WAG JO National Championships proposal.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

There was a thread about the meet being pushed back to a later date this year, but I can’t find it. I wanted to comment that I hope they aren’t keeping this change after 2019. I don’t know about the rest of the country, but this year’s date is the same as many high school graduations in our state. We are used to girls missing prom for JOs, but now they have to choose graduation or JOs, both of which are very important. I know one of our seniors qualified, and that is her graduation weekend. She should not have to choose between the two things. Any other regions/states graduate as early as we do? I hope they move the dates back to their original weekends next year.
Yes, one of my daughter’s teammates qualified and also has graduation this weekend. She ultimately chose to go to graduation. I am so sad to hear she had to make a choice and will miss her last opportunity for JO Nationals.

Yes, one of my daughter’s teammates qualified and also has graduation this weekend. She ultimately chose to go to graduation. I am so sad to hear she had to make a choice and will miss her last opportunity for JO Nationals.

High school graduations are different everywhere. There is no real way to avoid this. Our high school graduation is June 8th this year.

I know the earlier weekend was a big issue with AP exams
High school graduations are different everywhere. There is no real way to avoid this. Our high school graduation is June 8th this year.
i think some places are earlier than others. I never heard of a graduation conflict until this year. No high school has graduation Mothers Day weekend. I hope enough people report the conflict to make sure it’s changed back for next year. Missing prom is one thing, having to choose between JO Championships or graduation should not happen. Those older Senior age groups will be affected most.

I feel like in that thread people stated they had gymnasts missing prom/graduation/finals every year with the old date. I think no matter when it is, there'll be those kind of conflicts, unless you make it April or mid-June.
Mid/late June wouldn't work because a lot of districts go until that time, making finals and graduation an issue as well. Would need to be April or July.

Mid/late June wouldn't work because a lot of districts go until that time, making finals and graduation an issue as well. Would need to be April or July.

And honestly, you are always going to run into some conflict. A few of our high schools had prom in April.

I think it should vary every year and the location should go to a different region every year. That way no one area is getting the raw deal repeatedly. I know that sounds crazy though....

We had some AP exams on May 7th here.
I think APs are the same nationally every year, for two weeks--the middle weeks of May. My dd had to request to take the supplemental exam next week because her test was scheduled for tomorrow afternoon and we couldn't get a flight out except a red-eye, which is certainly not ideal nationals weekend. Definitely preferred having JO's mother's day weekend, the earlier the better. It's a LONG season. Also agree--please change locations--stuck in the mid-west states with EST time zones for 3 years straight is ridiculous. I hate to spend all that $$ traveling to similar locales. So not only do you not benefit from seeing different parts of the US, half the gymnasts have had to deal with time zone issues to a great disadvantage, missing school, etc. for the last 3 years at higher monetary cost as well. Do we complain to USAG? If so, can someone provide an email--I'll send it around.

I think some of the issue is scheduling Easterns/Westerns, Girls' Nationals, and Boys' Nationals. It is not just the girls that they have to consider. It is 3 weekends, possibly 4 if the boys go to Easterns/Westerns in the future too.

And the boys are out for a week for nationals. training on Wednesday and then competitions Thurs- Sun. L10s have 2....Friday and Sunday.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back