WAG Judges?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hawaii_gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
To any of the judges out there, please tell me it gets easier. I have just started an online judging course for our Canadian system (modified FIG rules) and trying to memorize all these symbols seems impossible as of right now. Any judges out there have any tips of how to memorize them and once you have been judging for a while does it seem like second nature.

To any of the judges out there, please tell me it gets easier. I have just started an online judging course for our Canadian system (modified FIG rules) and trying to memorize all these symbols seems impossible as of right now. Any judges out there have any tips of how to memorize them and once you have been judging for a while does it seem like second nature.

Compulsory routines and low level optional routines. Lots of them. Doing the shorthand as you're watching routines on Youtube was the best way for me to retain the symbols. You're going to need the kip, RO BHS, FHS, BWO, etc. symbols for every level, so get those down first.

Also, know that a lot of judges use their own symbols once they get past the basic kip, cast, RO BHS, etc. symbols. I definitely don't do the full out shorthand for a Gienger, for example.

Thanks, no need for me to know the shorthand for gienger any time soon. The course I am taking is for about to approximately L6 US JO. I have started understanding some of the symbols but judging the practice routines they gave I would get a very similar E score, but lots of the deductions I took were different then they said. Oh well I guess it will come with time.

Compulsory routines and low level optional routines. Lots of them. Doing the shorthand as you're watching routines on Youtube was the best way for me to retain the symbols. You're going to need the kip, RO BHS, FHS, BWO, etc. symbols for every level, so get those down first.

Also, know that a lot of judges use their own symbols once they get past the basic kip, cast, RO BHS, etc. symbols. I definitely don't do the full out shorthand for a Gienger, for example.

Do you use the 'G' for Gienger? :)

Why, of course! Why would I write "back giant entry into a piked/layout flyaway with a half twist" when a big, circled G would suffice? :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back