Parents Joining team

• Thread starter littlekateskate
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

littlekateskate

When your children first joined the team were they invited or did you inquire about it?

At our gym you have to be invited. You can ask about a tryout for your child. Good luck!:)

All the gyms we have been at team was by invitation only.

I think it is usually by invitation, though it varies by gym. My DD did try-outs but that was because we were changing gyms. Our gym also does try-outs for girls who are just starting. However, I would definitely let the coaches know your daughter is interested in being on the team. And it wouldn't hurt to ask how it works at your gym.

Our gym is invite as well but I know you can ask for an evaluation. I would see that as most useful if you are moving to a new gym and they do not know your child. Usually, the coaches are watching the recreation classes for potential gymnasts and if your child has "it" they ask you to join and there is nothing more you need to do. I know some gyms use the open tryout method but that seems to be less used.

My only caution would be, if you ask for an evaluation, this "could" set the child up for a face-to-face dissapointment. Just be sure the child has the personality to be okay with that. Also, I know that they watch physical skills but they also tend to look for a type of mentality. Kids who are self motivated or who look like they are so happy jumping around like they just can't stop, the ability to follow careful directions, are a few early signs of kids that would do well on team. Skills can be taught, personality can't. I hope that makes sense!

Our gym is invite as well but I know you can ask for an evaluation. I would see that as most useful if you are moving to a new gym and they do not know your child. Usually, the coaches are watching the recreation classes for potential gymnasts and if your child has "it" they ask you to join and there is nothing more you need to do. I know some gyms use the open tryout method but that seems to be less used.

My only caution would be, if you ask for an evaluation, this "could" set the child up for a face-to-face dissapointment. Just be sure the child has the personality to be okay with that. Also, I know that they watch physical skills but they also tend to look for a type of mentality. Kids who are self motivated or who look like they are so happy jumping around like they just can't stop, the ability to follow careful directions, are a few early signs of kids that would do well on team. Skills can be taught, personality can't. I hope that makes sense!

That's very true. Often coaches look for more than just physical ability. I think if you were to talk with the coach, that would help. You could let the coach know that your DD is interested and the coach could let you know if she is a candidate and why or why not. The coach may tell you that she's not mature enough yet or something, or the coach may just not realize that she's interested or that you're willing to let her do it.

Our gym was invite too, usually following pre-team which was also invite. However, I agree with others that you can also request an evaluation. We've had other girls coming from other gyms and they need to find out exactly where to place them by skill. I know our gym doesn't turn girls away, but others have had problems with teams being "closed" and only have a certain amount of spots.

I would mention to the coach that she is interested in doing and learning more and then ask what other classes they may have that would give her more time and instruction. Many gyms have their own pre-team programs and many of those are by invite only. I know your dd is just a beginner, so don't be upset if they want her to do several more sessions in their rec program before getting involved in a team track.

When my gymmie started in pre-team, it was by invite only. I do agree with the other posters that many coaches look at the whole child---not just skills. Some are ready for a more intense program at an earlier age than others. Some need to develop more skills. Keep the communication open and see where it takes her.

Invite. If they see someone with the skills in the rec program they will invite them to compete or come to preteam. If you are new they will do a eval to see what level you should be.

Invite only at our gym as well. Here's an interesting story about how we stumbled, or should I say "tumbled" (LOL) into gymnastics:

My dd was taking a tumbling class at the gym to improve her cheerleading tumbling and the coach noticed that she was very strong on her floor skills and invited her to be on pre-team. I told her that we had to wait till cheer season was over (it was only February and we still had like 3 Nationals left). I also wasn't sure that dd would like it or if she was even interested. So dd took an additional class there that worked on the other events and she fell in love with it! Right after cheer season ended, she joined pre-team and then at the end of May she was moved up to Level 4. And hasn't looked back since!

Last edited:
At our gym it is a natural progression, beginner to intermediate, to advanced to Preteam to Level 4 then finally Level 5 and competition.

Now, you can only compete if you have all your skills and are evaluated or asked to compete.

We do have some girls that are Level 5's that are non competitive.

At our gym you have to be invited to Pre-team. If you move to the gym from somewhere else you will be evaluated by one of the coaches and placed in the proper group. Also, we have "try outs" at the end of each session for Rec kids to properly move them into the next class or group.

Ours does try-outs once a year for anyone interested, but also invites as they see fit. My oldest tried out and made L3, my middle was invited to join the L2 team but chose not to. Says "Maybe next year, Mom!"

My daughter was invited to be on the preteam after the head coach got to know her when she was in the preschool class when she was 6 so she was kind of pushed fairly quickly in to the team a year later at 7 she never went through the levels and started competing as a level 4 after preteam. I think there is another route to get to the team start at level 1 work their way to level 4 then have to go to devo before starting team. I think some of these girls start competition at level 5 as opposed to 4, this route usually takes a couple of years and the girls are older when they start competing. I think there are advantages to the longer route having had my daughter go the fast route the older girls are more prepared to compete they also seem to be able to handle the pressures of competing better. Of the 7 girls who started out with my daughter on the fast track at a early age only my daughter and one other girl is still competing with her a year later. So I would not rush your daughter to be on team before she is physically and mentally ready, it is a really tough sport.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back