WAG Judge Orders USAG Sex Abuse Files to Be Unsealed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Man, oh man. It's hard to know for sure without seeing USAG's files, but based on the Indy Star's investigative journalism, it looks like USAG would be very wise to settle a lot of this pending litigation and develop even stronger policies going forward. The refusal to investigate reports not made by victims in conjunction with state mandated reporting laws will almost certainly add up to negligence in the eyes of any reasonable factfinder unless there is something we're all missing here. A wave of class action suits could badly damage the organization. If I were USAG's insurer, I'd be trembling in my boots right now.

Man, oh man. It's hard to know for sure without seeing USAG's files, but based on the Indy Star's investigative journalism, it looks like USAG would be very wise to settle a lot of this pending litigation and develop even stronger policies going forward. The refusal to investigate reports not made by victims in conjunction with state mandated reporting laws will almost certainly add up to negligence in the eyes of any reasonable factfinder unless there is something we're all missing here. A wave of class action suits could badly damage the organization. If I were USAG's insurer, I'd be trembling in my boots right now.

Yep they didn't have to be judge and jury. They did have an obligation to report, so it could be appropriately investigated.

Reactions: sce
But is USAG a state-mandated reporter?
I would think that the people who reported it to USAG (if not the gymnast / legal guardian … the ones that USAG said had to sign the complaints to be reported) are more likely to be state mandated reporters than USAG is… and if so, those people dropped the ball by not reporting it to the state.

But is USAG a state-mandated reporter?
I would think that the people who reported it to USAG (if not the gymnast / legal guardian … the ones that USAG said had to sign the complaints to be reported) are more likely to be state mandated reporters than USAG is… and if so, those people dropped the ball by not reporting it to the state.
And if they were a USAG gym by extension they were USAG.

The buck needs to stop some where. Much like Sandusky, Paterno and Penn State.

Indiana has some of the broadest mandated reporting laws in the country, and that is where USAG is headquartered. If I am a smart personal injury lawyer, you'd better believe I am collecting plaintiffs right now to file suit under Indiana's jurisdiction. Furthermore, USAG is likely to have much deeper pockets than a run-of-the-mill coach who thought s/he was doing the right thing by blowing the whistle to USAG.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back