Parents JO Vacation/attendance policy?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

VIG

Proud Parent
We are at a gym that is a great fit for us: location, community, hours, price, style.
My 8yo did a year of XB following by XS and now looking to move to JO4.
I was told that a 2.5 week vacation we booked this summer (my family lives in Europe and we aim to go every 2 years) may be a problem and prevent us from moving to JO as attendance is “strictly monitored” and summer practice is mandatory, also considering July is when all routines are learned. We are waiting to hear from the Director.
Question: is this common to have such a strict vacation/attendance policy? Should a 2.5 week vacation in July really affect placement?
We are not talking about an elite program.
I am just a bit disheartened (sad, quite honestly!) and frustrated by the reaction when I mentioned the vacation after we had been given a thumbs up about moving to level 4.
The alternative is to look into switching gyms as we’d like to enter JO now but that’s not the first choice.
Would love some feedback or guidance on whether it’s ok for me to feel a bit thrown off by this reminder of policy or whether it’s common that full attendance is expected at all times.

It all depends on the gym, but I have heard of things like that.
At our gym, we get July off (off the week of the 4th ... then there are 2 weeks of rec camp that team can come, if they choose - they can be junior camp counselors OR workout on the open event ... then the week after that is "fair week" - fair is across the street and some people park in our lot... and in the drop off lane, so no gym then).
We also deal with vacations when they happen, whether they are a week or a month.

In our experience, rules like this are pretty common. It’s never stopped my DD from missing a month every summer. We’ve been told missing a week in the summer has the effect of missing two. So missing a month always puts my DD two months behind. Since we don’t believe in behind when in reference to gymnastics, we just let her do her summer things regardless. Some gyms/coaches have definitely made her life harder than others over this, and it has probably slowed her progress- but, she’ll be grown some day and have some truly amazing summer memories to look back on. We are all ok with this.

It is true that missing that much of gym is missing twice as much. As your muscles and body is not being used. What about families of gymnasts who abide by these “rules” and who don’t miss half a months worth of training. What happens if ur child gets chosen to compete a level compared to the gymnast who has worked in the gym during that time. I mean there are so many scenarios where parents can get upset. Either ur side or a gymnasts side who doesn’t get chosen. If ur going away during competition season and the gymnasts are learning the levels routines and skills. And then ur dd comes back and ur upset by the fact that they have spent 2 weeks learning the routines and ur dd missed out.

unfortunately if u are looking at ur dd in the sport of gymnastics as a higher level situation. there’s minimal time to go away during competition season as even two weeks takes a toll on their skill and muscle memory. Unfortunately with the sport that’s just the way it is. Gymnastics is a full time sport. With the skill. Discipline. Muscles and eberything else needed for the sport. Especially in the higher levels. Time off should be planned for after season and not during skill learning or competition season

So, we have no policy, per se, but the coach will say things like that. He will tell the parents that he has no problem with the child being gone, but it may affect the level they compete. This is not really a punishment, but typically it is just because with that amount of time off, they are just not ready for that next level.

Our gym has an attendance policy but it’s used as a guide for move ups and privates. The goal is at least 80% attendance throughout the season (year). Our coach says he looks at attendance when he’s trying to decide placement for the next season. If a kid is missing 30% of the time, his projected level for placement will have to take into account that this particular kid more than likely won’t be at the gym training as much as the average child and might not be capable of being ready for competition. He also will not allow gymnasts privates if they aren’t attending practice. Those are used for someone with a specific issue that they need extra help to work on in addition to normal training schedule. He will allow privates leading into big meets to help refine routines if asked, barring the attendance is met. We have learned to try to schedule vacation during the one week the gym is closed each summer. It didn’t work this year with our schedules so my DD will miss 10 days in June and another week later in July. Coach was fine with it for my particular child because he felt she was ahead of where she needed to be and the time off is good to prevent burn out.

Reactions: sce
Like MILgymFAM I’m not a fan of “behind”, they are on their own path.

And this always gets me a little cranky because what if they were injured and out months? They wouldn’t “toss” them.

We take our vacations and long weekends. Makes the coach cranky sometimes, but she doesn’t stay cranky forever :D

I just don’t see my kid as a grown up looking back on her childhood going well missing those few days of L2, L3, L4, L5, L7 and L8 were worth not going to Hawaii, Disney, DC, Asia, the West Coast, the beach, Boston, NYC......

I’m pretty sure it will be the opposite.

Skill wise, she has the skills to compete the level she is placed at. It is what it is. and I know for instance last season when she stayed at L5/6 when the rest of her group went to L7 it wasn’t because we went to the beach for a week. She caught up to her group this year and scored better at States. All without perfect attendance.

Perfect attendance means you genetically lucky in the health department and likely missing out on other things when it comes to sports.

Like MILgymFAM I’m not a fan of “behind”, they are on their own path.

And this always gets me a little cranky because what if they were injured and out months? They wouldn’t “toss” them.

We take our vacations and long weekends. Makes the coach cranky sometimes, but she doesn’t stay cranky forever :D

I just don’t see my kid as a grown up looking back on her childhood going well missing those few days of L2, L3, L4, L5, L7 and L8 were worth not going to Hawaii, Disney, DC, Asia, the West Coast, the beach, Boston, NYC......

I’m pretty sure it will be the opposite.

Skill wise, she has the skills to compete the level she is placed at. It is what it is.

What happens if a gymnast who takes not taking time off seriously gets to be on a team. Where the coaches choose that gymnast over urs because they have been at every session and worked their heart out. Even though ur gymnast has the skills. That gymnast gets picked. Would you get upset.

What happens if a gymnast who takes not taking time off seriously gets to be on a team. Where the coaches choose that gymnast over urs because they have been at every session and worked their heart out. Even though ur gymnast has the skills. That gymnast gets picked. Would you get upset.
Picked
For what exactly? Generally kids are placed where they belong, and it’s not been our experience that someone is sitting there with an empty list with x number of slots per level. If five girls are ready for L9, great. If it’s two, okay. And if you’re ready to compete you compete. Girls on a team aren’t (or shouldn’t be) competing against each other for placement within the team. What a damaging environment that would be. As for kids who don’t show up and work getting ahead anyway? That’s just the way it is. My DDs have a former teammate who slacked off more than any other kid we’ve ever met, and who showed up when it pleased them. Still on the national team. Still competing (well) internationally. Some people really do just have it like that. Can’t really hold it against them because your kid can’t take a break- it’s not their fault and it’s not their race.

Picked
For what exactly? Generally kids are placed where they belong, and it’s not been our experience that someone is sitting there with an empty list with x number of slots per level. If five girls are ready for L9, great. If it’s two, okay. And if you’re ready to compete you compete. Girls on a team aren’t (or shouldn’t be) competing against each other for placement within the team. What a damaging environment that would be. As for kids who don’t show up and work getting ahead anyway? That’s just the way it is. My DDs have a former teammate who slacked off more than any other kid we’ve ever met, and who showed up when it pleased them. Still on the national team. Still competing (well) internationally. Some people really do just have it like that. Can’t really hold it against them because your kid can’t take a break- it’s not their fault and it’s not their race.
All I am trying to say is that these parents are saying that what is the bad thing about taking their kids out of gymnastics for 2.5 weeks. But hey are the first to complain about a gymnast that is picked
Over their child who may not have to same skllls
As their dd. But who have been training 24:7 and not taking time off gymnastics for holidays during competition season. I’m not saying that it is s negative thing. All I am trying to say with this post is that if u make a conscious decision to take your dd away from gymnastics for over 2 weeks then you need to expect ur dd to loose muscle memory and to not be upset if a gymnast is chosen for a team over ur gymnast if the coaches are aware that u are going to take ur dd away from
Gymnastics 2 weeks didn’t a competition or skill season for them to have a holiday. Unfortunately. That is just the way it is with gymnastics. You can’t expect to take ur child away from the sport and for all the gymnasts who continue to uptrain their skills during that time and who blatantly show commitment to not be chosen from coaches over it who even if they have the skills. It annoys me so much with parents who think that it is ok. These coaches Have taken so many hours creating programs for their gymnasts to train and train them. And then for the parents to take them away from the training hours during a skill or competition season and Say that there upset by how annoyed the coaches are. Ur coach has taken hours out of their day to create a program for your child to compete and Learn so they can achieve the best possible outcome from a sport that is literally the hardest sport to be consistent in. To then just go away on holiday during such a significant time. Yeah the coaches may not want to put that much effort in ur child if they no u will be going away during the same time each year when there is another gymnast which understands this

It’s not a competition between my DD and her teammates. I’m not concerned with the levels or progress of her teammates. There are so many variables regarding when a kid is ready to move up with natural talent being the primary factor. Injuries and attendance obviously influence where a kid is in training but will affect kids differently. Some can miss a month due to a vacation or injury and come back with ease while others take much longer. Suzy may take a few weeks off for a vacation and it’s really between Suzy, her parents and the coach to determine what that means for her training. If all agree on how the time out of the gym may affect her then who cares...the last person who should care is a teammate or another parent.

My family would not fit in at a gym that had a strict attendence policy. With that said we do try to travel during the weeks that the gym is closed but this isn’t always possible because of work schedules or our son’s sport schedule so we take more long weekend trips. We know the realities of what missed time might mean and are ok with it. It’s a balance between the needs of the family vs the needs of my athlete DD.

All I am trying to say is that these parents are saying that what is the bad thing about taking their kids out of gymnastics for 2.5 weeks. But hey are the first to complain about a gymnast that is picked
As their dd. But who have been training 24:7 and not taking time off gymnastics for holidays during competition season. I’m not saying that it is s negative thing. All I am trying to say with this post is that if u make a conscious decision to take your dd away from gymnastics for over 2 weeks then you need to expect ur dd to loose muscle memory and to not be upset if a gymnast is chosen for a team over ur gymnast if the coaches are aware that u are going to take ur dd away from
Gymnastics 2 weeks didn’t a competition or skill season for them to have a holiday. Unfortunately. That is just the way it is with gymnastics. You can’t expect to take ur child away from the sport and for all the gymnasts who continue to uptrain their skills during that time and who blatantly show commitment to not be chosen from coaches over it who even if they have the skills. It annoys me so much with parents who think that it is ok. These coaches Have taken so many hours creating programs for their gymnasts to train and train them. And then for the parents to take them away from the training hours during a skill or competition season and Say that there upset by how annoyed the coaches are. Ur coach has taken hours out of their day to create a program for your child to compete and Learn so they can achieve the best possible outcome from a sport that is literally the hardest sport to be consistent in. To then just go away on holiday during such a significant time. Yeah the coaches may not want to put that much effort in ur child if they no u will be going away during the same time each year when there is another gymnast which understands this
Meh. My coach is doing their job. They’re even paid for it. My job is to get my kid to adulthood in the best way I know how. That best way- for me- is a childhood filled with experiences. Giving up experiences for gymnastics is the most short-sighted thing I can think of. You keep talking about girls being picked for teams- aren’t they all already picked for the team? No one bats at eye at rec girls going on vacation, so I’m assuming we are talking about girls already on teams. And yes, I would take offense if my child was held back *just because she missed time*. Not because her skills are lacking, her attitude is lacking, or her mental state isn’t there. If all three of those things are present, I expect the coaches to treat my kid like everyone else. Now- will those things all be present with an extended break? Maybe, maybe not. My kid has been bumped down two levels for missing a month and she has had the experience of missing 6 weeks (yup, in a row!) and coming back as ready as ever- I would actually argue more ready than ever. Also, and I can only speak for my DD here, her muscles are never ignored while away from gym. Whether traveling, at camp, or vacationing, I would wager she conditions more while she’s away than she does in gym.

My gym thinks it's important for kids to have a life outside of gymnastics and family vacations are encouraged. The only time attendance is enforced is the week before a meet. If you're not there to practice, you don't compete (unless sick or other extenuating circumstances).

I do understand that there are gyms that not have an issue about time away. All I am trying to say that is with this sport time off is a massive deal. Makybe not In the lower levels but as u go
Up the levels one week off can mean two weeks of muscle memory you have lost and if is gym is strict on this it is only to benefit your gymnast. I know a lot of parents who think it is ok to take their gymnast out of training during skill and competition season each year. However they are the first ones to be annoyed of their dd is held back a level because their coaches believe they are not ready. I find it hard to believe that while away on holiday a gymnast can train and use their muscles as much as during training as I have read within this post. Some parents put their gymnast through competitive gymnastics for fun and for the friends and skills etc. some parents put their children through competitive gymnastics to get to level 10 and even college gymnastics or higher.

All I am trying to say is that if you are posting this as a post to be saying u go away during the year each year for family reasons and do not take into consideration ur gymnasts calendar but want your gymnast to be an elite gymnast then you need to look into what time to be going away more. Because if u are looking at ur dd to be an elite gymnast and expect it to be ok for her to go away for 2.5 weeks during a skip or competitive season then unfortunately ur dd will fall behind. At least in an elite time. If it is for rec or for fun or just as a sport for her to do while she is young the. Go for it. B

Is your gym a strict and toxic place? This may be surprising to you but many coaches acknowledge the realities of life (that families may travel, kids may go to summer camp and injuries) and work with the athlete.

Finding the balance between Gymnastics and living is the hardest thing in this sport. Because there truly is no off season, you HAVE to miss something “important” at some point unless you truly are willing to make sure your child’s entire childhood to only focused on gym. My DD lives and breathes for gym and sometimes isn’t sure missing is in her best interest. Sometimes I’m willing to talk to her coach and see if her concerns are valid, other times trips are a non-negotiable issue. Family vacation this summer was one. We are going with a large group. Her gymnastics was not going to the focus that 20 other people were going to plan around. She’s our child, we will MAKE her go to the beach with us (how dare we!). And my experience is most gymnast are crazy active people so the successful ones aren’t normally laying around for too long before their desire to be active gets to them. I think they’re just wired that way. How else do they do a full day of school, train for 4 hours and and do homework, multiple days a week? They have energy upon energy!

Meh. My coach is doing their job. They’re even paid for it. My job is to get my kid to adulthood in the best way I know how. That best way- for me- is a childhood filled with experiences. Giving up experiences for gymnastics is the most short-sighted thing I can think of. You keep talking about girls being picked for teams- aren’t they all already picked for the team? No one bats at eye at rec girls going on vacation, so I’m assuming we are talking about girls already on teams. And yes, I would take offense if my child was held back *just because she missed time*. Not because her skills are lacking, her attitude is lacking, or her mental state isn’t there. If all three of those things are present, I expect the coaches to treat my kid like everyone else. Now- will those things all be present with an extended break? Maybe, maybe not. My kid has been bumped down two levels for missing a month and she has had the experience of missing 6 weeks (yup, in a row!) and coming back as ready as ever- I would actually argue more ready than ever. Also, and I can only speak for my DD here, her muscles are never ignored while away from gym. Whether traveling, at camp, or vacationing, I would wager she conditions more while she’s away than she does in gym.
Ur job as a parent is to give ur child the most expedited u can however I am trying to talk about being an elite gymnast and having a 100 percent commitment to the sport and wanting to become an Olympic gymnast. Unfortunately u do not have time to take a month off training and unfortunately
Swimming around the pool is not the same as the skills and muscles used during training sessions. And as much as parents don’t want to admit. If u want ur child to succeed to the top in this sport. It has to become a massive commitment. If u want ur child to be the best of the best in elite u have to work ur *** off and gymnastics sometimes takes over our lives. Unfortunately to expect that u can take the time off and still complain that coaches who work their *** off to give ur gymnsts the best experience in the sport are holding ur gymnast back is not right. If coaches were doing that then they’d just kick the kid offf the team. Why waste their time. There is obviously a reason behind their techniques and asking other parents on a social platform that don’t understand the situation is so insignificant. Ask the coaches if u have any issues as i guarantee they have planed this scenario months in adavanced

Realistic goals should be the driving factor. A kid that has never competed JO before that has dreams of being an elite gymnast needs a parent with realistic goals to help ensure a fulfilling childhood. The actual child should be the one with the goals - not the parent. I think any higher level, elite path gymnast will have a different take on Gymnastics training BUT the large majority are not on that path and should not be denied a childhood.

T
Is your gym a strict and toxic place? This may be surprising to you but many coaches acknowledge the realities of life (that families may travel, kids may go to summer camp and injuries) and work with the athlete.
thar is fine if u and ur gymnast is happy to be going through their levels as a fun sport. Unfortunately some more serious gyms who see their gymnasts going to elite levels as taking time
Off and losing muscle strength as a negative. This is why when placing ur dd into gymnastics u need to research what you are looking for. If ur looking for a fun competitive class which can only take ur dd to level 7 or 8 or a competitive team who can push u to succeed in a sport which is hard and dirty and takes massive effort to stay in

Realistic goals should be the driving factor. A kid that has never competed JO before that has dreams of being an elite gymnast needs a parent with realistic goals to help ensure a fulfilling childhood. The actual child should be the one with the goals - not the parent. I think any higher level, elite path gymnast will have a different take on Gymnastics training BUT the large majority are not on that path and should not be denied a childhood.
One hundred percent agre with this. If ur not looking for elite then yes taking time off is a problem. If not. Then it is fine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back