WAG JO Code changes 2018-2022

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A roll or a fall is not a Salto. They specifically say that somewhere, I believe. Also, judging supposedly stops when the feet touch the mat, so there shouldn’t even be a deduction for falling.
Ok, yes, I see it now on pg. 6. 8.c I read under “e” “no flipping” and assumed they meant a roll as well. Well thank God. Whew, voiding vaults is no fun.

Ok, so for L8 beam- you need four B acro skills to be up to level? Is that actually spelled out clearly in the up to level section?

Reactions: sce
If the yurchanko timer is this my daughter will be in heaven. She hates the tsuk but loves the yuchanko and has worked that timer for a couple months now.

I think that shows the timers? Timers in competitions have been used here for years. Landing on feet has the lowest SV, landing on feet then falling back the middle and immediately to back has the highest. Some levels will do something with a mat stack, some with a mat stack as high as the table, some just have a mini trampoline and do a salto, and some have the mat stack lower than the table

Reactions: sce
If the yurchanko timer is this my daughter will be in heaven. She hates the tsuk but loves the yuchanko and has worked that timer for a couple months now.
The 2nd vault is the yurchenko timer... but they are not required to fall to flatback.

And I guess some B dance element to not get a uneven distribution of elements, (or something like that) deduction
New this year is a "dance not up to level" deduction. For level 8, that is 2 Bs + 1 A for no deduction (which should be pretty straightforward, though some will probably take to -0.1 for 2 As + 1 B on beam).

I no longer see the balance between acro/dance difficulty deduction up to 0.2, though I still haven't read the floor/beam sections cover to cover yet so I could have missed it if it's not in the same section as before.

New this year is a "dance not up to level" deduction. For level 8, that is 2 Bs + 1 A for no deduction (which should be pretty straightforward, though some will probably take to -0.1 for 2 As + 1 B on beam).

I no longer see the balance between acro/dance difficulty deduction up to 0.2, though I still haven't read the floor/beam sections cover to cover yet so I could have missed it if it's not in the same section as before.
The balance deduction isnt in the ones listed on page 31 of the first update :)

And with a regular split leap now being a B, I think there will be fewer girls taking the dance up to level deduction.

Wait ... level 8 beam requires 4 A skills and 4 B skills. But to not get a "not up to level deduction," you need at least 3 B acro skills (two flight skills in the series and another stand-alone acro skill) plus 2 B dance skills? So, you actually need at least 5 B skills, not four.

I fundamentally dislike the idea of meeting the rules of the level and still being deducted for not being up-to-level. If you meet the rules of the level, by definition you should be up to level.

It’s just a deduction like any other, like pointed toes or a balance check. They are small deductions. It is just a way to differentiate the kids that are doing well executed routines with lots of difficulty versus those that are doing well executed routines with less difficulty. Someone doing a tick tock back walkover and a front pike dismount with no extra acro may in level 8 beam be able to meet the minimum difficulty requirement but they shouldn’t be able to score a 9.8 with that routine.

For most kids the up to difficulty deduction for a routine would be .1 or less. To get the .2 deduction you really need to be barely meeting the requirments or working the rules to do a very watered down routine. That is why they have added all this clarification and it is just got everybody talking about it. But there are lots of deductions in routines to be more worried about.

Angle deductions on pirouettes alone are brutal and when you get to level 9/10 connecting two things, or rather not connecting two things that were supposed to be connected, can be devestating. My dd lost 1.7 points for a fall once because of the cascade in requirement and connection fails that came from it. .1 in up to level isn’t that big a deal.

They want the kids to be pushing difficulty and not performing base burger routines. You can see that with the 10.1 start Value for the most difficult routines in level 10. They want the kids prepared to move up and the jumps from level 8 on get bigger and bigger and scarier and scarier. But, if a kid has a weak event and just needs to get through say beam or bars or whatever then they can take the .1 hit and move on.

Hope that helps :)

I understand that it is just a small deduction. But I think it is fundamentally wrong to deduction for "not up to level" when one meets all the requirements of the level. I get the whole deduction for not completing the skill with perfect form. And I also get the point of deducting for unbalanced routines that are all acro or all dance. But there is actually no way to have a four A and four B routine that does not get deducted for not up to level. So clearly the level should require 5 Bs and not four.

Those are minimum requirements. You must be able to do at least this to compete at this level. That’s it. and they are now giving clarification about what is actually expected to be competed at the level in order to win. It is what it is, difficulty is increasing and it won’t be fair to everyone. This may even be a precursor to changing the actual minimum requirements next go around. Who knows? This gives flexibility and time to get everybody on board and where they want them. Can you imagine if the code came out and the actual requirments had changed and now hundreds of kids planning to move up a level were now not meeting basic requirements and forced to repeat? I can’t even imagine the backlash. At least all those kids can compete the level and get to work on the upgrades they need to have to be a top scorer at that level.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back