or yurchenko timer over the table up to mat stack. Start value is higher if you choose to do it to higher mats (30 cm above the table height)
level 4: any vault from the FIG CoP, flipping vaults will get a bonus
level 5: FIG rules

Compulsory levels in the fall:

gymnasts under 13 years old:
two vaults: front handspring over a table (110 cm) and yurchenko timer up to mat stack (110 cm)

gymnast over 13 years old:
two vaults: front handspring over the table (125 cm) and yurchenko timer up to mat stack (120 cm)

I'm not as worried about the safety of them actually competing the timer vault as I am the false sense of security it may provide to coaches/gymnast/parents. That they will think the kids are ready to compete the next step because they have done timers for a couple years. Like JB said, a bad timer will only lead to bad (unsafe) vaults. Having kids compete timers does not teach coaches how to coach the vault.

Have you seen enough details to know if missing the feet equals a zero?
I totally agree that a bad timer will not help anything and that there will be lots of bad timers, but I qualify that under reasons why I will still find judging L8 vault terrifying even with this change. This just adds a level of terrifying to L6/L7 vault. I wouldn't object if there wasn't the gap. I just predict seeing at least one injury a judging season from someone falling backwards into that gap or pinging off the front edge of the resi and falling awkwardly into the vault. I know the gap is there to allow room on the resi for a roll backwards from a more properly done vault, but yikes, unintended consequences.

I saw missing the feet as a -2.0 deduction. That is greater than the proposed -0.5 for landing between the vault and the resi/mat stack.

What I don't know but very much want to know is whether there is a deduction for body angle when the feet hit the mat stack. That is - is there a deduction for "over rotating" and coming closer to a real, to-the-back timer

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back