MAG JO pommel horse question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

sce

Proud Parent
Level 10 question. A judge told our coach that the B handstand dismount counts as a C on pommel. We are surprised we were just told this. Is it true?

The rule says "Circle or flair to handstand (includes dismount) will receive a “C” value. Special Exception: The “C” value will be awarded regardless of execution. There is no cap on execution deductions in the performance of the skill." I am not sure what that means for the B dismount, which I don't think of as including a circle. But I vaguely remember my son mentioning something along these lines, so maybe it does.

Reactions: sce
D's reply to me was....it is so complicated.

BUt yes, something along the lines of what profmom said. But, here's the kicker...there is no cap on execution errors....In most instances, it is not worth doing that dismount. There is no stick bonus, and I have seen kids get 0 credit for the skill, plus deductions on top of that. Usually if it involves pressing at all. That "swing" is key.

Yes, my son took it out of his routine for that reason, he wasn’t getting credit for it. I was kind of sad to see it go, because it looked good. What dismounts are most boys doing?

If a guy can do a Russian, that's probably the best bet. Flank dismounts are allowed but they are low value. Mine had a passable handstand before wrist surgery that he should be able to get back and clean up for next year. Around here, I see a lot of flanks at L8 and L9 and a mix of Russians/HS variants at L10.

Reactions: sce
Pretty sure he does the flank, it’s definitely not a Russian. I saw a lot of handstands st the beginning of the season, not so many at the end. All his JD/9 teammates pulled their handstands.
He says they are going to start working on it again after regionals.

D's reply to me was....it is so complicated.

BUt yes, something along the lines of what profmom said. But, here's the kicker...there is no cap on execution errors....In most instances, it is not worth doing that dismount. There is no stick bonus, and I have seen kids get 0 credit for the skill, plus deductions on top of that. Usually if it involves pressing at all. That "swing" is key.
Well it came up in the context of boys who were doing the c dismount. The judge did not say they were not getting credit, just that the b wound count as a c. Thanks though, all this folks it make more sense.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back