Parents JO Vacation/attendance policy?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

One hundred percent agre with this. If ur not looking for elite then yes taking time off is a problem. If not. Then it is fine
That’s what I’m getting at- your post makes it appear that every child competing should be more invested in becoming a successful, high level gymnast than trying to balance a successful Gymnastics career AND a childhood. There are different levels of teams - there are rec teams and more serious teams. Even more serious teams should have some flexibility for time off. Understanding that 99%of gymnasts will not become elite should be the eye opening fact that you shouldn’t give up everything, especially as a never competed compulsory gymnast. My DD is now training for L9. Until the last year, I had no idea how long she would be in this sport. She’s finally been in it long enough and is old enough (middle
School) that’s I know she can own her own goals. She would like to do college gym some day. I’m fine with that goal, now. When she was an 8 yr old, I knew the future was too far away for anything more than a goal of
becoming an optional gymnast. I think this sport is much more fulfilling when goals are broken down into smaller, manageable ideas. The future is too unpredictable.

T

thar is fine if u and ur gymnast is happy to be going through their levels as a fun sport. Unfortunately some more serious gyms who see their gymnasts going to elite levels as taking time
Off and losing muscle strength as a negative. This is why when placing ur dd into gymnastics u need to research what you are looking for. If ur looking for a fun competitive class which can only take ur dd to level 7 or 8 or a competitive team who can push u to succeed in a sport which is hard and dirty and takes massive effort to stay in

My DD is a L9. I’m well versed in the demands of the sport. She has fun but she also works her tail off and has dealt with her setbacks with grace. None of her setbacks by the way were a result of taking time off in the gym.

Ur job as a parent is to give ur child the most expedited u can however I am trying to talk about being an elite gymnast and having a 100 percent commitment to the sport and wanting to become an Olympic gymnast. Unfortunately u do not have time to take a month off training and unfortunately
Swimming around the pool is not the same as the skills and muscles used during training sessions. And as much as parents don’t want to admit. If u want ur child to succeed to the top in this sport. It has to become a massive commitment. If u want ur child to be the best of the best in elite u have to work ur *** off and gymnastics sometimes takes over our lives. Unfortunately to expect that u can take the time off and still complain that coaches who work their *** off to give ur gymnsts the best experience in the sport are holding ur gymnast back is not right. If coaches were doing that then they’d just kick the kid offf the team. Why waste their time. There is obviously a reason behind their techniques and asking other parents on a social platform that don’t understand the situation is so insignificant. Ask the coaches if u have any issues as i guarantee they have planed this scenario months in adavanced
MOST gymnasts aren’t going to elite, Div 1, or the Olympics. Could you imagine being thirty and looking back at giving up a lot of opportunities for L8/9/10? I can’t, honestly. And yes, my daughter conditions hard when she’s away from gym- I am certainly not referring to splashing around a pool. You can take your sport seriously on a non-elite level and still find balance. I think you and I may just have to agree to disagree. ‍♀️

All I’m trying to say is that yes it is a issue if ur dd is expecting to be an elite gymnast. But if she’s just in it to go through the levels and have fun that’s ok. But don’t be that parent who gets upset if another child is picked over urs for a team

All I’m trying to say is that yes it is a issue if ur dd is expecting to be an elite gymnast. But if she’s just in it to go through the levels and have fun that’s ok. But don’t be that parent who gets upset if another child is picked over urs for a team
The child in the OPs post is going into L4.. L4! Whatever the goals are, it’s way to early to let them own a family’s life.

Unfortunately some parents think their kid can go all the way to elite and the Olympics. But the thing is if a gym is firm of their gymnasts not taking time off during specific periods and you do. You can’t expect that gym or their coaches to be too happy
With you. The amount of time and effort put in to programming and training. For the parents to take away 2 weeks of training for them. Yeah the coaches won’t be too happy

That’s fine but if u want to be in a team and go away from what the coaches are expecting then either find another gym where the coaches aren’t upset by taking the hours they have worked out of the gymnast or understand that hard work goes into their training. Not just from the gymnast but from the coaches aswell

Op. If the gym says taking off the time you requested is an issue, then sadly it is indeed an issue. On her team the coaches who made those statements are the level setters. As I see it you have a few choices that you and your family should discuss.

Speak to the coaches and attempt to make a compromise.

Go on vacation and deal with the fallout.

Cancel or shorten Vacation.

Try a new gym.

We have a parent at the gym now who even though we have given months and months of notice ( it happens every year at the same time ) about a competition where we are putting all our gymnasts into to qualify for state. They said they are going away during that time and they now expect us to take that one gymnast to a competition to qualify so they can compete at state. So now because they are going away. They expect us to pay for two coaches and a judge to go to this competition just for one child because the time of the comp did not suit them and they are upset because they have to pay more money for one gymnast to compete at a competiton which we have no other gymnasts needing to compete at. All because they believe that even though they were away during the time everyone else knew it was the season for their competition that the gym now has to fork out the time money and effort to train this gymnast routines and compete her

They are already on a team. There is no more selection happening.

And your comments on just being in it to go through the levels and have fun. Um, much of the time it is not fun and I’m amazed at what my DD is willing to go through for her sport. Whether you are elite or not, it’s hard!

So if you want to go away on holidays that’s fine. But do not take it out on the coaches if they want to choose another gymnast for the team ur dd wants to be on. And do not be upset about a centres choice to have rules about taking time off in the gym. Gymnastics is a hard *** sport and no one other then gymnasts themselves can understand that. No training outside of the gym is the same no matter what you may think or how many programs your coaches give you.

If you want time off each year to travel. Either do it after your dds competitive season. If that’s the sport you want her in. Or take her out of the competitive side because ur coaches are right. I. The competitive sport of gymnastics if u want to succeed in the sport it is a lifestyle commitment. If it’s just for fun. Do what u and ur family want

If you have the attitude that it’s ok to go away for two weeks during competition season at level 4. Then have the same attitude during level 7-10. See how it affects ur dds training because after 48 years I think I know what will happen

I’m just trying to knock it on the butt before it gets worse. The op is asking if it is a problem for her to take her dd away from gymnastics each year. Or if the coaches should have a problem with it. Yes if ur dd is ending up In higher levels. The hours and time the coaches have put into her training and programming. It’s a massive kick in the *** if her family pulls her away each year during the season. So all I’m trying to say is I wouldn’t condone the fact of pulling ur dd out of training for that long during a competitive or skill season because yes. She will miss out

1. Most people are not going to take their kids out of a meet. The sport is too expensive and the competitions are the celebration of all the hard work.

2. Multiply #1 by 100 for every level your kid moves up starting with L7.

I’m just trying to knock it on the butt before it gets worse. The op is asking if it is a problem for her to take her dd away from gymnastics each year. Or if the coaches should have a problem with it. Yes if ur dd is ending up In higher levels. The hours and time the coaches have put into her training and programming. It’s a massive kick in the *** if her family pulls her away each year during the season. So all I’m trying to say is I wouldn’t condone the fact of pulling ur dd out of training for that long during a competitive or skill season because yes. She will miss out
She’s not even asking about missing time during meet seasons. We have always had to pay for meet seasons in complete, whether we compete all the meets or not. She is asking about a summer vacation- when schools are closed, competition is done, and families generally need a break.

And my DD has every intention- and the support of her coaches- of competing L8 next year even after her planned month off entirely and then four months of partial training at a different gym while she’s away in the fall. There are all kinds of ways that gymnastics can work for a kid and fit into their lives. You just need the right team for each kids style/needs..

She’s not even asking about missing time during meet seasons. We have always had to pay for meet seasons in complete, whether we compete all the meets or not. She is asking about a summer vacation- when schools are closed, competition is done, and families generally need a break.
That’s fine. If u want to go on holidays for 2.5 weeks do it. But don’t expect ur gymnast to have the ability they did to perform prior the them going on holidays. And if it’s during a certain time. Then don’t expect the coaches not to be upset

I was told that a 2.5 week vacation we booked this summer (my family lives in Europe and we aim to go every 2 years) may be a problem and prevent us from moving to JO as attendance is “strictly monitored” and summer practice is mandatory, also considering July is when all routines are learned. We are waiting to hear from the Director.

If summer practice is mandatory then you need to abide by the gyms rules. I’f you can’t do this then find another gym. You will be surprised by how little time off can affect a gymnasts skills. Muscle or flexibility.

Reactions: sce
My DD is a L9. I’m well versed in the demands of the sport. She has fun but she also works her tail off and has dealt with her setbacks with grace. None of her setbacks by the way were a result of taking time off in the gym.
Send me her scores

That’s fine. If u want to go on holidays for 2.5 weeks do it. But don’t expect ur gymnast to have the ability they did to perform prior the them going on holidays. And if it’s during a certain time. Then don’t expect the coaches not to be upset
Oye! Seriously, you’re quite one track. My DD will be away from her home gym for- let’s count em- 21 whole weeks between this moment and the next time she competes.. and I do expect it’ll turn out fine. I also know that her coaches support her other endeavors in life. For that, I’m immensely grateful. I also know that after her six weeks off last summer she had the best season of her life. No, we aren’t pushing any lofty goals here, but her experience IS valid. Since I’ve now helped to derail the original thread far more than I wanted to, I’m going to be done with this. You’re mind can obviously not be changed- but.. if you’re interested only in the very upper echelons of the sport, there have been some amazing posts lately about Simone and Mustafina coming back better than ever after extended training breaks and childbirth.

Oye! Seriously, you’re quite one track. My DD will be away from her home gym for- let’s count em- 21 whole weeks between this moment and the next time she competes.. and I do expect it’ll turn out fine. I also know that her coaches support her other endeavors in life. For that, I’m immensely grateful. I also know that after her six weeks off last summer she had the best season of her life. No, we aren’t pushing any lofty goals here, but her experience IS valid. Since I’ve now helped to derail the original thread far more than I wanted to, I’m going to be done with this. You’re mind can obviously not be changed- but.. if you’re interested only in the very upper echelons of the sport, there have been some amazing posts lately about Simone and Mustafina coming back better than ever after extended training breaks and childbirth.
Please send me her scores when you get them because after 48 years of experience and not one but two centres that have been thriving I would be interested to see the one. Wait no second. Time I have been wrong

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back