WAG JO to Xcel level transition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just double checking what I think is allowable.

We had a gymnast transfer from another gym. Last year she competed level 4 with limited success, she didn't get a move up score to move up to level 5. She moved to our gym at the beginning of the summer and has been thriving and picking up skills left and right. I was planning to have her compete Gold this season, but my upon discussion with the other coach after she returned for the summer we're thinking of putting her straight into Platinum.

I just want to double check that this is allowed - the Xcel code says previous experience in level 4 can move into platinum, but "previous experience" can just mean that she participated in a sanctioned competition, correct?

In the newest R&P, it says gymnasts can enter into Gold from Jo3 or 4, and enter into Platinum from Jo 5 or 6. She would need to do a meet of Gold and score a 31.00 AA to go Platinum.

2016-2017 R&P, pg 48.

Eeek! My daughter just go moved up from JO 4 to platinum. She competed level 4 last year. So what you are saying is that she needs to score out of JO5 or Xcel Gold first?!?!

Reactions: sce
Eeek! My daughter just go moved up from JO 4 to platinum. She competed level 4 last year. So what you are saying is that she needs to score out of JO5 or Xcel Gold first?!?!

Make sure her coaches read the newest updates from this summer. There are new entry to Xcel rules and mobility scores. Pretty sure she has to do gold or 5, but it's late and I'm not looking it up right now. [emoji4] Her coaches know where to find the updates at USAGym.org

So, what happened when they redid the conversion chart was that they fixed the "top end" problem... But they created a bottom end problem. JO4 has to score out of Gold or Compete L5 at a meet (whether or not they do well) to compete Platinum.

If the gym is willing to host an in-house score out meet (where scores are not posted online, just in case) or if there is a Judges Cup meet where gymnasts get feedback on their routines that she can compete at -held very early in the season, she would have a score in L5 ... As long as she had at least a 31 in L4 last year :). If not, have her score out of Gold at the meet.

If a gymnast has done a few level 5 invitational (not compulsory season) meets with only 3 events and one level 5 sanctioned USAG in-house meet (all events) with a mediocre (33-34) score, would she be required to do Platinum?

If a gymnast has done a few level 5 invitational (not compulsory season) meets with only 3 events and one level 5 sanctioned USAG in-house meet (all events) with a mediocre (33-34) score, would she be required to do Platinum?
First, a 33-34 at L5 is NOT mediocre. Many girls that score in that range at L5 can score 36+ at L6.

According to the National Head of the Xcel Program, as long as they do not compete the higher level after the state mandated "drop back" deadline, then they can go based on the level they competed at the previous State Meet. However, according to the Region 5 Xcel Chairperson, if they competed in a sanctioned meet at the higher level, they have to petition if they want to compete the lower division. The Petition (unless your Regional Xcel Chair has created a specific petition for these cases) is just an email to the SACC saying why the gymnast should compete the lower division.

Obviously, not everyone is on the same page, but I would be willing to bet that the NATIONAL Chairperson's information would be accurate (and most places probably won't bother to check anyways, lol).

Raenndrops see my post in the Xcel forum for more insight. Her last USAG state meet was back in level 3. Did a 4 state stream season and then a level 4 USAG sanctioned score out/in-house meet. Then the level 5 sanctioned score out/in-house meet but not state meet at 4 or 5. And has never done Xcel prior. It looks like Gold is the plan based on current skills and a loss of a skill recently. And I do appreciate you saying the 33-34 is not mediocre. I for one thought 5 was incredibly tough to score decent in, but I also see a lot of girls getting 36's and 37's at 5 where we are...but we are in Texas soooooooo.......:eek:

Not sure of answer, but just wanted to say that a 34-35 is not what I'd call "mediocre" in level 5 around me - that level is very harshly scored and a 34 is 2 points above what you need to qualify for states in my state. To me a kid who can get a 34 in L5 is competent on those skills to the point that they really shouldn't be in gold.

Not sure of answer, but just wanted to say that a 34-35 is not what I'd call "mediocre" in level 5 around me - that level is very harshly scored and a 34 is 2 points above what you need to qualify for states in my state. To me a kid who can get a 34 in L5 is competent on those skills to the point that they really shouldn't be in gold.

It was 33-34 not 34-35. And it was much closer to 33 than 34. And she's lost her bwo on beam and struggles with leap passes and angles. Based on what I am seeing as the Platinum skill requirements...she's not there. She only has a FHS vault with a high score of 8.7 (so not killing it). This is not a JO prodigy by any means. This is a struggling with fears 13 year old that is trying to find her place in the sport where she can feal some success.

It was 33-34 not 34-35. And it was much closer to 33 than 34. And she's lost her bwo on beam and struggles with leap passes and angles. Based on what I am seeing as the Platinum skill requirements...she's not there. She only has a FHS vault with a high score of 8.7 (so not killing it). This is not a JO prodigy by any means. This is a struggling with fears 13 year old that is trying to find her place in the sport where she can feal some success.
It really isn't that hard to learn a 1/2-1/2 for a lot of girls (or FHS on and 1/2 twist off). My YG learned the 1/2 On-Repulsion off and the 1/2-1/2 the same day, lol… and she is DEFINITELY not a prodigy.
And the FHS is only downgraded in Platinum by 0.2.
L6 does not require a BWO on beam if she has another acceptable acro (cartwheel). The beauty of L6 is that nothing on beam has to connect (only 1 acro, only 1 leap or jump, etc).

And around here a 34 is bottom third for level 5. I'd love to see her compete level 6...that was the initial plan. But she has lost her bwo on beam, has a fear of the cast flyaway, has not so pretty leap angles and is no where close to a cast to handstand. She's tried the half on but it is super awkward. She's not the most agile kid. All this being said, it's her Coach's call based on gym criteria. So I'm trying to trust in the decision being made for her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back