Jump to high bar mental block

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone, I need some serious help. Here's the story. Last season was my first year on the team(I am in recreational optional) and they were trying to get me to jump to the high bar. I could do it when the bars were really close together, but I couldn't compete it that season because after a while, they moved the bars in a little bit farther out and I was too scared. However, that summer, I went to a gymnastics day camp for a week, and they moved the bars in really close for me, and I could jump to the high bar! The next day, they moved the bars out a little bit farther, and I could still do it! (This was with a squat on, not a climb up) Then I could do it for part of the summer season back at my own gym, and then I lost it again. In the fall, I started doing it again because they put a big mat underneath the bar, and I tried climbing up instead of squating on. But then, after a while, I hadn't practiced it for a long time, and I lost it again, even with the mat underneath. I thought maybe it would be easier with a squat on, but I couldn't do squat ons when facing the high bar anymore because I thought that I would jump out and accidentally catch the high bar, which was really scary. I haven't done it for about 7 months now, and I still haven't done it in competition all season. I am not scared of getting hurt, I am scared of the feeling I get when I catch it. I think maybe I could do it now if the mat was under the bar, but now that big mat is in the foam pit. Could someone please give me some advice? Sorry this is so long!

Maybe If you try thinking of all the times that you've made it sucessfully- When I am afraid to something I try to think of the times when I made it and not of the times that I haven't. Best of Luck :)
-paige

I have tried doing that. I have tried ignoring every single negative thought that comes into my mind, but it doesn't work. Thanks for your help anyway, though.

Don't think about it. Before you have to try it and you tried it and you didn't get it. I had a HUGE mental block with my backflip. I competed it for 2 years. And then one day I couldn't do it on the floor or the rod floor at all. Even with a coach. I could do my front flip stepout roundoff backhandspring back layout on the tumble track. It started ruining the rest of my practices. I wanted to quit. But I stuck with it and have it now. Do you do any high bar? Does your coach lift you up on to the bar? Ask your coach to help you on it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back