WAG Joining Xcel - Questions about difficulty levels and allowable skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi just about a year ago I was a level 8 about to be level 9 gymnast and then decided to quit due to stress and most likely burn out. Now almost a year later I am dying to go back and I am planning on going into Xcel Diamond. I have been able to retain all my skills for the most part and I most likely am above the "Diamond" average skill level but I just can't handle JO anymore. I was wondering how strict they are about the skills being competed. I was planning on competing a double full as my floor opening pass but someone told me that was too advanced for Xcel. I was also planning on doing my memmel/double y-turn but I got the same response as well. On beam I have my back tuck and layout series though I wasn't planning on competing my layout series and just doing a bhs-bhs series instead. I want to know if I really would need to swtich back to JO if I wanted to be able to compete anymore advanced skills since I am planning on doing this for the next 3 years until I graduate. Thank You!

Maybe this will help you, it is the general requirements for xcel: https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/xcel/cop_rev_101314.pdf
Thank You! After looking at this i'm definitely qualified I just don't know if I HAVE to take out my more difficult skills. I was looking forward to being able to compete my skills I got while preping for level 9 like my double full, stalder on bars, double back on bars, back tuck on beam, etc. I definitely don't have the time, commitment, or physical stamina to pursue JO any further. I have also considered joining my highschool team but I thought i would try club Xcel first and if it doesnt work out joining my highschool while im an upperclassmen.

According to the above document, in Diamond there are no restrictions on the # of C elements, but you are restricted to only 1 D element on each event and no E elements. So, double full will be okay on floor as long as you have no other D tumbling or dance. double back on bars and back tuck on beam are both Cs so no problem there. I think stalder is a C as well, but not sure about that one.

According to the above document, in Diamond there are no restrictions on the # of C elements, but you are restricted to only 1 D element on each event and no E elements. So, double full will be okay on floor as long as you have no other D tumbling or dance. double back on bars and back tuck on beam are both Cs so no problem there. I think stalder is a C as well, but not sure about that one.
Thank you! Is the whole code of points- as in the letter vaulue for every single skill available online? Is it something that we have to pay for?

I don't know any on-line links for it, but your gym should have a copy? Most searches for it on-line result in the FIG values which differ slightly from USAG code.

At our gym we have varrying levels competing diamond. I know one girl was previously a L8 and wanted to cut back stress. She does her L8 skills. Another girl is doing more L6/7 skills. She often wins because she has fewer deductions to be taken since there are no bonuses for doing harder stuff, but my DD says she would also choose to put in the harder skills if she had them rather than win with something easy for her.

Thank you! Is the whole code of points- as in the letter vaulue for every single skill available online? Is it something that we have to pay for?
The Xcel Code is very similar to the JO code, so if your gym has that, you could look at it. The Xcel code (and JO Code) are both available for sale in either paper form or a download.

The reason people are telling you those skills are “too advanced” is because Xcel has no composition deductions, no bonus, and no reward for doing harder skills. The bare minimum, done with exceptional form, will win over harder skills at most meets. For example I have seen an Xcel Diamond floor routine with a layout half and FHS + front pike as the tumbling score a 9.5. So yes, the rules allow the harder skills, but you won’t be rewarded for them (which is too bad and one of the areas that needs improvement in Xcel - or they need more levels).

The Xcel Code is very similar to the JO code, so if your gym has that, you could look at it. The Xcel code (and JO Code) are both available for sale in either paper form or a download.
No, they are pretty different. I’d recommend the actual Xcel code for Xcel information.

No, they are pretty different. I’d recommend the actual Xcel code for Xcel information.
I meant that for the most part (except for the extra skills added to the Xcel Code) the A, B, C, and D skills are pretty much the same in both codes. Like if something is a D in the JO code, it won't be a C in the Xcel code.

At our gym, we use the JO code for both JO and Xcel, but we know there are other acceptable skills in Xcel ... it just saves having to pay for the Xcel Code just to figure out the "Letter Value" of skills that are in both.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back