WAG JO Code changes 2018-2022

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The dismount requirement for level 6 is a salto dismount of value A or greater.

This means a flyaway, but it could be tucked piked or laid out.

The expectation of an optional routine is a fluid routine with no breaks or stops or extra casts or swings. So doing the flyaway from tap swings would incur .3 each. Also I would think it would be difficult to tap swing out of a full cast handstand (I don’t know that but that swing seems hard to control, but maybe I just am having trouble seeing it) so likely there would be additional angle deductions for that handstand and/or deductions for whatever you have to do to slow it down. Also a flyaway from a tap swing will likely incur amplitude and or dynamics deductions as it won’t be as high or powerful as out of a CHS.

Leaving out the dismount all together is only a five tenth hit to the start value. Seems better to not do it at all than try to put together something else which would likely incur at least that much if no much more in deduction.

The flyaway is the gatekeeper to level 6. People underestimate the bars requirements and deductions for level 6. Between cast angles, rhythm, amplitude and dynamics, the deductions can really add up.

The flyaway is a simple skill but lots of kids are really scared to let go. My dd always said that it was scarier to let go from the CHS because you are moving much faster but that the skill is much easier to execute land once you get over that because there is more time in the air. Just gotta trust and go for it.

Leaving the dismount out entirely means losing the special requirement(0.5) and an additional no dismount deduction of 0.3 from start value. This is to distinguish the gymnast who does nothing from one who does a dismount, but it isn't difficult enough to fulfill the requirement(ie a level 6 or 7 doing an underswing or toe on to stand, or a level 9 doing a layout flyaway). The former should incur a larger deduction.

The "level 4" swing half turn dismount is the same as doing no dismount, since it is not an element in the JO Optional code. So will incur the 0.5+0.3. Doing tap swings into it will also incur extra swing deductions on 0.3 each, as others said.

The dismount requirement for level 6 is a salto dismount of value A or greater.

This means a flyaway, but it could be tucked piked or laid out.

The expectation of an optional routine is a fluid routine with no breaks or stops or extra casts or swings. So doing the flyaway from tap swings would incur .3 each. Also I would think it would be difficult to tap swing out of a full cast handstand (I don’t know that but that swing seems hard to control, but maybe I just am having trouble seeing it) so likely there would be additional angle deductions for that handstand and/or deductions for whatever you have to do to slow it down. Also a flyaway from a tap swing will likely incur amplitude and or dynamics deductions as it won’t be as high or powerful as out of a CHS.

Leaving out the dismount all together is only a five tenth hit to the start value. Seems better to not do it at all than try to put together something else which would likely incur at least that much if no much more in deduction.

The flyaway is the gatekeeper to level 6. People underestimate the bars requirements and deductions for level 6. Between cast angles, rhythm, amplitude and dynamics, the deductions can really add up.

The flyaway is a simple skill but lots of kids are really scared to let go. My dd always said that it was scarier to let go from the CHS because you are moving much faster but that the skill is much easier to execute land once you get over that because there is more time in the air. Just gotta trust and go for it.
Actually, its .5 for no SR and .3 for no dismount off the start value.

Level 6 had some changes this year. They upped the difficulty a little so that it wasn't so much easier than 5.
Level 6 SR:
1. One cast minimum of 45 degrees above horizontal.
2. Minimum of 1 bar change.
3. One 360 circling skill.
4. Salto dismount, minimum A-- there are actually a couple or A or B dismounts that come from a counter swing or from a clear hip or clear support to a salto. They just have to get out the code and read them all.

Actually, its .5 for no SR and .3 for no dismount off the start value.

Level 6 had some changes this year. They upped the difficulty a little so that it wasn't so much easier than 5.
Level 6 SR:
1. One cast minimum of 45 degrees above horizontal.
2. Minimum of 1 bar change.
3. One 360 circling skill.
4. Salto dismount, minimum A-- there are actually a couple or A or B dismounts that come from a counter swing or from a clear hip or clear support to a salto. They just have to get out the code and read them all.
but they still get the SR for the cast if it is at least above horizontal ... and is no longer deducted for angle as long as it hits the 45º (instead of HS).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back