Parents Judge this for me...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think she looked great and that it was a pretty solid routine. I'm guessing she may not have gotten credit for the heel snap turn in the beginning and the full turn. She has very pretty lines! Good luck!

Her back walkover is very nice. Nice scale, nice dismount, nice split leap. I dont think her spin would be credited as she put her foot behind not infront. Her other turns and spins didn't look quite right either. She didn't hold her forward leg hold at the beginning and she seemed to run right out of room at the other end of the beam. That might have affected how clearly they could see her steps and last turn. Did you get info on what they deducted? Nice solid routine really with nice poise.

okay if I were a judge... based on what I have seen the Ne Judges score and how tough they are... I would probably score this routine between 8.2-8.45.
Okay my reason and some deductions.
The routine was very solid with few wobbles and very confident with all skills.
However, I felt it was a tad rushed in some elements that should be done a bit more slowly. The first deduction I saw was the coupe turn. She stumbled a bit on it and therefore it almost didn't look like her foot got all the way around completing the turn correctly.
The next deduction was the split leap because it wasn't 120 degrees and didn't seem to have the amplitude that judges like to see.
the next deductions are just slight bending in knees on back walkover sure just 1/2 tenth or so... Nothing big.
The biggest deduction came with the full turn. She only completed it to 3/4 and had a big wobble. I am not sure the element may not even be counted or it took a big deduction and not sure if that might even be considered a major element fault with a wobble or just a wobble... could have been anywhere from 3 tenths deduction to maybe more and if they didn't count the skill maybe more... Judges can be very picky so I don't know.
The next deduction was the tuck jump to split jump. Not enough amplitude or split. maybe 1 to 2 tenths.
The next was the handstand at the end. First handstand wasn't held 1 sec and the 2nd one was supposed to be held 2 secs. 2 tenths deduction. I am not sure about body positioning or releve on toes deductions but since all gymnasts make some errors in those I am sure the judges could have taken off for some of that too... probably not many since she looks great and has nice lines throughout the routine.
I am interested into what the score was now:)
She did great:)

I also got somewhere between a 8.2 - 8.4, Based on MN Judging.. I found the same things as other posters. Biggest deductions would be the full turn, I am not sure if she got credit for it and then she had a couple wobbles. The Split jump and split leap were a both a little low. I also agree with the dismount hold the first handstand for 1 and the second for 2. Some other little things were the pivot turn, My DD once got killed on her score because she didnt turn her pivot turn 180.

Now that we picked apart her routine, she has very very nice poise, Nice crisp movements Pretty pointed toes! She is a lovely gymnast!

I agree with what some of the other posters were saying. She did a good job, just needs to clean up some of the form breaks, bent knees, completing the skills and getting her jumps a bit higher. She made her BWO which is huge!! I'd like to know what she got now!! You can check Olivia's routine on the link below, too. She scored a 7.9 without the BWO. Could've been worse!

Here is what I saw from an untrained set of eyes:

A bit wobbly throughout.
feet came apart at mount,
snap heel missed and stepped down
bent knees at bwo
pivot only made to 90deg
next turn almost missed and stepped down (nice save!)
slight bent at knees at split jump
misstepped after scale (nice scale btw!)

My guess: low to mid 8s (could be a tad lower)

Last edited:
I asked my dd to watch your video. After multiple seasons of level 6 she is an expert on that beam routine. Here's what she said:
She needs to not rush especially through poses - such as the leg hold at the beginning (nice height for the leg though)
Split leap needs to be open more and higher.
Better form on bwo (bent knees)
Nice leg swing, but dd doesn't think she would get any credit for the pivot turn after because she didn't pivot all the way back before turning back forward.
Big wobble on full turn (that thing is a killer), good for her hanging on to it!
Jump series need more amplitude and bigger split.
She needs to hold the scale and handstands longer.

Dd guessed a high 7 or low 8 for score.

It is a good routine, just needs some tweaking. I think the most important would be to not rush.

Good luck.

I agree with everyone else's assessment. She looks lovely up there, very pretty form and pointed toes. I have heard that touching your foot on a turn can be a fall, so who knows if that is true or not and if they took those deductions. The mom in me thought is was just beautiful!! And it has lots of potential to be a great routine!!!

Here is what I saw from an untrained set of eyes:

A bit wobbly throughout.
feet came apart at mount,
snap heel missed and stepped down
bent knees at bwo
pivot only made to 90deg
next turn almost missed and stepped down (nice save!)
slight bent at knees at split jump
misstepped after scale (nice scale btw!)

My guess: low to mid 8s (could be a tad lower)

I agree--I also think her dismount needs to be held longer before turning, then again before dismount. Around here she would have gotten an upper 7.

I thought she did GREAT and agree with all the other posters. I am guessing 7.9. Definitely will improve if she slows down a bit.

Depends on how picky the judges were being. I could see it being a low 7.

As for the turn, if you are over on a turn, they deduct up to .2. Incomplete turns lose the value of the element (.4), plus she has balance errors. The pivot turns are also incomlete.

She does need to slow down and show a finish after the skills. The routine looks too rushed and that can make it look sloppy.

She also starts the turn on the dismount before being completely vertical. The could deduct for not reaching veritcal on the 1st handstand, in addition to .1 for not holding, plus .2 for not holding 2nd handstand for 2 seconds.

Little things, but they all seem to add up.

Thanks so much to you all. I hope the suspense wasn't killing you all. I didn't want to sway your opinions. I honestly saw some of the mistakes pointed out but some I was unaware of...which is why I asked for input. I guess all the little deductions do add up....

What made it worse was when I asked her beam coach (aka director of the program) what went wrong, her response was she wasn't real sure of the scores the girls received, she didn't pay much attention to that.(what??) and asked ME if she completed certain elements. (who is the expert here???). She felt overall the girls improved from their first meet on Halloween. uuuhhh...don't think so..at the halloween meet her beam was a 9.0. GGGRRRRR...

Anywho..she received a 7.6 as a score which threw me for a loop b/c other girls who fell from the beam on their BWO and dismounts were scoring higher and it baffled me. From my "mom eyes"--it was a 10.00 routine :)

Swiftli, I cant help on the judging but wanted to agree, she has a nice routine and once she fixes the little things, she will be awesome!

I watched your video earlier today but didn't comment in regards to judging since our system is so different here.
I thought your daughter has beautiful lines and lots of poise but I guess those tenths of points sure do add up quick. I'd be frustrated if my daughter's coach was asking me if she completed elements I know that they can't see everything especially if there are multiple girls competing, but our coaches can always approach the judges for feedback which is great!

I cheated and watched the video and then read the comments...I'm not great at judging things anyway, LOL

Just wanted to say I thought your DD was beautiful on beam and seems like she just needs a little touch-up here and there. She got all the pointed toes and skills. I agree with the others, it seemed a little rushed and may not have received the full credit for some of the stuff she looks like she can do easily, just hurried thru a little. Maybe she was just nervous? My DD is opposite, goes too slow and tends to go overtime. I think you will see her beam score go up tons after little fixes.

I think it's better to go slower and take the 0.10 overtime deduction, than rush, wobble and potentially fall. That's JMHO. What do you think??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back