WAG Judges: How heavily deducted are Compulsory Beam Mounts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CoachMeg

Coach
I've been having a real hard time getting my L3's to execute the mount like how it's written in the book. My 4s and 5s do it well, but for some reason the 3s are having trouble doing the "whip" motion and passing through the push-up position before putting their knee on the beam. A few of them do it right, but the majority bend their bad-leg before it gets above beam height in order to land on it. Am I making sense? I can picture it in my head but it's kind of hard to put into words.

Basically, how heavily deducted are these mounts? I see some teams do them well and others barely scrape their knee on the beam to land in the sitting position. Am I just being overly critical at this point? The rest of their routines look really good so I'm trying to pick at the little details. Are compulsory mounts only judged on form and connection? Or are they deducted for not passing through the straight body "push-up" before setting their knee on the beam?

ALSO, would any judge like to critique one of my L3's beam routine from this past meet? She got a 9.8. I know one part where she messed up but after looking in the book it's only 0.05. Just want to know where the other 0.15 are possibly coming from (this girl also does the funky mount where she doesn't pass through the push-up, but if it's not something that's usually deducted then I'd like to focus my coaching on other details instead of doing lots of mounts). Again, probably being overly critical but a coach can dream about that 10.0, right? :D

Don't need to pass through push up, the free leg just has to swing to height of the beam. In reality a lot of the kids who actually do this show a casting motion before landing in the single leg kneel. But they don't have to. Mount is not a major element in this cycle, so it's a text error plus execution (bending the leg that should be straight, etc). Also keep in mind rhythm because going slow on the mount (which was choreographed to keep moving in this cycle vs the mounts of the last cycle) is a contributor to going overtime.

My advice is know the major elements and focus on those. Most of the deductions (specific deductions plus posture and quality of movement) come off those. Once you get into 9.7+ text is possibly and issue but for your average kid cleaning up the major elements is the low hanging fruit.

On a solid level 3 beam that hits most of the major elements, I would say the common deductions are the leap being uneven, lack of releve, amplitude on the jumps, and those coaches that like to have the level 3s lift their legs way up on the ronde de jambe.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back